• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A grab of of Questions...

phoenixgod2000

First Post
these are the various questions that have come up in the last few gaming sessions

1. Does Charm Person/Monster, Suggesstion, or Dominate person count as offensive actions for the purpose of dispelling invisibility?

2. If you are invisible and you are grappled, does breaking a grapple count as an offensive action? Would Escape Artist?

3. If a shade (FR Template) goes to an outer plane do they lose their shade powers since they are no longer on a plane that is connected to the plane of shadows?

4. Does blindsense allow a dragon to target a person with mirror image up, or does that spell defeat their senses?

Thanks

hong

WotC's bitch
1. Yes, they're targeted spells

2. No, because you don't actually damage the other guy

3. See, you wouldn't have that problem if you didn't go to outer planes

4. You can always target someone with mirror image up, you just have to roll the miss chance. Blindsense doesn't help, since all that does is let you pinpoint someone's square; you need blindsight.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
hong said:
Blindsense doesn't help, since all that does is let you pinpoint someone's square; you need blindsight.

Well, that depends on whether you use the spell text (Each figment must be within 5 feet of the caster or another figment), or the FAQ answer (which recommends putting all figments in the same square for convenience).

Since the spell text potentially allows for not all the figments to be in the same square as the caster, pinpointing the square can be helpful...

-Hyp.

Psimancer

First Post
hong said:
2. No, because you don't actually damage the other guy.
Actually, I don't agree here. Damage potential is not the definition of an attack. I would say that attempting to escape via an opposed grapple check would break invisibility (it requires force), but by escape artist it wouldn't (it requires being 'squirmy').

On a RAW level, escaping a grapple by opposing checks is an attack action, but via escape artist it is a standard action.

Some DMs may rule that both would break invis (both are listed in the Special Attacks section), but I wouldn't.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Psimancer said:
Some DMs may rule that both would break invis (both are listed in the Special Attacks section), but I wouldn't.
By that logic (for those DMs), then aiding another to decipher script would also break invisibility. I think using the definition of 'attack' gives us the best idea of what breaks invisibility: "Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent."

starwed

First Post
The relevant rules for what the invisibility spell considers an attack:
Attacks: Some spell descriptions refer to attacking. All offensive combat actions, even those that don’t damage opponents are considered attacks. Attempts to turn or rebuke undead count as attacks. All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, or that otherwise harm or hamper subjects are attacks. Spells that summon monsters or other allies are not attacks because the spells themselves don’t harm anyone.

frankthedm

First Post
The thing is your foe is holding on to you as best it can. Applying your str and combat skill seems damn violent. you are not just avoiding a blow, you are at the least shoving your foe and yourself apart. I could not blame anyone who said 'break grapple' would drop inviso.

Psimancer

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
By that logic (for those DMs), then aiding another to decipher script would also break invisibility.
To aid another on skill check would count as a skill check and would be governed by those rules (Combining Skill Attempts: Aid Another). To aid another on a melee attack is governed by the 'Special Attacks: Aid Another' rules and would most definitely break invisibility. As would all the other Special Attacks IMHO: Bull Rush, Charge, Disarm, Feint, Grapple, Mounted Combat, Overrun, Sunder, Throw Splash Weapon, Trip, Turn Or Rebuke Undead & Two-Weapon Fighting.

Alpha Polaris

First Post
starwed said:
The relevant rules for what the invisibility spell considers an attack:

Interesting. So, according to this ruling, would a Dispel Magic targeted at a specific spell --rather than one targeted at a creature -- count as an attack ? It is not resisted with a saving throw, does no damage, an no real harm: losing the effect of bull strength hardly counts as being harmed, or does it ?

Remove ads