A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

Dr Simon

Explorer
"This... I am not knowing," says Rexun. "It is not a dwarven thing, nor is blue skin of his followers. I have not seen dwarf like it." He takes a breath and stands up straighter. "Some months back, we are all contact with Fanjyr losing. We think maybe it is snows in pass, this happens. But come spring and no word. And then our scouts find man on borders of Zwergenberg, he is badly wounded being. He says he is with Warders of Midnight Sun, and is to tell our king that Fanjyr has been by evil creatures taken.

"King Eisenbart sends me to investigate, and I find dwarves here, I am that our allies have the keep re-taken thinking, but possibly they are of the Copper Dwarves. They spot me as I approach, so I am talking with them trying, but after they let me in they take my arms and armour and throw me in prison in cellar. This Haxmar comes from time to time to beat me, but he does not any questions ask."
He frowns. "Sometimes he tells me that I will a poor sacrifice make. To what, I am not knowing. Tonight, before your men rescue me, he says I may live longer as he has a much better substitute found."

Shayuri

First Post
"He called himself the Cobalt Dwarf," Arcata says to Rexun as she studies him. "Does that mean anything to you? And who are the Warders of the Midnight Sun?"

Privately she was increasingly concerned. Rexun's story might be true or lie, but either way Haxmar had decided to let her hear it uncontested. Why? It felt to her more and more that Haxmar simply didn't care if she believed him or not...as long as she was safe and sound in this tower. And a sacrifice did explain why Rexun had been allowed to live this long.

But there were problems with Rexun too. Not as big, but nagging at her. In particular, why did a herald to the king speak such broken Common? Were dwarves the only folk he ever dealt with?

jkason

First Post
Bastian tensed at the mention of a 'better sacrifice,' but shoved down his concerns to keep out of Arcata's way. She worked with the people. His skills were for when she'd exhausted diplomacy.

Hopefully, one or both sets of skills would be enough to get them out of here alive.

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Cobalt Dwarf is meaning nothing to me," says Rexun. "Except that in legends of my people, Cobalt is same as Kobold, evil creature of underground. It is a strange name for a dwarf to be taking. And I am not these Wardens hearing before, but the man said they are watchers against creatures from the faerie realm." He rubs the remains of his beard. "Is there a connection between Wardens and Cobalt Dwarf, I am thinking. Watchers watch for magical creatures, Cobalt Dwarf takes name of magical creature..."

[sblock=Arcata]
Now that she is considering Rexun with suspicion, it seems to her that he is holding something back about himself.

Also, Arcata has heard of the Wardens before.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Comoray]
Comoray considers what he knows about sacrifices. The dwarves don't commonly practise it, as far as he knows, especially as they are part of the Church of Velshionne, albeit unorthodox. The only thing that comes to mind is your old friend the Cult of Crom Cruach.
[/sblock]

Kaodi

Hero
"Well," says Comoray, "If we were operating on the assumption that these Cobalt Dwarves were somehow connected to the Beastmen we defeated at the fort, any sort of sacrifice would be completely in character for the Cult of Crom Cruach." The priest clearly seems to uncomfortable with the thought.

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah stood up straight at the mention of the missing Warden, though he said nothing. Once Comoray had tied the fort to the Beastmen's cult, he chimed in "Makes sense. This place feel wrong. Like fairies here." He grunted, satisfied at how things were working out. "Where is Warden now? I want to speak with him."

Axel

First Post
"Good. We go there later," Sh'aah replied. Having nothing else to offer he lapsed back into silence, staring at the Dwarf.

jkason

First Post
Bastian moves toward the window, trying to see outside without planting himself right in the middle of the opening and making a gleaming target of himself. He keeps an eye on what he can see of the outside and on the dwarven agent as the discussions continue.

"We have to get out of here in one piece before we can go much of anywhere," he offers. "If we go north from here, we need to eliminate the occupying force here, or we'll have to face them on the way back through, with whatever reinforcements they can generate, and we risk their attack on our fort without our ability to warn our people."

Remove ads