• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Korean Prostitute's calling card (anyone know Korean)? - threadomanced

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I clicked on this thread, and immediately noticed the KoreaCupid.com ad to the right. I love accidentally appropriate coincidences!

I also love how Philippino wives are popular in Korea, while Korean women are advertised here.

Hussar

Legend
So, umm...related to the topic of Korea, has anyone else seen Queen Seon Deok?

I've watched the first 2 episodes, would love to catch more of it. Great historical drama about some of the early rulers of one of the longest empires ever to exist in the history of mankind that my stupid public school education never mentioned even once.

To be honest, I haven't seen the show, so this is a bit uninformed, but I would take any Korean "historical" drama with an ENORMOUS dollop of salt. Korean history is a very politicized subject. The fact that it wasn't mentioned in your history classes in your public school is not necessarily evidence of the lack of knowledge of your school.

Besides, the Silla dynasty lasted from about 50 AD to about 900 AD. It was one of the three kingdoms. But, hardly one of the longest empires. It was a tiny little kingdom that shared an area about the size of New York State with two other kingdoms.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
To be honest, I haven't seen the show, so this is a bit uninformed, but I would take any Korean "historical" drama with an ENORMOUS dollop of salt. Korean history is a very politicized subject. The fact that it wasn't mentioned in your history classes in your public school is not necessarily evidence of the lack of knowledge of your school.

Besides, the Silla dynasty lasted from about 50 AD to about 900 AD. It was one of the three kingdoms. But, hardly one of the longest empires. It was a tiny little kingdom that shared an area about the size of New York State with two other kingdoms.

Oh, it's definitely historical fiction, it's just classified as "historical drama" for some reason. But...I LIKE historical fiction. Also, it's on Hulu right now, hadn't realized that. I've now seen 4 episodes, it seems to just keep getting better.

As for its length...I guess wikipedia no longer has a page for the list, all I could find was the list of longest lasting empires from one of the users. Has Silla at 5th longest in duration...ever, though. Unless his dates are completely and uterrly off-kilter, seems pretty impressive to me.

The thing about my schooling was...I didn't learn anything about Korea. At all. Or Africa. Or Australia. Asia as a whole wasn't covered much. I read up on the history of some of those places on my own, but nothing in the actual classes. Maybe Silla wasn't important enough to mention, sure. I just felt like ripping on my world history classes a little.

Last edited:

Mantra

First Post
To be honest, I haven't seen the show, so this is a bit uninformed, but I would take any Korean "historical" drama with an ENORMOUS dollop of salt. Korean history is a very politicized subject.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. I have found most the historical dramas here in Korea very difficult to stomach. Pride and over the top dramatization is a bad historical mix.

Hussar

Legend
SotS- oh totally agrre. Didn't learn anything about Korea either. I've often wonderd why Hollywood almost never talks about the Korean War.

Mantra

First Post
SotS- oh totally agrre. Didn't learn anything about Korea either. I've often wonderd why Hollywood almost never talks about the Korean War.

It isn't called "the forgotten war" for nothing! It probally isn't talked about much because it is wedged between WWII and Vietnam. Both of which are sexier conflicts. Outside of the first year of the Korean War (re police action!) the front lines were pretty much stagnant...as they are today.

Remove ads