• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A list of useful resources

Kerrick

First Post
I thought it might be handy to have a list of 3.5 revisionist resources. These are either other folks' 3.5 revisions, or resources that delve into the mechanics, enabling you to better understand and modify things to your taste. If you know of more, let me know and I'll add them to the list.

3.5 Sites

3.5 Sanctuary

Revisions and Variant Rules

Book of Experimental Might, by Monte Cook. A collection of house rules he currently uses - 1-20 level spells; new abilities for clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers; a new base class; and rules for extending the adventuring day.

Brilliant Gameologists' Rebalancing 3.5 Project. I found this link on the WotC boards and checked it out. They make a bunch of minor changes; it might be worth mining for ideas.

Pathfinder. Paizo's 3.75 RPG. Available as a free beta pdf or you can buy the final rules (in August) in hardback. It stays fairly close to the base 3.5 system.

Project Phoenix. A complete overhaul of the 3.5 system including epic rules, sans character creation and advancement rules. Major changes to the system in some places, but still very compatible.

Raven Crowking's Fantasy Game (RCFG). "A design project to create a new, free, all-or-nearly-all OGC (Open Gaming Content) RPG, utilizing the OGL v1.0a by Wizards of the Coast. The goal is to create a game where easy conversion is possible between various editions of the World’s Most Popular Fantasy RPG (as well as other systems), to facilitate sandbox play, and to allow flavour/verisimilitude to inform mechanics whenever possible." (from the site description)

Trailblazer. A collection of rules fixes from Badaxe Games. Includes copious designer notes. (The link is a free preview; the final product will be available for sale "before GenCon".)

Resources

Challenging Challenge Ratings, v5 (hosted with permission). Upper Krust's system for determining monster challenge ratings; also has some guidelines on monster creation and encounter design.

The Grand OGL Wiki. A huge resource of OGC material from many 3rd party publishers.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Book of Experimental Might II, and - if you prefer two-in-one - the Collected Book of Experimental Might, in print. The second book covers the non-spellcasters.

Kerrick

First Post
If you list something, give me a link, please - I'm too lazy to look the stuff up myself. :). Also, the BoXM link above goes to the Collected version - apparently that's the only one available now.

Remove ads