A Magic: The Gathering RP?

ccs

41st lv DM
as for "vintage", that is a format of card selections that includes all cards ever printed in MTG. like the planes walkers of old, we will have accsess to power, undremept of by other mortals. lol

Yes, I know what the Vintage format is.
But as I'm nearly 10 years out from the last MTG game I played I didn't know if thats what vinnage was refering to, it's own thing (there's what 50k new cards printed since I last played?), a typo, etc.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I started designing a M:TG campaign, which got some of my fellow gamers excited. Then I told them it was in HERO.

frabz-Crickets-Crickets-EVERYWHERE-3ec41b.jpg

So much for THAT. The thing is, it is a good system for that setting: I had worked out mana (including color and it's sources) and how to make slivers work. :(

Plus, AFAIK, there's no card in the game I couldn't model with HERO's power system, including card combos.

Last edited:

The Joker

First Post
the HERO system... never thought of that one. hmmm... do you think i should use the Hero system or are there any other suggestions for what system?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
HERO is my favorite system bar none. But it isn't for everyone. Many balk at the math, even though it's almost all simple stuff, and largely confined to character creation/modification. I personally can't think of a better system to handle all those different card mechanics.

That said, I would be surprised if one of the other major "toolkit" RPG systems couldn't handle it almost as well. GURPS and its fantasy supplements, for instance. Or Mutants & Masterminds with its Warriors & Warlocks and Book of Magic supplements. Savage Worlds, perhaps.

And even though it wouldn't model everything, I bet The Cypher System could let you get the right campaign feel, even if the mechanics don't mirror the source material.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I found some early brainstorming notes:

COLORS OF MAGIC:

"In HERO, PCs physical abilities and powers run off of a stat called Endurance, but it is also possible to have a separate "Endurance Reserves" for specific powers.

These Mana Pools (END Res) should be small with a high recharge rate in order to simulate the tapping of land for mana, with all said land becoming untapped the next turn- this means for any END Res, END = REC. Since END Res are purchased at 1CP/4END, 1CP/3REC, they will be purchased in 7CP blocks (before Limitations), each being 12END 12REC

So for this game, all magical effects will run off of color-specific END Res representing mana. Thus, red spells require at least some red mana, blue spells some blue mana, etc., and the powering of artifacts can use any mana.

A PC with a Red END Res and a END Res would be Red and Blue creature, period. Active effects of other colors- such as spells placed in them by others- don't change a creature's color, but may still be affected by "Protection from (Color)" effects, making it more in line with M:tG's actual mechanics.

To determine HOW MUCH colored Mana a spell requires, I toyed with some kind of level system or preset ratios, but sometimes, simpler is better.

SO HERE IT IS: the simple majority of a spell's mana (endurance) cost must come from an appropriately colored source. If a spell is "multicolored", the majority cost must be as evenly split between the colors as possible, and the player has the discretion as to the actual ratio.

Mana Burn: Side Effect Limitation on the END Res

NOTE: naked Power Advantages H6th, p314-15.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A few more notes:

CREATURE ABILITIES:

"Simulating 'Upkeep': Mana- or other cost- must be paid repeatedly"

"Simulating 'Tapping creatures/artifacts': "

"Simulating 'powers that Destroy': "RKA/HKA Linked to (Complex Power?) Drain: Heal (Resurrect)

"Simulating 'Vigilance/Does not Tap to Attack': Damage Shield; Advantage Always On; Linked to an attack or naked Power Advantage"

"Simulating 'Untargetable: + DCV Characteristic, only versus targeted magical effects"

"Simulating 'Summoning Sickness': "

"Simulating 'Haste': campaign condition does not exist "

"Simulating 'First Strike': Lightning Reflexes."

"Simulating 'Double Strike': Autofire naked advantage."

"Simulating '(Land)walk': Desolid; Limitation only in (Terrain); Advantage Zero End cost; Advantage to at least one attack works while Desolid ."

"Simulating 'Protection from (Color)': Full Damage Reduction vs (Color)."

"Simulating 'Reach': ."

"Simulating 'Trample': Sticky?."

"Simulating 'Rampage': Conditional stat boost ."

"Simulating 'Phasing': Desolid, Advantage Zero End cost, uncontrolled, usable only on turn phases when creature is not active."

"Simulating 'Echo': Summon with a repeated cost."

"Simulating 'Discards': Drains/Suppress."

"Simulating 'Mana destroyers/tappers': Drains/Suppress."

"Simulating 'Controls/Steals': Mind Controls, TK,"

"Simulating 'Sacrifice/Graveyard exchanges': Transforms."

"Simulating 'Poisonous': NND, continuous, Advantage Zero End cost, linked to another attack"

"Simulating 'Shadow': Desolid; does not work against other creatures with Shadow, Advantage Always On; Advantage to at least one attack works while Desolid."

"Simulating 'Fear': ; +Cha for Pre attacks only (Mental attack?), AoE: Explosion, Advantage Always On; does not work vs Black or Artifact creatures."

"Simulating 'Shroud': Supression."

"Simulating 'Familiars': small creatures with magical powers. If drawn from M:tG, card cost must be 1 or less. HERO build point cost ceiling to be set."

Remove ads