• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A magical nightmare

miatoromatic

First Post
I introduced the game to a group of newbies (including myself) and found that they don't like to write down their spells so they have to crack the book open while playing, is there an alternative to Gale Force spellbook cards (which ran out everywhere).

Or some kind of downloadable and searchable spell book or something.

Bupp

Adventurer
I'm making my own spell cards in Google docs. I just create a 3x3 table, set the cell sizes to 2.5"x3.5" (standard playing card size) and print them out. I use card collection pages to make "spellbooks".

jgsugden

Legend
If you're new, your PCs are likely low level. That means few spells known at any given time. Get them to write a brief summary of the spells on a sheet of paper that they can use as a quick reference.

Once of my players photocopied the relevant pages from the PHB, cut out the spells and taped them onto another sheet of paper.

Unwise

Adventurer
This attached file was a god send. It completely changed the dynamics of handling the spell system in 5e for me. It lists every spell for every class as well as giving you the stats you need for it. It also has a little tick box to show if you are prepared it.

<edit> Credit to: Joost Wijnen – flapkan@gmail.com (Not me)

Attachments

• Complete Spell Sheets per class (A4).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 239
Last edited:

miatoromatic

First Post
This attached file was a god send. It completely changed the dynamics of handling the spell system in 5e for me. It lists every spell for every class as well as giving you the stats you need for it. It also has a little tick box to show if you are prepared it.

T-that is a godsend, thank you so much!

Winterfell

First Post

Thank you for posting this. We have a bunch of spell casters in our group and new players at that. I think this just helped speed up some rounds and provide better understandings of the spells.

/salute

Uchawi

First Post
The problem with spells is no matter what format you have via hardcopy, the DM also needs access, because each one has the potential to create it's own sub-system (different effects, modifiers, etc.). So over time there will some interesting interpretations by players in regards to how they can or will be used. The DM has to stay on top of it.

Remove ads