• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A magical... wheelchair?

LazarusLong42

First Post
So, after realizing that for RP reasons I needed to put one of my NPCs into a wheelchair... and then realizing that an actual wheelchair won't work very well on rutted streets, and that there's nothing specifically so designed in the DMG (unless I've missed something)... I decided to write my own.

Please feel free to critique (especially the price, which I'm rather unsure about), or yoink, as you wish. :)

Larwell's Levitating Litter

This litter comes in two forms. Stowed, the first form appears to be two brass poles, each eight feet long, connected by four feet of fine velvet. When unfurled, the litter hangs in the air, three feet above the ground, forming a floating cot. The litter can carry a single medium humanoid and his gear, or three hundred pounds of gear, without falling to the ground. It can be pulled along by a rope attached to one end. Moving the litter in this way is equivalent to dragging one-third the weight on the litter, though with no reduction in speed. Adventurers often use this form to carry an incapacitated comrade. The second form is similar, but both poles and cloth are bent near the middle, forming a seat. A creature sitting in the seat may cause it to move forward at thirty feet per round, or to turn with good maneuverability, by simply thinking about it. This second form is often used by disabled persons as a method of locomotion. Both forms will continuously hover three feet above the ground while unfurled, moving up or down only when the ground's elevation changes. Litters designed for Large creatures (which are twice as large and float five feet above the ground) cost four times as much.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, fly; Price 2500 gp (cot or seat); Weight 20 lb.

Beholder Bob

First Post
Sounds good - with the note added: it takes a move action for it to be directed to move 30' unless towed by another. Towing the litter results in them losing DEX AC. The person in the litter is prone unless they control the litter, in which case their DEX drops to 10 (or lower if their DEX is below 10) for purpose of DEX AC bonus [note: this is not the same as losing your DEX bonus]. Combat in the litter incurs the penalty listed under levitation (cumulative -1). If struck while in the litter, make a balance check vs DC = damage taken (getting hit for 30 points of damage knocks you right off..) It provides 3/4 cover from attacks from below. It floats as a poor quality raft on water (it does not levitate over liquid).

Fly is the correct base spell, even though it is similar to levitate and floating disc, it provides horizontal movement and no vertical movement other then the initial 3'.

The above limits to AC and such added: so that it isn't a free movement (move 30' and still cast a full round spell).

For the aquatic version: Tenser's Floating Turtle?

Centaur

First Post
I'd be interested to here the RP reasons for needing such a device rather than paying for a Heal Spell (much cheaper). With the D&D magic system being what it is, there is no valid reason that anyone would ever need a wheelchair, except for pure RP reasons. Unless your in a low magic world and Heal is unavailable, but I ramble....

Back on topic.

Obviously the litter function is cool when your in the field and need to transport fallen comrads and your out of healing potions.

I personaly would have the prereq. be Tensers floating disk. Your description of how it moves is very similar to the spell.

Other than that, I think it's fine.

Remove ads