• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A mechanical solution to the problem with rests

Hillsy7

First Post
Seems exactly of the sort. 'Story based' just means the players are free to distort game balance (collect system mastery rewards) and punch down encounter difficulties, whether it's by pushing a mechanical button like a spell or gaming the DM.

Gaming the DM? That's a new one......

"We rest."
"Again?"
"Yeah, I need more rages."
"The clock is ticking, you know"
*Waves hand* "The clock isn't ticking for half an hour"
"....yeah it is. And The summoning will be done in about...ooo.....five minutes"
*Waves hand again* "You won't summon anything"
"Yeah I will, and the demon is going to destroy your home village First.....Polymorphed as you."
*Stares at hand* "Why aren't you working?!"

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I find the Adventures in Middle Earth (a 5e supplement and setting from a 3rd party publisher that holds the official license rights) to be really helpful in expanding on the normal 5e long rest rules. Here they are, in part:

Adventures In Middle Earth said:
A long rest can be a fuzzy thing to define as the [DM]...a few needs to be met to enjoy a long rest:

Safety from threat of attack
This could mean a thorough watch is posted – for example, a well guarded Elf camp in [their forest] would allow a long rest. Arguably lying rolled in your cloak in a ditch just off the Forest Road, with your [Halfling] friend trying to stay awake and watch for Spiders, would not.

Comfort
Sleeping in a Dwarf hall carved from the heart of a mountain is a very different experience than sleeping in a Goblin tunnel. Comfort might mean a bed. It might mean good food. It might mean good company that allows for proper rest.

Tranquility
Some locations may simply provide an air of peace that means good rest is available to a company. This could be an ancient Elf ruin that has held onto some of its former glow of goodness. It could be a campsite next to a bright river that raises the spirits. This is very much in line with building the feeling of [the Setting], [if it is one] where characters can find peace in the wildest of places.

As the [DM], it is up to you when you allow access to such a location. You may keep a couple of flexible options in reserve at all times to allow the [party] some respite if things go unexpectedly badly for them, or they make a gamble that doesn’t pay off.

Last edited:

As [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION] says, the Adventures in Middle Earth book changes the dynamic. You can take a short rest anywhere, but to take a long rest you need to be in a "sanctuary", which is a place like home or Rivendell or a safe town. You take a long rest when taking a break in the middle of a long journey or between adventures.

But, it also means if you're having a downtime game where you're wandering through town investigating a local problem or generally getting into PC shenanigans (drinking contest for one) you're not penalised by not being able to rest.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
As [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION] says, the Adventures in Middle Earth book changes the dynamic. You can take a short rest anywhere, but to take a long rest you need to be in a "sanctuary", which is a place like home or Rivendell or a safe town. You take a long rest when taking a break in the middle of a long journey or between adventures.

But, it also means if you're having a downtime game where you're wandering through town investigating a local problem or generally getting into PC shenanigans (drinking contest for one) you're not penalised by not being able to rest.

Actually Sanctuaries are a different rule. You don't need a Sanctuary to do a long rest, though you definitely can long rest in a Sanctuary. You just need the three things I listed above (Safety from threat of attack, Comfort, and Tranquility).

Sanctuaries involve even more stuff you can do, similar to the 5e Downtime Rules. A party only retires to a Sanctuary after a season of adventuring, generally to stay for around a season (three months) and they get to to do an Undertaking (which lets them heal disease, train, gain a trait, recover from corruption, unlock an ability from a virtue (feat), meet a patron, gain a title, research lore, open another sanctuary, etc.).

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Actually Sanctuaries are a different rule. You don't need a Sanctuary to do a long rest, though you definitely can long rest in a Sanctuary. You just need the three things I listed above (Safety from threat of attack, Comfort, and Tranquility).

Sanctuaries involve even more stuff you can do, similar to the 5e Downtime Rules. A party only retires to a Sanctuary after a season of adventuring, generally to stay for around a season (three months) and they get to to do an Undertaking (which lets them heal disease, train, gain a trait, recover from corruption, unlock an ability from a virtue (feat), meet a patron, gain a title, research lore, open another sanctuary, etc.).

That's elegant. I'll have to check that game out.

Hillsy7

First Post
Do you mind if I ask why? Limiting rests in an open ended RPG seems....very off to me.

Hehe....

"Please, save my baby from those Orcs!"
"I'm sorry ma'am, we've got to fight the baron in three weeks time, and after that possibly a necromancer somewhere in the winter and we can't afford to take unnecessary damage and rest too often. Try the local fighters guild......"

OB1

Jedi Master
[MENTION=71699]vonklaude[/MENTION]

I think you have a decent solution, but you've made the same mistake regarding the 6-8 encounter guideline. As has been discussed, there is a 3-18 encounter guideline that covers the use of easy to deadly in expected adventuring day XP.

That said, I think their is a a mechanical solution (as an optional rule) that still allows for some flexibility. Personally, I would only implement the Level 1 alternate rule below, as I prefer more flexibility and to rely on story to curb rest abuse, but I think for those willing to give up flexibility for challenge, it's an excellent and simple solution.

Alternate Rest Rules using Encounter Points
Level 1 - When a rest is interrupted for combat, it must be restarted.
Level 2 - Encounter Point Variant - but allow an 8 hour short uninterrupted rest and a 7 day long uninterrupted rest
Level 3 - Encounter Point Variant - Only way to recover abilities is through encounter points

Encounter Point Spending- Need 3 EPs for a Short rest, 9EPs for a long rest (reduced by 3 for each short rest taken to a minimum of 3)
Medium Encounter - 1 EP
Hard Encounter - 2 EP
Deadly Encounter - 3 EP

Tony Vargas

Legend
The OP has an interesting idea, but I'd prefer a system where there are a fixed number of rests per adventure.
Easy enough to do in a directive "railroad" style. In a player-driven ('sandbox') style, where does an 'adventure' even begin/end?

Gaming the DM? That's a new one......
Not really, goes way back. Players & DMs are people, they have relationships, shared experiences, opinions, prejudices, agendas, etc...

The more the system turns on the DM's judgement, the more leveraging any of those things to influence that judgement can benefit a player.

Last edited:

Remove ads