• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Method For Dealign With LA's?

Voadam

Legend
In my old game I had options for trading in 8 points of point buy for each LA or being limited to NPC classes (for those that want to play a tough noble or savage adept).

A couple people went for it and it worked well enough for us.

Empirate

First Post
Seeing as how WotC overrates many monster abilities, most (though not all) LA is much too high. So I'd probably never, ever, in a hundred years concede a massive 8 (!) points of point buy or let myself be limited to NPC classes just for LA+1. That overrates the overrated!

kitcik

Adventurer
Seeing as how WotC overrates many monster abilities, most (though not all) LA is much too high. So I'd probably never, ever, in a hundred years concede a massive 8 (!) points of point buy or let myself be limited to NPC classes just for LA+1. That overrates the overrated!

ThriKreen (LA +1 without psionics) has:
+2 Str
+4 Dex
-2 Int
+2 Wis
-4 Ch

That's much better than 8 buy points for certain classes, without considering any other racial abilities, just as an example. And they get a lot of other stuff too (4 arms, +30 Jump, Darkvision, etc.).

Empirate

First Post
Thri-Kreen also have two racial HD. I'd not opt to play even a non-psionic one, thanks.
If you'd drop the racial HD, though, I'd be game.

kitcik

Adventurer
Thri-Kreen also have two racial HD. I'd not opt to play even a non-psionic one, thanks.
If you'd drop the racial HD, though, I'd be game.

Aasimar +2 Wis, +2 Cha, no racial HD. That's 12 buypoints in the right build.

And they are outsiders, darvision 60', acid/cold/elec res 5, daylight 1/day, +2 listen and spot to make up for the loss of human feat / skills.

I am sure the list goes on - that just happened to be the first one alphabetically.

The point isn't whether you like ThriKreen, it's that LA +1 can be worth 8 points of buy.

Empirate

First Post
Hmmm. You got me thinking, kitcik. Maybe there're not so few instances in which those buy points are well worth it. Aasimar Cleric without losing levels... not too bad.

(I'd still not play an NPC class just to get my hands on a level adjusted race, though).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads