• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A mid-level Fighter Feat

Ferrum

First Post
Getting some ideas from the PHBII feats, I put together a feat I'd like to use for a fighter/barbarian in a campaign I'll be picking up again soon. I like the idea of Tactical feats, it seems there are alot of combat manuevers that should be available but aren't, and each alone would be a waste of a feat. Group 3 together, and then you might have something worth taking.

Anyhow, submitted for your inspection:
COMBAT FLEXIBILITY (Tactical)
Your masterful use of a selected weapon suits varying combat situations.
Prerequisites: Weapon Specialization (with chosen weapon), Power Attack, Fighter level 8
Benefit: Combat Flexibility enables the use of three combat maneuvers.

Selective Power Attack: When player states his Power Attack for the round with his chosen weapon, he may also decide how many iterative attacks with that weapon to which it will apply. All Power attacks must be consecutive, beginning with the first attack for that round.

Focused Attack: Player may trade his last iterative attack with his chosen weapon to give his other attacks with that weapon a +2 circumstance bonus for this round. If he gives up more than one iterative attack the bonus is increased by +2 for each attack given up this way. The bonus does not apply to Attacks of Opportunity made this round.

Parrying Defense: When taking the Total Defense action with his chosen weapon in hand, a player gains a circumstance bonus to his AC. This bonus is +3 if his chosen weapon is light, +2 if one handed, and +1 if two handed.
I tried to word things exceptionally carefully so as not to allow loopholes for obvious game-breaking combinations (Focused Attack and Combat Reflexes or Two Weapon Fighting for instance). Still, some of the ideas are situationally very strong, and my DM and I wanted your impressions.

Thanks!

Machiavelli

First Post
This is a powerful feat with strong prerequisites, which helps to make mid-to-high level fighters more effective in combat. It sounds good to me, because fighter-types are often shafted in higher-level play..

Land Outcast

Explorer
I know, the name includes Flexibility, but still, isn't it a bit too diversified?

Giving in on side AC bonus and on other a way to regulate power attack...

Last edited:

Ferrum

First Post
I'm actually not big on the AC part either, but I wanted to find a way to make this as interesting for a light weapon weilding PC as a 2-handed wielder. If anyone has a suggestion as to what to put in place of the Parrying Defense, I'm all ears.

Remove ads