• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A mini-rant re: Pathfinder and D&D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Ladies and gents,

Let me put it this way - once a moderator has given a warning, and asked you to move on, actively accusing others of dishonesty is a good way to get yourself uninvited to the conversation.

I should hope nobody else follows in those footsteps. If you've got questions, please take it to e-mail or PM. Thanks.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
This seems like a good point to say - 'nice idea, ain't gonna happen, let's move on.'

So....

Nice idea, ain't gonna happen, let's move on.

The Auld Grump

I hear you [MENTION=6683467]molepunch[/MENTION] and, in the end, agree with your "we're all one big happy family" thing.
See, now I want you to tell me why you think we're all one big happy family.

OK, that was tongue in cheek. But it's also a valid question. I don't feel like all roleplaying gamers are part of "one big happy family" and that doesn't particularly bother me. I'm curious why some people seem so anxious to build artificial bridges with people that you'll never play with and who's games you may not even enjoy or want to be a part of.

Mercurius

Legend
See, now I want you to tell me why you think we're all one big happy family.

OK, that was tongue in cheek. But it's also a valid question. I don't feel like all roleplaying gamers are part of "one big happy family" and that doesn't particularly bother me. I'm curious why some people seem so anxious to build artificial bridges with people that you'll never play with and who's games you may not even enjoy or want to be a part of.

Fair enough. That's a much larger question that I don't want to get too deeply into, unless we want to go down a philosophical rabbit-hole...but maybe we do?

I'll try to answer as succinctly as possible without watering it down too much. First of all, I realize and recognize the wide variety of games and differences of gamers. I, for one, am not a "true roleplayer" in that I won't just play anything; I have no interest in "furry" games or Buffy the Vampire Slayer or gore-fests or any number of the wide and assorted (and often sordid) RPGs out there. But all groups of people are united in some kind of shared context, and that recognizing this context gives a kind of feeling of unity and oneness, that we are together in our love of RPGs (or whatever it is that we share). And that through that unity, whatever differences that exist--major or minor--are contextualized and, if not embraced, at least tolerated.

By way of example, I'm a baseball fan, my favorite team being the LA Angels. I participate in a couple discussion boards in which when conversation gets political or religious, I find myself having some pretty major disagreements with some folks. A larger percentage of baseball fans hold a worldview that is very different from my own even, in some instances, somewhat abhorrent to me or, at least, rather alien. But regardless of where I and another Angels fan may differ on political issues or religious worldview, we share our love of the same baseball team and can be "one" through that.

So that is my point on our being "one big happy family" of gamers (although that being said with a subtle note of irony, given that all families are dysfunctional and unhappy in one way or another). You and I may live very different lifestyles, have different ideological perspectives, but we are "one" in the very fact that we are here, on ENWorld, participating in the same thread, and in that we both love--even if in very different ways--roleplaying games.

And that's pretty cool, imo.

Aldarc

Legend
My opinion is mine. You will not change it. And to get so worked up over not being able to change it seems, well, odd. That's a lot of energy being spent on something that has no impact on your own views - much less your ability to enjoy the games you prefer to play.

As is borne out within this thread, no one's opinion will change, and while many have the same, or similiar, opinions, others do not. There is an impass that will not be resolved.

So, if one defines D & D by its licenses and trademarks, it means one thing (especially under a legal viewpoint). But, if one defines it as an experiance, concept, or an ideal, then it is a whole different animal. And it is here where there is no ground gained between ideals.

[sigh] I shall go about my business on other threads. Cheers.
Okay...:confused: I never suggested that you were not entitled to your opinion. I have never tried to change your opinion on your feelings toward the edition. I've repeatedly stated that I'm not against saying that "Edition X does not feel like D&D," but I am against saying unequivocally that "Edition X is not D&D" due to being insulting and alienating to players of that edition who do enjoy it. It's not your opinion I wish to change, but the language you use to discuss it. I'm not entirely sure what you get out of that or why you are opposed to rephrasing your statement to be more inclusive to all gamers.

Last edited:

enrious

Pathfinder is NOT D&D, because it is NOT published by Wizards Of The Coast.

It IS a D20 game.

Are you suggesting that OD&D, AD&D 1e, and AD&D 2e aren't D&D as well?

What about this product?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Pocket-Players-Handbook/dp/1904577660]Amazon.com: The Mongoose Pocket Players Handbook (9781904577669): August Hahn: Books[/ame]

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
What is the sound of one gamer griping?
"I nominate My hate of d02 know no limit"

It fails in just about every aspect of a game,and it is more of a rule playign game than role playing game.

Frist off it is way to liniar.You just get better in everyway.THere is no way in avoiding it.I mena no mater what you are, you have have hit points and levels.

It is over comlicated,and simplist at the same time. IT is harder to hit a mmman in plate armor.And hammers and swords tear chaim mail the same way. Then you have the detail of when you can atack,and what range weapons have,and how far you can move.

Classes, are jokes. really.From how hits points.skill points,and bonus powers are moved about. In the end in boils down to this.

levle systems do not work.They may work on paper, but a level 12 fighter or even mag doesn't need to fear having a sword swung at them, or even getting stabed. Also with the way hit points work, your either fighting as if nothing happened or are out cold.Nothing in the middle.

the flaw of rolling a d20 is also that the best fighter in the word, taking up his most magical sword, misses 5% of the time.ALso so all fighters are just as good with all weapons they use.We all know that training with hand to hand weapons will make you great with a bow.Also if your good with guns, you must know how to use a sword.

In the end, d20 is too many rules, and not enough rules at the same time.Has too many strick rules, while leaving many feild wide open with no reason. I am ranting here,and know this dosen't make much sense to many people.BUt in the end I would like to see one come with a good reason d20 is a good system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads