A moral dilemma amidst ice and snow--what would you have done?

green slime

First Post
helium3 said:
Had you given the characters any reason to believe any of the above mentioned points, or were you simply expecting your players to assume that there'd be a way to defeat the wolves since everyone knows the DM's not supposed to put PC's into no-win situations? If you were, then you should give your players extra XP for not meta-gaming.

There is ALWAYS another solution.

Raven Crowking

First Post
FreeTheSlaves said:
We play with the raise dead level loss & new characters come in an extra level lower; taking on too much, failing & dying will lead to the player having the 'sidekick' character who is less capable than their 'peers'.

Basically I encourage caution and punish failure & this where my pov comes from; which is why we have different views I am sure.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with a bit of caution. I've run lots of games where death meant that your next character was 1st level, regardless of the rest of the party's level. After all, what kind of sacrifice can exist where nothing can be lost?

Even so, I would still test the waters before declaring them too deep.

RC

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Raven Crowking said:
I've run lots of games where death meant that your next character was 1st level, regardless of the rest of the party's level.
Wow that's hardcore, I oddly feel I'd like a game like that. :]

Raven Crowking said:
Even so, I would still test the waters before declaring them too deep.
I'm of an opinion that they sort of have; they have some background information to guide them & even if it is inaccurate that can't 2nd guess everything, they need to take things at face value by default. At a metagame level the players may also be thinking that they would be moving away from the adventure by investigating, which in fact they are given the time limit they have been put under.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Right now, I am running a game in which your next character is 1/2 your current character's level, rounded up. Again, this is regardless of anyone else's character level.

Of course, in almost every game I've ever played in or run, taking things at face value was the surest way to die. :uhoh: So, that right there might account for differing opinions.

Remove ads