• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Naming Convention

the-golem

Explorer
Hmmm.
D. R.

Deear ..Diarr? Maybe not...

D.C.R.

Deeceearr ... Deciar.

Blah. Sucks for me. You could do it in true Gygaxian fashion and spell your name backwards or find an anagram. I've done this for a continent in my homebrew.

My name is Darrin, and thus I have the Continent of Narridia. (Or Kingdom of.. Empire of..?)

Calvin == Vinlac == Niclava?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Emay (MA) doesn't sound too bad, but it comes across as more feminine than I'd prefer.

And using my middle name would be Emjay (MJ)...so Nope!;)

But it's not a bad idea for coming up with a name. Especially if you're stumped and just need something quick and easy.

:)

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
Jaydee's not so bad sounding.

However, in further thinking about this you can do this with any two or three letters that just sounds good together.

Richards

Legend
A variation of this is to take your three initials, and then plug in as much of each name to "bridge the gap" to make a decent sounding name.

My initials are JMR, but "Jmr" is unpronounceable. So I slap in the second letter of my first name ("o"), and the second letter of my middle name ("a"), and get "Jomar" - that could work.

If one of your initials is a vowel, you might not need anything else to bridge the gap. I have a sister whose initials were "JAR," but since she wouldn't want that for her character's name, she could try adding some letters from her middle name. Unfortunately, her middle name is "Ann," so "Janr" or "Jannr" isn't much of an improvement. So, going with more from the first name ("Julie"), and we can get "Juar" or even "Jular." Add on some from her last name, and we can get "Julari" or "Jularich."

It's not a perfect system, but it can be useful.

Johnathan

A flannel shirt

First Post
Here is a unique naming convention that I use to name my characters.

To do it, all you have to do is to take the initials of your name, and spell it phonetically.

Here's an example. Let's say your name is Steven Rogers.

The initials are S. R.

So phonetically they can be pronounce es ar.

Put those two together and you get Esar.

I don't know if anybody else has used this convention, but once in a while I do.

It's kind of a tricky way to get around the "don't name your characters after yourself" suggestion.

Are you gaming with Captain America?

My name doesn't work too well.

PK

Pe Kay

Pekay.

Sounds like a urinary infection.

Remove ads