• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Naming Convention

Argyle King

Legend
A variation of this is to take your three initials, and then plug in as much of each name to "bridge the gap" to make a decent sounding name.

My initials are JMR, but "Jmr" is unpronounceable. So I slap in the second letter of my first name ("o"), and the second letter of my middle name ("a"), and get "Jomar" - that could work.

If one of your initials is a vowel, you might not need anything else to bridge the gap. I have a sister whose initials were "JAR," but since she wouldn't want that for her character's name, she could try adding some letters from her middle name. Unfortunately, her middle name is "Ann," so "Janr" or "Jannr" isn't much of an improvement. So, going with more from the first name ("Julie"), and we can get "Juar" or even "Jular." Add on some from her last name, and we can get "Julari" or "Jularich."

It's not a perfect system, but it can be useful.

Johnathan

My initials are JD; bridging the gap gives me "Jod." Jodi if I use the first letter of my last name as well.

JSD if I use my middle name...

Josd...

Josdi (maybe)

Joscdi... Joscodi... I think I like Joscodi as a surname or possibly a name for a liquor.

the-golem

Explorer
A variation of this is to take your three initials, and then plug in as much of each name to "bridge the gap" to make a decent sounding name.

My initials are JMR, but "Jmr" is unpronounceable. So I slap in the second letter of my first name ("o"), and the second letter of my middle name ("a"), and get "Jomar" - that could work.

If one of your initials is a vowel, you might not need anything else to bridge the gap. I have a sister whose initials were "JAR," but since she wouldn't want that for her character's name, she could try adding some letters from her middle name. Unfortunately, her middle name is "Ann," so "Janr" or "Jannr" isn't much of an improvement. So, going with more from the first name ("Julie"), and we can get "Juar" or even "Jular." Add on some from her last name, and we can get "Julari" or "Jularich."

It's not a perfect system, but it can be useful.

Johnathan

The original idea was to use the "sound" of your initials, not just the initials themselves.

J = Jay; M = Em; R = Arr
Jayemar -> Jaemar. (Pronounced Jay-mar)

Or you could just be "Jammer" Hehehe.
That said, you're method is also a splendid idea. :)

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I wouldn't want to do this.

First, I'd be AHW; and that's bad enough in real life, thanks.
Second, I'm not that fond of conventional names. I have dreamed up and typed up pages of unconventional names, many more than I have use for; some of the simpler ones include: Nordant Broyne; Charles Larchmont Gojingle (politician, so Boo!); Bourbon Sneed; Malto Canoe (river Halfling); and Guido Bartleby. More complicated ones get stupid, such as Simoleaticu Mohi'elaahel (keeper of Molehills of Simoleons, of course); or the dreadful Kylia Gikkes Threable von Geysenstein. (And let's leave Hezekiah ("Heke the Weevil") out of this.)

With an imagination like that, whuffo I needs yer blimey naming convention?

ourchair

First Post
I think i'd stretch this convention further by allowing oneself to take liberties with pronounciation and spelling.

Because seriously? The number of people named "Jay-something" would bother me.

I'm M.A., so I guess I'd go with Eimaw as in "Ei-Muhw" because "Emma" won't work.

nai_cha

First Post
If someone w/ the initials PDD used this naming convention, I'd be way too tempted to ask his character how he feels like when he wakes up in the morning.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads