• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A new fighter at-will for marking multiple targets

redrover

First Post
Found this a bit late, but thought I would add 2 cents.

I like the concept fine, and it does fill a niche.

That said, I also agree with Perko: 1[W] seems too much for an at-will power with the given effect, though at this time it seems about right to me for an Encounter power.

It gives a great advantage in the follow-up round to a fighter with multiple attacks, so it seems fair to have the damage disadvantage front-loaded.

In fact, since all the other at-will Level 1 fighter exploits deal 1[W] damage, I don’t see how this power in its original form “exchanges damage” for its benefit at all.

I am not completely convinced Perko’s suggestions balance the power (I’d like to see a fully buffed 25th level fighter based on the power to make that call), but I think Perko’s comment is a step in the right direction, and I’d start there for further testing.

I prefer the "a" option -- Str mod only for the initial damage.

Pickles JG

First Post
In fact, since all the other at-will Level 1 fighter exploits deal 1[W] damage, I don’t see how this power in its original form “exchanges damage” for its benefit at all.

It is [1w] not [1w] + STR.

I think it is OK - I ask who do the extra marked targets have to be adjacent to, you or the target?

I do not really like the WIS thing but its pretty trivial - my putative LFR Dwarf fighter will have wis 16 which would usually mark everyone.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I'd actually stray on the side of this being too powerful.

Multiple marking is really, really, really good for fighters.

Sure, you can only get one immediate interrupt per turn, but the fact is, it's the POTENTIAL of the attack and not the attack itself that is the power behind a fighter's marking.

Stalker0

Legend
I will clarify the power to say targets adjacent to the fighter.

Keep in mind...what am I giving up by using this ability?

I'm giving up the ability to knock targets around with tide of iron...and do more damage.

I give up the guaranteed damage of reaping strike...and more damage if I hit.

And especially important, I give up the extra damage of cleave to another target, and the minion killing power that provides.

This is a good at-will no doubt, but I don't think its stronger than these other at wills. All of them do more damage than this one...and cleave and reaping strike can do a great deal more damage.

Consider this: Because I only get one immediate action a round, at most this will give me is a greater likelihood of getting in that immediate action should one of my marked targets attack a friend or shift away...and it gives them -2's to hit my friends. But its not like I'm suddenly wracking in a lot of damage, I would do more far more consistently with the other at-wills.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Far too powerful for a Heroic at-will. However, if someone was as so bold to create "replacement" at-wills for Paragon and Epic levels, that would be awesome!

JasonZZ

Explorer
Supporter
I would mark additional targets adjacent to the primary target rather than the PC (seeing as how they're all at the pointy end of your weapon and all), but otherwise, I think this is a keeper.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Far too powerful for a Heroic at-will.

Hmm... I'm not seeing that. If anything, the Fighter is dealing less damage for the potential to make more opportunity and basic attacks, and he's bringing more heat upon himself in the process.

Since we are now coming up on our 3rd Defender class, I think what will differentiate the Fighter from the other two is its ability to defend against multiple foes. The Fighter is already good at this; this proposed at will simply cements that skill squarely in the class's court. I think something like this has a place in the Fighter's repetoire.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
The thing that makes me think this is too powerful is that I'm playing a fighter at the moment, and I would use this as my primary attack power. In fact, I think it's a no-brainer to use as the primary attack power. The rest of the at-wills are circumstantial, whereas a fighter is almost always going to have more than one target to mark.

This essentially assures that the fighter can stick two opponents to him, constantly.

Any time I find something that to me is a no-brainer to use, I immediately feel it's imbalanced.

Not only that, but for humans, I'd swap out Reaping Strike for my fighter for this in an instant. Reaping Strike and Sure Strike are meant for 2H fighters, Tide of Iron and Cleave for sword & board. There's a certain balance to that. My sword & board fighter isn't really any better off with Reaping Strike or Sure Strike as his third at-will, but is significantly better off with Sweeping Assault.

Limiting it to 1 adjacent opponent instead of having it scale with wisdom makes it a little better, but even then I'd totally have this over either Cleave or Tide of Iron if I had to choose.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The thing that makes me think this is too powerful is that I'm playing a fighter at the moment, and I would use this as my primary attack power. In fact, I think it's a no-brainer to use as the primary attack power. The rest of the at-wills are circumstantial, whereas a fighter is almost always going to have more than one target to mark.
Solo fights, Elite Brute + artillery fights, Skirmisher fights -- there are lots of fights where the Fighter won't face more than one front-liner.

Also, if you're sticking two of them to yourself, you're taking double damage -- while handing out significantly less pain to each one. Thus, you're putting yourself in a more precarious position.

Not only that, but for humans, I'd swap out Reaping Strike for my fighter for this in an instant. Reaping Strike and Sure Strike are meant for 2H fighters, Tide of Iron and Cleave for sword & board.
Sure Strike is meant for nobody. Cleave works just fine for 2H dudes.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads