D&D (2024) A new idea for Topple

Stalker0

Legend
I think Topple is a bit much at the moment, not for its effect per say (although proning targets all the time can get very powerful) but also just the idea of save after save after save.

So here is a simplier version of Topple that will hopefully still be solidly powerful but much less work in game.

Topple
Gain +2 damage when attacking a prone target. When you crit with this weapon, the target is automatically knocked prone.

NOTE: To clarify some possible confusion, this version of topple does not prone on most attacks, only on crits.

Last edited:

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
How about Break-> Topple -> Daze -> Burst or Break -> Topple -> Launch -> Smash? ala Xenoblade?

I Like the idea of having to break their stance before you can topple them.

Sir Brennen

Legend
It's not "hopefully still" powerful, it's much more powerful. Existing weapon property just requires a Save or be knocked prone. You've made it automatic AND given it a damage bonus. This goes from good option to must have.

Horwath

Legend
yes, let's remove only really impactful Mastery.

but crit with Topple could be a save with disadvantage, then again, it could be with all battlemaster maneuvers.

yes, let's remove only really impactful Mastery.

but crit with Topple could be a save with disadvantage, then again, it could be with all battlemaster maneuvers.
Having people on the ground all the time is annoying.

I could also see a limit to once per round with most masteries like stunning strike and so on is. Or that you are immune until the next round, once you successfully saved. (Could aso be uses for stunning strike).

mellored

Legend
How about Break-> Topple -> Daze -> Burst or Break -> Topple -> Launch -> Smash? ala Xenoblade?

Hmm...

Topple
If you hit an creature, you knock them off balance until the end of your next turn. This does nothing by itself.
If you hit a creature who is off balance (by you or someone else) they fall prone.

Not sure if tracking a new status is better or worse than a save...

Chaosmancer

Legend
Looks at Elemental Strikes, Open Hand Technique, Sea Beast Binding Strike, Cunning Strike, Improved Cunning Strike, Devious strikes, Versatile Trickster, Panache, Dashing Strikes

Lot of things we need to be saying are problematic if every turn you can attack and force a save is a problem. And that's just from this playtest document.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Doing all the Masteries on a crit (no save) is my preference. It limits them by chance, puts the focus on the Fighter skill rather than Weapon, eliminates the save roll and puts a premium on increasing Crit chance as a design tool.

I like the idea of chaining tier 1 and tier 2 Masteries to get increasingly powerful effects overtime. How to do it…?

Remove ads