• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A NEW interview with Mike Mearls

Olfan

First Post
I'm the reverse. I love a bit of idiosyncrasy. I'd have been delighted if they'd used that.

I remember in the playtest when Mage was the name of the class, with them becoming Wizards when they chose a school. I liked that, reminded me of the old school titles for each level.

Mercurius

Legend
yea 2 a year, 2015, 2016,2017,2018 so they have 8 in mind already... we know elder elemental evil... so 7 to guess at

I would hope a gothic horror in ravenloft (maybe something on orient express if not the castle itself)
I think a Darksun run between 2 or 3 Dragon king cities
Maybe a dragonlance thing
I would LOVE Spell Jammer and birthright...

OH I totally hope Birthright right after they get the battle system up and running for hot kingdom on kingdom action

One thought that comes to mind is that each story arc is set in a different classic setting, so:

Forgotten Realms: Tyranny of Dragons
Greyhawk: Elemental Evil/Sons of Apocalypse
Eberron? Dark Sun? Planescape? Spelljammer? Dragonlance? Mystara? Birthright? Kara-Tur? Etc.

Now what I'd hope to see along with these story arcs is a complementary Campaign Guide, for "If you want more adventures in the setting of X story arc..." Now of course that would make more sense if they did two story arcs per setting, to really focus in on it. It would make for a nice big GenCon release.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure that the next story arch is set in the Forgoten realms...

I would love it if they release a story arch for dragonlance for example, but I doubt that we will see any new setting material this year, Especialy considering the fact that the limelight has been on the Realms for the last couple of years.

Warder

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Well, whenever someone asks about non-FR settings, Mike keeps saying things like "we don't have plans for that right now." According to this interview, they have planned out the rough release schedule for the next 4 years. So, I guess they're not doing other settings for at least 4 years?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Oo yay! Arbitrary speculation! My favorite kind!

Lessee...since they've been consistently clear that FR is going to be their go to setting...I'm thinking something like this...

Forgotten Realms: Tyranny of Dragons
Greyhawk: Elemental Evil

Forgotten Realms: Drizzt! Gesundheit.
Ravenloft: The Vampire Trolls for Thee...(the "and here's how inter-/para-/demi-dimensional stuff can be used" adventure path)

Eberron: Ridden Out on a Lightning Rail (the "you've been screaming for 'em for 2 years, now lookit this: a whole world with Magic Items EVERYwhere!!! Aren't we great? Don't you love us?" adventure path)
Dragonlance: Lance? We don' need no stickin' Lance.

Forgotten Realms: Realmsy Realmsington (the Forgotten Realms are baaaack adventure path)
Greyhawk: Descent to the Depths of Tsojcanth a.k.a. "Grazzt! Gesundheit." (with great marketing fanfare and buildup for the "long awaited classic(s)", since you haven't seen GH material in the last 3 years since 5e's release)

Forgotten Realms: Happily Ever Elminster
Second adventure for whichever proves the best received/most popular: Ravenloft, Eberron or Dragonlance.

Planescape [re]introduced in there, probably 2015, as a Manual of the Planes type setting book, probably with some small adventure in it, no adventure series.
Kara-Tur [re]introduced in there, probably 2016 if there's enough call, as setting book, probably with some small adventure in it, no adventure series.
Birthright, if comes up at all, in a kingdoms/mass combat options book, probably with some small adventure in it, no adventure series.
Spelljammer...if you see it at all, elements of it could be incorporated into the PS setting book..."jamming" across the Astral Sea and such.
Mystara...I'll be very surprised to see them use Mystara as a stand alone setting for 5e when they already have FR and GH.

R

RevTurkey

I like Magic User too.

I quite like D&D 5e so far.

That said, I am not interested in these big themed multimedia 'story' arcs.

It looks to me as though they might have stopped 'bloat' in one area and moved it to another.

I used to like being able to buy shorter modules to run through where each adventure had it's own scale of how 'epic' things had to be. Some adventures were simple and low key and self contained which suited their plotlines and some were big and brassy which suited theirs too. I think the idea of long campaigns and massive extended adventure paths are overrated to be honest. I'd have prefered them to release the Core books and then follow up with some interesting shorter adventures that explore and demonstrate the way D&D can fuel imagination and diversity of design. I like to play D&D which is why I bought the new game books...and to be honest they are pretty decent but I am not looking for t-shirts, films, hamburgers, novels and branded milkshakes for the latest Temple of Elemental Evil...super epic, awesome adventure path...you know the one where you get to play the new psychic dude class...etc

Maybe I am in a minority and that's fair enough and maybe I have lots and lots of choices of stuff to play and maybe third party publishers will deliver exactly what I am after but I just thought I'd share that I don't have any interest in this approach for the official adventures. Not to worry, it's still a cool game :)

Remove ads