• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A New Kickstarter From Monte Cook Games!

Monte Cook Games has just launched another Kickstarter! This one's for the Into the Ninth World series of sourcebooks for Numenera, which includes Into the Night, Into the Deep, and Into the Outside - supplements covering outer space, under the sea, and interdimensional realms, respectively. The series was announced just last week at Gen Con.

Monte Cook Games has just launched another Kickstarter! This one's for the Into the Ninth World series of sourcebooks for Numenera, which includes Into the Night, Into the Deep, and Into the Outside - supplements covering outer space, under the sea, and interdimensional realms, respectively. The series was announced just last week at Gen Con.

7380d2cb4315f044189023f99b9f11a2_original.jpg

With previous successful Kickstarters for Numenera itself, The Strange, and No Thank You, Evil, Monte Cook Games is firmly up there in the top tier of roleplaying game Kickstarter success stories. This one seeks $20,000 (but will no doubt exceed that many times over).

Into the Night is a 160 page hardcover which "takes Numenera players and GMs beyond the grip of Earth's gravity, to locations pioneered by the previous worlds on the moon, elsewhere in the solar system, and in remote reaches of the galaxy." It's slated for release just next month - it's already done, pretty much!

Into the Deep
, in Spring 2016, delves into the oceans.

Into the Outside, Autumn 2016, is all about other dimensions and parallel universes. I'm betting this one's very Cordelly.

There's also a Numenera Artifact Deck, adding to the existing Creature and Cypher Decks.

Head on over here to check it out.

books.jpg

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I don't understand why clearly successful game companies still do Kickstarter.

I think most successful game companies are one or two bad product releases away from being unsuccessful game companies. When you do a Kickstarter, you know people want what you're making and you have enough money to make it without losing your house.

turkeygiant

First Post
The art for Numenera is just beautiful.

The art for Numenera is beautiful...except for the pieces that aren't. I would say it is 80% beautiful like you say, 10% just amateurish enough to stand out in comparison to the rest of the book, and 10% oh man why did you put that in the book...is that 90's Reboot CG?

I think a lot of middle sized publishers have a really hard time securing the solid roster of reliable artists they need to make a fully illustrated 400pg book. WotC and Fantasy Flight seem to have the resources and contacts to do that every time but they are at the very top of the industry. I will say though that the books from Monte Cook Games seem to be more and more consistent with each release since the Numenera core, I assume this is because they are building relationships and giving more work to the artists who they have gotten good results from, and moving away from the untested artists they rolled the dice on in the beginning. Comparing Numenera to The Strange they both have beautiful art, The Strange just has far fewer examples of illustrations that don't hold up to the quality in the rest of the book.

Scorpio616

First Post
I don't understand why clearly successful game companies still do Kickstarter. Is it just a matter of guaranteeing sales? Is it clearly more profitable to do so? Should Apple do a Kickstarter for the iPhone 7?

They sell directly to the consumer, bypassing the Distributors and Retailer who would each demand large chunks of the books retail price for the privilege of dealing with them. This is why many Kickstarters can either offer huge discounts off the retail price (Reaper bones add ons), and / or add in expensive extra freebies to sweeten the deal (Zombiecide). If a KS for a product destined for retail isn't cutting you, the backer, in on the deal in some way, they are being greedy.

They get the money upfront, knowing just how many units they have to make. It's like a loan, but safer for the business since the laws are far more in favor of the business and they only have to pay it back in product.

Last edited by a moderator:

They sell directly to the consumer, bypassing the Distributors and Retailer who would each demand large chunks of the books retail price for the privilege of dealing with them. This is why many Kickstarters can either offer huge discounts off the retail price (Reaper bones add ons), and / or add in expensive extra freebies to sweeten the deal (Zombiecide). If a KS for a product destined for retail isn't cutting you, the backer, in on the deal in some way, they are being greedy.

They get the money upfront, knowing just how many units they have to make. It's like a loan, but safer for the business since the laws are far more in favor of the business and they only have to pay it back in product.

That's the best answer on the subject I ever read! Thanks!

Gamgee

First Post
Awesome. I just got my Reliquary box from their previous Numenera KS a few days ago. It's in excellent condition barring one small scratch/tear. Debating on if I should give them a picture and ask for a replacement box.

I'm backing this one for sure.

I've found the stretch goals kind of tame compared to prior KS'ers but maybe they know just how high they will get and planned appropriately. At any rate the savings from this campaign compared to if I bought them here is enough to justify the cost. Now do I want the regular books? Or with the limited edition book plates?

Also of the three I'm most interested for into the depths. 3 of our group is including myself, another 3 into the other, and 1 for into the night.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Awesome. I just got my Reliquary box from their previous Numenera KS a few days ago. It's in excellent condition barring one small scratch/tear. Debating on if I should give them a picture and ask for a replacement box.

I'm backing this one for sure.

I've found the stretch goals kind of tame compared to prior KS'ers but maybe they know just how high they will get and planned appropriately. At any rate the savings from this campaign compared to if I bought them here is enough to justify the cost. Now do I want the regular books? Or with the limited edition book plates?

Also of the three I'm most interested for into the depths. 3 of our group is including myself, another 3 into the other, and 1 for into the night.

Take a picture and submit it for replacement. There's no reason to pay so much for that box and it be even slightly damaged.

Remove ads

Remove ads