• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A new, meaner Demodragon

RavinRay

Explorer
Yep, that dreaded creation of Venger that threatened to destroy the entire Realm. I know he's been statted before, but all the Googled links I found are now expired and I can't find the Tome of Horror version. So, I decided to make my own version. I'm sticking to the original idea that he's half-dragon, half-demon, and I am using as the base creatures: a 13-tentacled chole dragon (Dragon #344), a dread linnorm (Monster Manual II), and Demogorgon, or an aspect of him (Fiendish Codex I and its web enhancement). My reasons for choosing these three are as follows:
  • chole dragon: it has the tentacles, it lives in the Abyss, and is CE
  • dread linnorm: it has two heads, breathes fire and cold, is CE, and speaks Draconic and Abyssal
  • Demogorgon: the Prince of Demons has two heads, tentacles for arms, and has a dual personality
So, I am presenting an early draft of Demodragon's stats, and am inviting comments from everyone. I will edit the stats as feedback suggests.

DEMODRAGON
This gigantic dragon has a purple-scaled body sporting thirteen tentacles that flail constantly. Two heads, one red and the other blue, sit atop serpentine necks. Despite its bulk, it moves with surprising agility.
Demodragon was originally the creation of a powerful wizard named Venger on an alternate Material Plane world, tasked to breach Tardos Keep. Though Demodragon was defeated when he was exposed to a garland of dragonbane that was taken from the garden of the keep, his spirit was set loose and traversed the multiverse until it came upon another wizard (some say it was the infamous Mahlhevik). According to this account, the spirit whispered in Mahlhevik's dreams and convinced him to create a new body for it by cross-breeding a 13-tentacled chole dragon with a dread linnorm, then infusing it with essence from an aspect of Demogorgon. This new body was far more powerful than the original; Demodragon turned on Mahlhevik and forced him to flee for his life. He then launched a rampage through the Abyss before the Prince of Demons himself, tracing his lost essense to the dragon, confronted both dragon and wizard. To his shock, Demodragon not only held his own in combat but also proved immune to his gaze attacks. Demogorgon was forced to withdraw, while Demodragon found his way to the Material Plane with an army of tanar’ri and launched an attack on an elven kingdom. Mahlhevik saw the carnage wrecked by his creation and bitterly regretted his action. As a show of remorse, he approached the court of Bahamut in Celestia and begged the Platinum Dragon to help the elves. After repulsing the demons, Bahamut created the felldrakes to protect the elves from further menaces, and remanded Mahlhevik to the judgement of the Celestial Hebdomad, which allowed him to remain in Celestia and atone for his sins. Defeated, Demodragon now roams the 518th layer of the Abyss, attempting to raise his influence among the chole dragons, abyssal drakes, and tanar’ri and receiving overtures from various demon lords to help them defeat Demogorgon. Thus far, he has not formed an formal alliance with other demon lords, but he is closely watching developments in the age-long rivalries.

Demodragon CR 2n
CE Colossal Dragon (chaotic, evil, extraplanar)
Init +4; Senses Spot , Listen , darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, blindsense 60 ft.
Aura Frightful presence (360 ft. radius, DC 38)
Languages Abyssal, Common, Draconic
--------------------
AC 29, touch 2, flat-footed 25 (-8 size, +4 Dex, +27 natural)
hp 574 (28 HD); DR 20/cold iron and good
Immune paralysis, sleep
Resist acid 10, cold 10, fire 10, SR 34
Fort +30, Ref +20, Will +22
--------------------
Speed 45 ft. (9 squares), swim 70 ft.
Melee Bite +35 (4d8+15) and
2 claws each +30 (4d6+7) and
2 tentacles +30 (2d8) and
tail slap +30 (4d6+22)
Space 30 ft., Reach 20 ft. (30 ft. with bite, 40 ft. with tentacles)
Base Atk +28, Grp +59
Atk Options crush, tail sweep
Special Actions breath weapons
--------------------
Abilities Str 40, Dex 18, Con 38, Int 23, Wis 22, Cha 28
SQ Demogorgon bond, keen senses, low-light vision, tentacles (thirteen)
Feats Dark Speech, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Power Attack, Snatch, others
Skills Bluff , Concentration , Diplomacy , Hide , Intimidate , Knowledge (arcana) , Knowledge (religion) , Knowledge (the planes) , Listen , Sense Motive , Swim , Use Magic Device (ranks to be determined later)
--------------------
Breath Weapons (Su) Demodragon has two breath weapons, each of which can be shaped as a 140-ft line or 70-ft. cone. Each can be used every 1d4 rounds independently of the other.
Left head: Damage 12d6 cold, Reflex DC 38 half.
Right head: Damage 12d6 fire, Reflex DC 38 half.
Demogorgon Bond (Ex) Demodragon is immune to Demogorgon’s gaze attacks. He can also sense the presence of Demogorgon or his aspects on the same plane, or the same layer of an Outer Plane. This ability does not let him know Demogorgon’s location.
Frightful Presence (Ex) Whenever Demodragon attacks or charges, each creature in a 360-foot radius that has 27 or fewer HD must make a DC 38 Will save. Failure indicates that the creature is panicked for 4d6 rounds (if it has 4 or fewer HD) or shaken for 4d6 rounds (if it has 5 or more HD).
Spell-like Abilities (CL 10th)
3/day—protection from good/law (DC 20)
2/day—demoncallFC, resist energySC
1/day—babau slimeSC, magic circle against good/law (DC 22), summon monster III (chaotic evil creatures only)
FC described in Fiendish Codex I
SC described in Spell Compendium
Crush (Ex) Area 30 ft. by 30 ft.; Large or smaller opponents take 4d8+22 points of bludgeoning damage and must succeed at a DC 38 Reflex save or be pinned.
Tail Sweep (Ex) Demodragon can sweep with his tail as a standard action. The sweep affects Medium or smaller creatures in a half-circle with a radius of 40 feet extending from an intersection on the edge of his space in any direction. Each potentially affected creature in the area takes 4d6+22 points of damage (Reflex DC 38 half).

Strategy and Tactics
Demodragon is a vicious opponent, making full use of his breath weapons and tentacle attacks to injure foes beyond the reach of his bite and claws. When faced by several opponents, he grabs as many as he can with his tentacles and then uses babau slime to coat his tentacles with acid. His tentacles are dextrous enough to snatch weapons.

Remove ads