A New Power - Rebel Group

Ambrus

Explorer
"It's possible. We'd need a second communications array with a significant range encoded to transmit the correct IIF code. I believe there is a collection of spare components for this vessel in the aft cargo compartments. Among them may be a secondary emergency communications array that I could convert to the task. It would have to be activated relatively close to the other vessel however, and almost imediately after the troop transport's stopped transmiting."

OOC: Angcuru, how's about it?

Last edited:

Angcuru

First Post
With the Deepscan's sensors trained on the settlement, Arlee wastes no time once he beings to get readings. Visual sensors pull up very little initially, as night has fallen. Optimal gamma adjustment brings into view a cluster of small hut-like structures surrounded by a thick wooden wall. In the center of the clearing, Arlee can make out the rough outline of a YT-1300 Corellian transport. Thermal scans indicate that the engines are hot, and outside of the walls there appear to be five humanoid heat signatures clustered together. The interior of the settlement is surprisingly devoid of life.

Kemrain

First Post
"I'd better get dressed," she says, unstrapping and rising from her seat. "I don't want to be late to the party. If they buzz us, just break the optical transmitter and play them your Triss voice. They're probably dim enough to buy it long enough for us to get in." With that she heads back toward the cargo hold, stripping out of the imperial officer's uniform as she goes. In the back she puts the remainder of her shadowsuit on, mask and all, and slides her visor back onto her forhead. She checks her weapons and cracks open the container of explosives, removing six of the diminutive explosives and strapping them across her shoulders and hips with one of the load bearing harnesses included with their demolitions pack.

Ambrus

Explorer
Even as it speaks, the patina stained droid is accessing the ship's cargo manifest and locates the components necessary to jury-rig an IFF transponder. With a moment's attention Arley accesses the communications console through the computer core and records the characteristics of the assault shuttle's transponder IFF signal. As Jaess is rising out of her chair, the old repair droid turns its attention to the helm and uploads a flight program to carry the Deepscan near the clearing. Before physically disconnecting itself from the pilot's console, Arley sends a final mental command to extinguish the vessel's exterior running lights and to dim the cabin's illumination. The repair unit then rises from the pilot's chair turns and heads back into the passenger compartment after the human woman. "We should get to work then. We don't have much time."

Arriving in back, the patina stained droid ignores the changing woman and heads towards the cargo compartments, pulls two of them open and begins pulling out the needed components. With a soft whir and click it's right hip compartment pops open and extends a tool which Arley takes up into its right hand and brings to bear on the spare transmitter array. "I've detected the presence of the Dawnsprinter, or at least a YT-1300 Corellian transport with an identical transponder signal. It is in the center of the settlement with its engines active but no readings of a hyperdrive aboard but with an some type of energy cannon addition. The settlement itself consists of a few dozen small wooden huts, all seemingly abandoned, and the whole surrounded by a wooden palisade. Outside the wall are five humanoids closely huddled together."

As it talks, the patina stained droid's hands are a blur as components come together, connections are fastened and settings are calibrated. Even as it works, Arley watches the half-dressed human with its peripheral sensors but keeps its head down out of courtesy for the organic's sense of modesty; if she suffers from one. Finally, as Jaess slides on her shadowsuit, the droid looks up and continues: "We're presently running dark, though our own transponder is still active so the troop transport will be aware of our location should they care to check. They won't visually see us coming though; out of sight out of mind. I'll be dropping you off in the forest near the clearing's edge through the canopy."

Finishing the assembled transponder array, Arley slides aside a small panel hiding a touch pad and a computer port. Reaching down, the old droid pulls out its computer cable from its hip and plugs it into the port. Within seconds the unit is programmed with the troop transport's IFF code. Arley disconnects the scomplink cable and slides it back into its hip. "As soon as the assault shuttle's transponder is deactivated or destroyed, pull back this panel and tap the green key; it'll instantly begin transmitting an identical IFF signal." The droid slides the panel back and flips over the cylindrical device and points at a long flat surface on its backside. "I've fastened a magnetic panel to the device in case you need to attach it to something metallic quickly; just slap it onto bare metal and it will remain affixed." Motioning to the cylinder's bottom, the old droid releases a catch and causes three short tripod legs to spring out of the device's base. "If placing it on the ground deploy these legs and set the device upright." Arley refolds the device's legs, reaches down into the pile of materials collected at its feet, pulls out a short strap with clasps at either end, quickly snaps it to the device and helps Jaess slide it on over her shoulder.

The old repair droid pauses and focuses its single glowing photoreceptor on Jaess. An akward moment of silence passes between the pair. Arley lifts its arm and reaches out towards the woman's head. At first it appears that Arley is going to touch Jaess' face but instead reaches into her open face mask and keys her intergrated comlink, checking its frequency. "Although our communications will by encrypted, it's possible that they will be intercepted and decrypted. You should avoid identifying either of us, our purpose or compromise the Rebel Alliance's involvment in this matter."

The patina stained droid pulls its hand back and pauses again before continuing. "I will remain aloft until you determine that it is safe for me to land the Deepscan. You are entering an uncertain situation however with possibly two unfriendly factions arraigned against us. If you are captured and/or being somehow coerced you should use a code word to validate or invalidate any statements or instructions you transmit to me. A true statement or instruction should include the word 'Besh'. A false statement or instruction should include the word 'Cresh'. Should you wish to signal the need for military support or a diversion then simply say 'Dorn' and name a target."

With a gentle shake, the Deepscan slows to a stop. A soft shudder and hum starts as the repulsorlift engine beneath their feet surge to life, allowing the vessel to hover in place. Following its flight program, the vessel begins to lower towards the treeline as its wings fold up outside reducing the Deepscan's profile. The patina stained droid turns around and walks over to the companionway to the cockpit just as the access ramp under foot begins to lower downward revealing the outline of shadowy treetops below. Arley stands on the edge of the precipice. "We've arrived at your drop point. The clearing is due west of here about 150 meters away." The droid points in the appropriate direction. "May the Code be with you agent Talori."

Last edited:

Kemrain

First Post
Arley said:
"I've detected the presence of the Dawnsprinter, or at least a YT-1300 Corellian transport with an identical transponder signal. It is in the center of the settlement with its engines active but no readings of a hyperdrive aboard but with an some type of energy cannon addition. The settlement itself consists of a few dozen small wooden huts, all seemingly abandoned, and the whole surrounded by a wooden palisade. Outside the wall are five humanoids closely huddled together."
"It makes sense that the hyperdrive wouldn't be powered on. We're withing the gravity well of the planet, and it's most likley damaged. If it even exists. That blaster cannon won't be much use to them unless they get off the ground... Energy cannon? It's not an ion cannon, is it? That might be useful. It won't matter if they stay huddled up like that, though. They'll be blown to pieces if they don't get moving. Not our problem, though. If we can get or blow the hyperdrive, prisoners are just an added bonus."
Arley said:
"We're presently running dark, though our own transponder is still active so the troop transport will be aware of our location should they care to check. They won't visually see us coming though; out of sight out of mind. I'll be dropping you off in the forest near the clearing's edge through the canopy."
"Good plan. Keep low and stay out of sight, but be ready to come pick me up if I need a quick extraction. And don't forget the weapons systems if we need a distraction. Setting some trees on fire might not be subtle, but it'll draw their attention."
Arley said:
"As soon as the assault shuttle's transponder is deactivated or destroyed, pull back this panel and tap the green key; it'll instantly begin transmitting an identical IFF signal. I've fastened a magnetic panel to the device in case you need to attach it to something metallic quickly; just slap it onto bare metal and it will remain affixed. If placing it on the ground deploy these legs and set the device upright."
"I'm hoping that this thing will be nothing but dead weight. You got it together pretty fast. I hope it works, if we need it." When the LE unit reaches up to touch her, she pulls back, raising an eyebrow. She lets it reach a digit into her hood, her right hand drifting to the handle of her blaster.
Arley said:
"Although our communications will by encrypted, it's possible that they will be intercepted and decrypted. You should avoid identifying either of us, our purpose or compromise the Rebel Alliance's involvment in this matter."
"I know what I'm doing," she snaps, "I've been doing this since I was a kid." She pulls back and brushes it's hand away, giving it a dirty look.
Arley said:
"I will remain aloft until you determine that it is safe for me to land the Deepscan. You are entering an uncertain situation however with possibly two unfriendly factions arraigned against us. If you are captured and/or being somehow coerced you should use a code word to validate or invalidate any statements or instructions you transmit to me. A true statement or instruction should include the word 'Besh'. A false statement or instruction should include the word 'Cresh'. Should you wish to signal the need for military support or a diversion then simply say 'Dorn' and name a target."
"That's unecesaary. You can turn the recieving volume up, and you'll be able to hear anyone speaking to me. I doubt it'll hurt your ears. If I get caught, I'll either talk my way out of it, or make a break for it. If I get killed, feel free to detonate these explosives. 'Should give whoever got me a nasty surprise. There's another detonator in the crate, and I'm keyed to one through six. And you'd be better use to me in the air, where you could move quickly. I'd rather you didn't land if you could avoid it."
Arley said:
"We've arrived at your drop point. The clearing is due west of here about 150 meters away. May the Code be with you agent Talori."
Jaess gives the droid an odd look before lowering her visor with a quick nod of her head and lowering herself down the extended boarding ramp, dropping to the ground below and tumbling to her feet before disappearing into a shadow.

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
Jaess said:
"Energy cannon? It's not an ion cannon, is it? That might be useful.
"No, it isn't."
Jaess said:
"You got it together pretty fast. I hope it works, if we need it."
Arley stares at the woman with its expressionless face for a moment before answering."It will work."
Jaess said:
"I know what I'm doing," she snaps, "I've been doing this since I was a kid." She pulls back and brushes it's hand away, giving it a dirty look.
"I am glad of that fact. This is my first time."
Jaess said:
"That's unnecessary. You can turn the receiving volume up, and you'll be able to hear anyone speaking to me. I doubt it'll hurt your ears."
"That may be so, but simply hearing what is happening around you may not be sufficient for me to judge. I will be depending on your personal assessment to determine what is required."

The patina stained droid watches the dark clad operative drop down from the boarding ramp and disappear into the darkness below. Arley reaches out and taps the control switch on the wall causing the ramp to rise and close again before stepping back into the passenger area. A few moments of effort and the old droid returns the cargo containers and spare components to their compartments, but not before retrieving the second detonator that Jaess mentioned. With it in hand Arley turns and walks back to the pilot's console, sits down, leans back and plugs its scomplink cable into the computer port before it. Reaching out with its Code, the repair unit links its mind with the Deepscan's computer core, feeling the terrain and skies around the vessel with its sensors. Slowly the Deepscan, cloaked in shadows rises once more into the skies as its wings unfold and lock down into place. With but a thought, R-LE-1 reconfigures the shield, weapon and communications systems to bring them back under its direct control as it begins to monitor the airwaves for any communications.

Kemrain

First Post
Jaess makes her way through the foliage, a stray footprint and faint breeze the only signs of her ghostly passage. The landscape brightly illuminated for her through her visor, she proceeds silently towards the small settlement and the troop transport inbound for it. She scans all imperial channels though her hood's intgrated comlink, listening as she creeps forward to try to hear the troops in the assault shuttle, or anyone else who might be lurking nearby. Keeping behind cover, she scans the area for the lights and sounds of an Imperial Assault Shuttle, hoping to find it on or at least near the ground.

Remove ads