• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A new spellcasting propsal

dekrass

Explorer
I think a lot of the GM prep can be handled by having a good list of sample signature spells. A database searchable by spell list and MP cost would be great, too.
I think the proposed system gives up too much flexibility. It seems too restrictive. If I have an idea for a really cool spell that would cost 5MP, but it's not part of a themed list I have, I have to think up a theme and a list of spells to build up to it. With the EoM system the spell lists are much more broad and allow for far more creative freedom, at least in my opinion.

docdoom77

First Post
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around EoM. It's complexity can be a challenge.

I would present both. Make EoM the default for players and the new one the default for monsters, but allow the players/dm's to choose which they use or use both.

Ideally, you should be able to create spell lists like in the new magic system using EoM. Make those the "standard" lists for people not interested in building things from the ground up, but keep the flexibility of EoM for those who do want to do it.

Is there any way to merge the two ideas like that?

docdoom77

First Post
That's what I'm thinking. It'd be a heck of a big task, but I think it might be worth it.

I agree. The EoM has a great deal of potential and my old group would dive right in, but my current group just likes to get playing and they don't want to fiddle with things at all. It would be awesome to be able to cater to both playstyles. Assuming, you have the time to make it happen. ;)

Khaalis

Adventurer
I think it entirely possible to merge the 2 ideas. Especially since a lot of the EoM system (at least as written) is very vague. It needs more examples and more concrete mechanics in some areas. Merging Spell Lists with EoM would work well I think. The only issue is making certain the Mechanics remain the same.

For instance as it stands, the power level are NOT equal. It would need to be decided which was going to be the way to go. I personally like the 0-level spell being an At-Will ability but of lower power. FantasyCraft did the same thing.

Fire Spell List 0-level "SPARK" = "you can create a tiny spark, enough to light tinder". (1 Fire Damage, Touch OR 1sq.ft. area, Instant, At-Will)
vs.
EoM Evoke FIre 0-Level effect = Choice of (1d6 Fire, Touch OR 5sq.ft. area OR charge to weapon, Instant, Up to MAG times per day)

As an example of FC "0-Level spells"
* Create up to 2 gallons of fresh drinking water
* 1 Person can endure normal Hot/Cold environmental conditions
* +20ft to Speed when running for 1 minute
* +1 Defense
* Heal 1 Vitality (system uses Vitality/Wounds system; vitality is basically scrapes and endurance)

On a personal note, I love the idea of EoM, but like DoDoom said, now-a-days, spending 15 minutes to build spells doesn't seem to go over so well anymore. Granted its all a matter of personal taste and the way EoM SHOULD work is that you do all the hard work away from the table and you should be using your Signature and Simple spells more than building complex spells as you go. /shrug

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, take a look at this. Each spell list was created using the EoM system*. PCs can use the regular EoM system, but these are used to quickly give NPCs and monsters themed magical capability.

*There may be some errors in calculation - it's just a concept piece.

Attachments

• spell_list_proposal.pdf
    298.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

docdoom77

First Post
OK, take a look at this. Each spell list was created using the EoM system*. PCs can use the regular EoM system, but these are used to quickly give NPCs and monsters themed magical capability.

I'll give it a more detailed look when I have some time, but this is definitely along the lines I was thinking. It will make it so much easier for a casual player if there are several of these example lists.

dekrass

Explorer

That's great! You get the best of both.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads