• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A New Warlock Need C&C

AnonymousOne

First Post
Sort of.

I never liked the idea of the melee warlock and yes I know people rave about Eldritch Glaive and so on but I never really pictured it that way. I did some looking and math and I think that he can stand to go back to the original Invocation progression, I think Asurya was right there.

Given the swap of DR for improved saves vs Spells I see him more like an anti-caster sniper.

And actually the Arcane Archer carried 0 weight in this build, in fact I didn't even look at it.

EDIT: I've also been look at making it so that the Warlock can combine Eldritch essences together at certain levels.

Like this ability:
Entwined Eldritch Essence - The Warlock may modify his EB with more than one Eldritch Essence invocation. One invocation must be at least one level of invocation lower than the other. (i.e. [Greater + Lesser or Least])

Is this too much? I feel like this might give some of the essence blasts a bit more kick.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

First Post
And actually the Arcane Archer carried 0 weight in this build, in fact I didn't even look at it.
Of course it didn't. Nor should it. No arcane archer idea should EVER be based on the Arcane Archer prestige class any more than a samurai idea should be based on the Samurai base class! They're just good, descriptive words, not necessarily proper names (that's why I like to capitalize class names, because there are so dang many of them that they start commandeering perfectly good phrases, so differentiating between them and the phrases they stole is important)

Edit: Ahhh, yes, I think combining multiple essence invocations may be a decent idea. I would peg it at 2 levels of difference, though, because the shape invocations combined with a single essence invocation can already make for a pretty powerful area effect. Add a second invocation, and it could get messy. For example: A Vitriolic Utterdark Eldritch Cone would be NASTY, because it would ignore spell resistance and impose 2 negative levels on multiple enemies. I actually think the spell resistance issue is a prime balancing factor for many of the essence invocations, and allowing Vitriolic to combine could be lethal. Now, Vitriolic and Frightful (or any other Least essence invocation) Eldritch Cone would be not much better than a Vitriolic Cone alone, so I would not be afraid of it breaking anything.

Last edited:

Asurya

First Post
quote Machiavelli: Asurya, according to my copy of Complete Arcane, you can trade out a single invocation for any other of the same or lower level, every single time you choose a new invocation. That would be 11 opportunities to do so, for the original warlock.

Ok, looks like on top of screwing once, I fumble on my explanation...

in my first reply (post #3), I wrote:
quote Asurya: when you gain Dark, you could prefer to exchange a Least for a Lesser/Greater as the Least in question became irrelevant with your Dark newly gained

therefore saying that you can trade a invoc you know for an stronger one... and in fact you cannot do that (only ToB allows you to trage a maneuver known for a better one), but you are correct when you say that you can use a strong "slot" to learn a lower grade invoc, I didn't wanted to say otherwise.

neceros

Adventurer
AnonymousOne said:
Like this ability:
Entwined Eldritch Essence - The Warlock may modify his EB with more than one Eldritch Essence invocation. One invocation must be at least one level of invocation lower than the other. (i.e. [Greater + Lesser or Least])

Is this too much? I feel like this might give some of the essence blasts a bit more kick.
That's an Epic feat, by the way.

Remove ads