A Night Below, 2E Mega Adventure

I thought that was a real good mega-adventure in terms of production values. I'd definately be interested in picking up something like that again.

I thought the first book was great, but sections of the 2nd and 3rd disentigrated into to much mindless hack and slash for us. We actually didn't make it through the whole thing.

I really should've spiced things up for the players, but it seemed a bit hard. They were in the Underdark afterall. THings got a bit monotonous.

Turlogh

Explorer
I'd be really interested in a conversion of this mega module. Have the boxed set and it looks really good, but haven't gotten around to converting yet myself.

Psion

Adventurer
I ran it in 2e. The first book was an interesting exploration and investigation scenario.

The second book was a tedious hack and slash.

What I ended up doing was ditching/re-routing the game, and salvaged the third book and the kuo-toa city for use in the place of the dungeon crawl in the Rod of Seven Parts, which worked rather well.

Tom Cashel

First Post
I had a great DM...added all kinds of party intrigue and role-playing goodness to break up the hack-and-slash a bit. I think some agents of the aboleth were traveling with us, and there were rival adventuring parties out there too.

But then again, I was playing a dwarven cleric of Clanggeddin, so I was all about hack, slash, smash and bash.

Minor nitpick: the module was just called "Night Below."

Tom Cashel

First Post
Re: Achorrath?

jaults said:
Wasn't he a character in the "Wormy" comic in Dragon magazine? In, like, the late 80s, I think...

Jason

With one sickly green eye. Correct! Jason, you have my undying respect.

Sure wish WotC would reprint the whole run of Wormy. I loved that comic.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Re: Re: Achorrath?

Tom Cashel said:

With one sickly green eye. Correct! Jason, you have my undying respect.

Sure wish WotC would reprint the whole run of Wormy. I loved that comic.

I agree... I've took the huge black cat that was freed by the mage and made him into a minor demigod in my game world...

I ran this entire thing. Whoo, and it was my first foray into D&D too. *sheepish grin*

Anyway, it's true that the first book is the best put-together, but it's also the most linear. After the first book, you have a lot of stuff you _can_ do, but also a lot of room for the DM to make up more stuff. In 3e, leveling up is not inherently tied to killing stuff, so you can ignore a lot of the monsters in book two if you want to (though some of those fights were pretty interesting). Still, I think the whole 'attacking a city' part was kinda silly. The PCs managed to recruit an army to help, but if your PCs don't do that, please give them ways to just decapitate the city easily without having to kill thousands of pedestrians.

I have Night Below--it looks like a great adventure though I've never had the opportunity to use it. I'd definately be interested in a conversion. If anyone wants a conversion to Storyteller system of the first book done by a 12 year old munchkin let me know....(ah the follies of my youth... LOL)

Tom Cashel

First Post
RangerWickett said:

Still, I think the whole 'attacking a city' part was kinda silly. The PCs managed to recruit an army to help, but if your PCs don't do that, please give them ways to just decapitate the city easily without having to kill thousands of pedestrians.

Wasn't most of the city aboleth and kuo-toans? Their lives were forfeit when Achorrath arrived!

And I thought it was cool. At first, when we realized there was an entire city to defeat, we paled in horror. Then we got creative. We found a hideout nearby, using stone shape spells to get in and out. My cleric used the 2E version of Rock to Mud to turn columns of rock into mud, in the ceiling of the city cavern...so basically enormous columns of mud started plunging into the midst of their city...then we adopted hit-and-run tactics, moving in for a fight and running off...repeat. Plus we fouled their spawning pools. In the end, we were forced to come up with a kick-butt plan to sneak into the center of the city and kill that massive baddie.

If our DM had made it "easy," it would have been kinda lame and certainly not memorable.

Remove ads