• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A non evil lich?

Belgarath

First Post
I was thinking of playing a sorcerer in an ongoing game with very powerful characters. An idea that I had was a true neutral lich. I am not worried about the power level since there are all kinds of things the DM can do to rectify that. What I am concerned about though is can a lich be non evil. The MM states that the process of becoming a lich is evil, but not that you are required to stay evil or even that you will turn evil if you become a lich. What do you guys think?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Monsters of Faerun contains a section on good liches. It describes several extra abilities that good liches can have, such as the ability to turn undead, the ability to animate dead, and immunity to Turning from Good or Neutral clerics. I'll post more information if you're interested.

They then give several examples of good liches, such as Baelnorns, who are elven liches who use lichdom to continue to aid their families. They stand guard over important areas, and are used as sources of wise counsel.

Another example is an Archlich, who are human wizards or clerics who use their abilities as a lich to continue whatever noble purpose they had in life.

The transformation into a lich is used by some good and neutral clerics, wizards, and sorceror as an extreme way of attaining immortality, in order to achieve a goal that they weren't able to during their normal lifetime.

DMaple

First Post
Hollowfaust in Scarred Lands has a non-evil lich necromancer as well. I can't recall if he is good or not. But he isn't evil.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Re: non evil lich

Belgarath said:
The archlich sounds about like what I need. Could I get some more info please?

The text for the Archlich says:
"Archliches are transformed human spellcasters--as often clerics or bards as wizard--who have deliberately and carefully accomplished their own transformation into liches. They devote their undeath to the furtherance of whatever noble purpose motivated the transformation.

Archliches appear as normal liches. They have all the characteristics of normal liches, including the spell ability and the other class abilities they possessed in life. In addition, they can turn undead as good clerics (entitled to a number of turning attempts per day equal to 3 + their Charisma modifier). They also have the ability to animate dead (as described above) and can water walk as well. They have the turning immunity defense listed in the main entry for the good lich."

The section on Animate Dead (a spell-like ability) says:
"Good liches can animate skeletons or zombies to serve them, using this spell-like ability at will as a sorceror of its character level. In general, good liches have no interest in raising undead armies to serve them, but they use this power in self-defense in the heat of battle."

Under Turn Undead (a supernatural ability):
"Three or more times per day, a good lich can turn undead as a good cleric, making a turning (Charisma) check to determine how many HD of undead are affected."

Turning Immunity (an extraordinary ability):
"Many good liches cannot be turned or destroyed by good or neutral clerics. When evil clerics attempt to rebuke or command them, they are turned or destroyed instead."

Finally, Water Walk (a supernatural ability):
"Some good liches have the ability to water walk, as the spell of the same name, at will."

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Dmaple:

Bayori, is probably a GREAT exception to the rule. (remember they don't care much for free willed undead SINCE they view that as voliation of the body since the soul and the body are STILL connected.) Bayori is LG AND I imagine had the true ritual "LICH" cast on him, thus he's LG (at least that's MY explanation. I wish Ethan was here, he's VERY good at explaining his city.) Still the fact that MOST of the necromancers there range from N-NG-LN does make Hollowfaust a unique exception to the idea of evil necromancers and the whole "necromancy bad" idea.

Remove ads