A player wants his pet baby phoenix to grow into a dragon . . .

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
So yeah, he loves dragons. And now he keeps hinting that it would be really cool if his baby phoenix grew up into a dragon . . . what should I do?

The phoenix dies in a fiery explosion, becoming ashes, and rising again as a unique fire dragon.

Of course, the player character just happens to be there when the phoenix initially dies, and takes 999 points of damage. Save for half. ;) :D

In all seriousness, make it about rebirth. Let him have the dragon, but give it some phoenix-like qualities (i.e. fiery wings). Maybe the phoenix gets sick, and the players have to quest to find a reclusive cleric of Bahamut who might be able to cure him. The only way is through transformation and rebirth.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Maybe do something ala Goerge R. R. Martin (I don't remember which book of A Song of Ice and Fire series) and make them both have to walk through fire to be reborn as dragon and dragonborn.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Some thoughts...

As a DM, I generally think my continuity and setting are pretty much worthless if the players are not interested in them. Even if I thought the "all dragons, all the time" approach is a bit cliché or overdone, if that's what gives the player his fun, then it ought to be at least considered.

So, can you "retcon" the whole thing? Rewrite the backstory so that it always was a dragon, and it is a dragon that'll be relevant gong forward?

If not, I can see a simple approach - talk to the player. "Joe, the fact that it is specifically a phoenix is relevant to some really cool stuff I have in mind for the future. I can make it a dragon, if you want, but it will cease to be relevant to the future of the game. It'll be a pet, and nothing more. If you're cool with that, then fine."

Or, simply noting that dragons grow really slowly, such that for the purposes of your campaign it'll always be a hatchling, and therefore apt to die off if it gets into fights with the group as they advance may be enough to convince him to not change. Having a cool themed pet isn't useful if the thing's gonna die...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The rebirth idea is probably the best. Rebirth + magic amulet = DRAGONZZZ!

And keep this in mind for the future. You could dangle anything with dragons in front of this guy and get his interest. Even if it's a dragon poopin' in the woods, he'll probably be OH BOY!!!! ;)

GlaziusF

First Post
Early in the the campaign, one of the players got a pet baby phoenix. I thought that would be pretty cool, and it's rooted in the overarching plot of the campaign story along with some other 'gifts' the players have gotten since then.

But this guy loves dragons. When we converted to 4E, he wanted to change his elf character into a dragonborn. I [very] reluctantly let him, allowing him to use dragonborn stats, but still look like an elf and not use dragon breath until a few sessions later when some harpies fortuitously dropped a dragon claw pendant that allows him to assume his 'dragon form'. (Fortunately, I've also found a way to fuse this with the storyline, though he doesn't know it yet.)

So yeah, he loves dragons. And now he keeps hinting that it would be really cool if his baby phoenix grew up into a dragon . . . what should I do?

He obviously really wants it, and so part of me wants to make it happen. At the same time, I don't want to keep making serious comprimises to my setting and continuity just to give him stuff that he thinks is cool.

What do you think?

~

...the pendant also affects his phoenix? Does that fit your story? Perhaps when he breathes fire he is actually nudging his new shoulder-dragon and it is doing it for him.

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
Vicerally I don't like retcons, but heck you changed editions with this campaign and with that change has come sweeping changes to everything from magic to cosmology to elves so what's one more retcon? Let him turn into a drgonborn and his pheonix into a dragon...poof....done.

I didn't change any editions and I aint big on retcons ao i would kill them both off and have him bring in a new character with a new backstory and new personality.

Wyrmshadows

Scribble

First Post
I like the idea of the rebirth thing... maybe find a way to add a story about how after reaching a certain stage in their life all phoenixes (or is it just phoenix for both singular and plural?) must return to the place of their birth (kind of like salmon) where they "die" and are reborn generally into just a different looking phoenix... maybe prettier like butterflies... But some return not as a phoenix but as a mighty dragon? Perhaps these are the "chosen" ones of the phoenix mythos...

Mechanically just swap out a few powers for some more "dragon like." I don't think it would be necessary to do much else, although maybe you might want to change it into another monster role just to showcase the "change."

I'd say no.
I had a player like that over a year ago. It doesnt just stop, he or she will continue to ask for rediculous things that they know better than to get.
For instance I had a player literally ask to be Squall Leonheart from FF8 in my Forgotten Realms game. This was after he asked if the Lantanese could make a Sword with a Gun the Hilt. I said no and the crazy requests kept on coming.

Korgoth

First Post
You could have the phoenix grow up with an insecurity complex because it knows he really wants a dragon instead. It would be a sad, sad phoenix. Maybe it starts putting ice cubes on itself and listening to orcish opera and such.

Then again, I wouldn't let somebody change their elf into a dragon dude. Either you wanted to play a dragon dude all along, and so what are you doing playing an elf, or you have ADD and have to be forced to stick with things.

Of course, retiring a character to bring in a new character is always a perfectly acceptable option.

In games as in life, you make choices and then adapt to the consequences in view of your overall goal.

GlaziusF

First Post
I'd say no.
I had a player like that over a year ago. It doesnt just stop, he or she will continue to ask for rediculous things that they know better than to get.
For instance I had a player literally ask to be Squall Leonheart from FF8 in my Forgotten Realms game. This was after he asked if the Lantanese could make a Sword with a Gun the Hilt. I said no and the crazy requests kept on coming.

If you say yes, they ask for more stuff.
If you say no, they ask for more stuff.

If they're going to keep asking for stuff anyway, why not find a way to give it to them? At least then they're happy.

"You want a gun-sword? Sure thing. This little beauty here may look like an ordinary flaming greatsword, but there's actually a flask of concentrated alchemist's fire in the hilt, and when you hit this switch, it comes boiling out to cover the blade. When you hit these two switches together it sprays out a burst of flame and then the safety interlock cuts in, but you'll melt the conduits if you use it more than once a day. Don't bother refilling it, just stick the hilt in the embers of your campfire once a week or so and it'll take care of itself. How's it work? Ha ha, my lad, that's what you pay ME to know!"

And there ya go. That's your standard 4E flaming greatsword in terms of price, properties, and bonuses, or you could get all esoteric and swap its MIDaily power for 1 cast of burning hands applying the weapon's item bonus to attacks and damage, though it'll probably be rather inaccurate due to your average fighter intelligence bonus.

I mean, look at the worst-case scenario here. If you give one player what he asks for, maybe your other players will start asking for things too and expecting to actually get them.

And then instead of spending your time coming up with giant elaborate plots that your players aren't guaranteed to blow off to look at some insignificant detail, you can just take a little time to look at the wish lists, see what looks good and how you can link it together, and watch their little faces light up like kids at Christmas time.

My god, how could anyone ever put up with that?

Remove ads