• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E A player's perspective on 4e

xjermx

First Post
Perhaps I should have been more clear. This is not a "D&D 4e is just a video game!" post, or something similar.

I like 4e alot. In fact, I did not like 3.5, and quit playing D&D. Running this 4e game was my first time to DM for D&D in perhaps 3 years, and the first time to touch anything D&D in over a year.

The review is the words of a player, not my own, although since I'm posting them, I guess that makes me responsible for them.

My intent was just to offer, for information sake, the review of a player who was seeing it for the first time.

And we all had a blast playing it.

Derren

Hero
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Hmm. Don't really see a strong similarity.

I think it's just that people like to think in patterns, especially in already established patterns.
If you saw a pattern in a video game, and you notice something with a certain similarity in a RPG, it's "videogamey".
If you saw a pattern in a RPG, and you notice something with a certain similarity in a videogame, it means it's based on RPGs.

This does tell us there are similarities, where the pattern actually originated from, or if it is even an "emergent" patter - something that just emerges from the needs and requirements of a game...

Maybe, but you have to agree that the difference between the "normal D&D world" and "combat D&D world" is much bigger in 4E than to 3E thanks to the less accurate geometry approximation. And when you use cut scene logic (Things which are impossible in combat or maybe even otherwise still can happen in cut scenes because of the story) it becomes even more apparent.

So comparing D&D encounters to Final Fantasy ones where the game stops and switches to a completely new mode which follows completely different rules is not that far fetched.

Deimodius

First Post
I showed my players the 4e PC sheets and rules outlines from DDXP and asked if they'd like to try it out.

The answer was a resounding "Meh"

Our group is made up with people in their late 20's to early 30's with disposable income. I guess we are one of the two main "demographics" for WotC (the other being younger, newer players), and while we are only one group, NO ONE was interested in trying 4e.

That's the "perspective" of _my_ players on 4e.

xjermx said:
Perhaps I should have been more clear. This is not a "D&D 4e is just a video game!" post, or something similar.
Well, I understood it that way, too. Still the talk on video-game triggered something in my brain and made me think about "pattern recognition". ;)

Wystan

Explorer
I am trying to get a D&D 4th Edition pre-preview night with my group. This will be the stuff only from D&D Experience, and then if they like it like I do we will try the preview module when it comes out to see what has changed in that time.

I have already pre-ordered the books and look forward to getting them.

As it is I enjoy 3rd edition, but as a 13th level Scout/Deepwood Sniper mix I can say that the 1st level Ranger was just More Fun to play.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
xjermx said:

I like 4e alot. In fact, I did not like 3.5, and quit playing D&D. Running this 4e game was my first time to DM for D&D in perhaps 3 years, and the first time to touch anything D&D in over a year.

The review is the words of a player, not my own, although since I'm posting them, I guess that makes me responsible for them.

My intent was just to offer, for information sake, the review of a player who was seeing it for the first time.

And we all had a blast playing it.

I enjoyed reading your post. Welcome to the boards!

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Deimodius said:
I showed my players the 4e PC sheets and rules outlines from DDXP and asked if they'd like to try it out.

Our group is made up with people in their late 20's to early 30's with disposable income. I guess we are one of the two main "demographics" for WotC (the other being younger, newer players), and while we are only one group, NO ONE was interested in trying 4e.

My group falls into the same demographic and with one exception, we are pretty much all dying to play 4e. Its interesting how opinions can radically differ from group to group.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Deimodius said:

Nothing to do with age. Most of my gaming friends are in their late 20s to early 40s. We're all switching to 4e. Your 'type' of gamer might not be the demographic for 4e, but it has nothing to do with age.

I was initially bummed about the announcement of 4e and could easily have been a hater.

After actually trying out the rules though, I'm convinced that it does indeed fix the problems I found irksome in 3e so will be switching and am now an enthusiastic supporter.

EATherrian

First Post
Deimodius said:

Now that I have enough info to run something I'm testing the waters with my group. Of course my group is different; we all play RPGs just not as a group, mostly we get together for board-games.

keterys

First Post
I asked two of my groups if they wanted to try it out - one group is chomping at the bit excited to try it out. The other had at least one person who doesn't see much point until we have the rules, can do advancement, etc.

There is a pretty big difference between people who like to try things without the full rules, without the ability to get xp and advance their characters... and those who just like to try stuff.

Remove ads