• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Post-Zeus Greek Pantheon

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Well, I think that it probably is the human's turn to overthrow the gods next.

A good idea, but I think it'd have to be pretty extraordinary circumstances for this to happen, something on the equivalent level the Norse Ragnarok. One of the common threads of Greek Mythology is that you can't escape destiny, and hubris comes from people thinking they're greater than gods. So, given that, and pardon the pun, I'd think there would need to be something to turn the spinners of destiny, the Fates, to turn against the gods. Perhaps Ares, wanting to create another divine war, conspires with the vengeful Hero to drive her husband insane or power mad, much like Cronus before him. Then Athena may have no choice but to strike down her father (bringing a level of Greek tragedy to the gods themselves). The Fates may then decree the age of the gods might be coming to a close with this divine war.

Of course, another angle to take is that the rationalism of the philosophers is beginning to displace some of the old gods (ala the Academy from Deities and Demigods). The world is beginning to be seen as more of a lawful, observable nature rather than simply a reflection of chaotic and moody gods. As his power wanes, Zeus becomes angry and jealous, much more controlling and stormy in disposition. As his wrath increases against mankind, Apollo convinces Athena to stand with humanity against a power-mad god. The Greek pantheon splits itself, but eventually Apollo and Athena win out. Athena wearily strikes down her father with a heavy heart, but then takes his place as leader of an (ideally) more rational pantheon.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
A good idea, but I think it'd have to be pretty extraordinary circumstances for this to happen, something on the equivalent level the Norse Ragnarok. One of the common threads of Greek Mythology is that you can't escape destiny, and hubris comes from people thinking they're greater than gods. So, given that, and pardon the pun, I'd think there would need to be something to turn the spinners of destiny, the Fates, to turn against the gods. Perhaps Ares, wanting to create another divine war, conspires with the vengeful Hero to drive her husband insane or power mad, much like Cronus before him. Then Athena may have no choice but to strike down her father (bringing a level of Greek tragedy to the gods themselves). The Fates may then decree the age of the gods might be coming to a close with this divine war.

Of course, another angle to take is that the rationalism of the philosophers is beginning to displace some of the old gods (ala the Academy from Deities and Demigods). The world is beginning to be seen as more of a lawful, observable nature rather than simply a reflection of chaotic and moody gods. As his power wanes, Zeus becomes angry and jealous, much more controlling and stormy in disposition. As his wrath increases against mankind, Apollo convinces Athena to stand with humanity against a power-mad god. The Greek pantheon splits itself, but eventually Apollo and Athena win out. Athena wearily strikes down her father with a heavy heart, but then takes his place as leader of an (ideally) more rational pantheon.

That is essentially what I was thinking. Zeus, while more rational than any othe titans aside from Prometheus, is decidely elemental and something of a fascist. He represent the authority of sheer power, personifying the idea that might makes right. Athena is a goddess of war but is also Wisdom. She represents civilisation and wise rulership, something Zeus was not known for...

Samloyal23

Adventurer
My current thoughts on the godwar:

Athena came to realise that Zeus was senile and corrupt, losing his grip on reality, so she conspired with Hephaistos to make a weapon that could fell the old god then had Hermes steal the thunderbolts so Zeus would be unarmed. She castrated the old god then beheaded him for good measure.

Hades, upon hearing that Zeus was dead, tried to usurp his position, but Persephone, after millenia of being married to someone she hated found a way to poison Hades then appealed to Athena to help kill him. Since her takeover of the underworld she has fallen in love with and wed Hermes, who has taken Psychopompous as an added title.

Hera, having always hated that Athena was born from Zeus without her help, conspired with Ares to kill the upstart goddess but was strangled by Herakles, who in turn was murdered by a backstabbing Ares.

Ares later tried to backstab Athena but she forced him into a head on fight and defeated him.

I'm thinking Poseidon is done for, too, but I'm not sure how...

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I am undecided as to whether Athena would marry Apollo, Hermes, or someone else. I see her deciding to start a new generation of gods, so the pantheon will be more up to date and culturally relevant...

Nellisir

Hero
There's actually another Greek goddess of war, Enyo, the sister of Ares. She's specifically the goddess of the destruction of cities. Might be interesting to have her either stay neutral (as she has done in the past) or side against Ares.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I am undecided as to whether Athena would marry Apollo, Hermes, or someone else. I see her deciding to start a new generation of gods, so the pantheon will be more up to date and culturally relevant...

I have a feeling that Athena, in her wisdom, would not marry Hermes. As Missy Elliott pointed observed, she probably does not want a "One Minute Man"...

ephemeron

Explorer
There's a teeny bit of evidence that there actually was a cult in Classical Athens dedicated to the belief that Athena would replace Zeus as the ruler of the gods, and bring in a new golden age. The transition was supposed to happen via Mother Earth revoking Zeus' kingship and putting Athena in charge instead(!).

(This from in a fragment of an obscure ancient local history of Athens that I happened across a long time ago. Unfortunately, I can't remember the author's name -- but I might still have it in some old notes somewhere.)

For another variation: the Homeric Hymn to Apollo plays up the possibility that Apollo will overthrow Zeus... only to emphasize his loyalty to his father. Which could easily be reversed. I kind of like the idea of Apollo freeing the Titans to fight for him against his father.

Remove ads