• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A potential direction for DnDNext and cross-platform support (a wish)

noinert

Explorer
Hi everyone -- I've been lurking around these parts for awhile now. I value most of your opinions so would like to get your feedback on an idea I had last night.

The idea stemmed from a comment Mike Mearls made during the "What is happening to tabletop roleplaying games?" panel that took place at PAX East (can't post link, sorry). Mike mentioned that old school D&D depended on the the free-time, away from other games, of players and DMs to prepare for later roleplaying sessions. He stated that there is little free-time now, since games are so easily available to everyone via our cell phones, Steam, whatever. His solution to this problem is to streamline D&D to make it more accessible in small time chunks and require less preparation. My solution, which is not necessarily mutually exclusive to his, is to extend the campaign experience outside of the roleplaying experience so members can interact with it as individuals - essentially take over the time spent playing other games.

I would like to hear if you would be interested in something like I am about to outline or if it would "muddle" the RPing experience. I am also posting it here because I don't have time to Kickstart this so I'm hoping it sparks something in someone else. Because I want it to happen :)

(TL;DR) Overview: It is common for a week or more to pass between roleplaying sessions due to difficulties of getting all members together for a long block of uninterrupted time. Between sessions, individual players and DMs are left with many short blocks of time where they are forced to find other distractions or other means to “scratch the roleplaying itch”. The Downtime Ecosystem has the purpose to “scratch” this “itch” between roleplaying sessions by offering numerous and customizable game modules for players and DMs to independently interact with their campaign in short blocks of time.

Hypothetical scenario: After weeks of trying, a group of players finally find a block of time to come together around a table to roll some dice. Steve, the DM, logs into the Downtime Ecosystem website using his laptop. Steve selects his current campaign and marks the session as Open. Just then, a notification pops up on Lily’s iPhone, John’s Android phone, and Bob’s email tracker. The notification states that the roleplaying session that they are involved in is now open, so they each log in using their app or a browser window. Once they log in they are presented with a control panel showing campaign information. The players see a Journal entry that Steve wrote after their last session (and it has 10 upvotes and 200 views, the Downtime Ecosystem community really liked this entry). The players also see that Steve has fleshed out more of the game world, and submitted a few new items to the Community Database (the user’s cannot view the details of the items to avoid spoilers). Steve has been busy!

Meanwhile, Steve sees in his control panel that Lily has been busy too. Steve’s control panel notifies him that Lily played 10 hours of ArmorForge (a connect-three game where you create ever better suits of armor) garnering her PC, Goldmoon, some gold. In-game, the PCs have been in between quests so a week of game time passed of which Goldmoon spent raising gold through her craft – blacksmithing. The in-game downtime mechanics in the rulebook states that Goldmoon gains 10 gold but Steve unlocked ArmorForge to simulate Goldmoon’s extra efforts – since Lily played 10 hours, Goldmoon put in some long hours at the forge! Steve also sees that John gained some gold by playing 20 minutes of Heroes, a tower defense game that changes level and difficulty based on the experience level of Arax, John’s PC. Heroes simulates PCs that act as town guards. Steve gives the gold to Arax, and makes a note to himself to create a hook for a later quest using the fact that Arax was out slaying goblins during his downtime. Finally, Bob spent time playing Slasher, a cut-the-rope type game. Slasher is different from ArmorForge and Heroes, as it does not give gold to the PCs. Instead, Slasher is linked to a magic sword owned by Bob’s PC. By playing Slasher, Bob has recharged the magic item, giving the sword an extra 1d4 damage to its next two attacks. Knowing that the party is about to see some large battles, Steve goes ahead and unlocks to bonus for Bob’s PC.

With everything ready to go, the players open their character sheets and see everything updated by Steve. They play for a few hours, tracking changes to their stats and inventory using the Downtime Ecosystem app. Once finished, Steve closes the session and sees that he has now logged a total of 100 DMing hours. Having over 100 hours of leading roleplaying session unlocks a suit of new items for Steve to use to outfit his Castle. Steve also sees that one of his submitted items reached the Most Downloaded list – gaining him a new badge and more items for his Castle. Steve is too excited to go to bed, so he spends some time decorating his castle then updates his public profile to show everyone his new digs.

-----

Anyways -- I outlined some technical details too but this post is already too long. And I don't want to get too far off topic from D&D Next.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I like the idea of getting rewarded for doing things between sessions. While simple, game-like apps might be entertaining for some players, I would much rather write more character backstory or world history than play ArmorBuilder in my freetime.

Alternatively, there's no reason why you can't have some simple world-building logarithms, and use minimal player input to extend the game world in cyber space (saving the GM oodles of time). Time spent doing that should be worth some level-appropriate power-ups.

fjw70

Adventurer
I am not really interested in electronic games so this wouldn't interest me.

i am sure others would like it though.

gweinel

Explorer
Really not interested in a format like this. I would exploit the innureble adventures of the previous editions and the stuff of the 3rd parties instead of forcing me to this play-style.

Texicles

First Post
This is quite interesting. As some have suggested, this sort of system isn't for them, but then I think it's pretty obvious that this would be a purely optional way to play.

As I've said about 5e since I joined this forum at the beginning of the playtest, when it comes to options, more > less. As someone who has crushed a considerable amount of candy, I can say that there's a market for what I like to call "bathroom games." There's only so many times you can thumb through this year's Farmer's Almanac before you need something else to pass a few minutes whilst seated, and quick minigames on ubiquitous smartphones fill that role nicely. If the games were comparable in quality (read: good) and cost (i.e. free), I'd probably play the D&D ones, just to support the brand, even if my table had no intention of using the applicable ruleset.

Is this the best integration of TTRPGs and mobile technology? Probably not (IMO of course). For that, I'd defer to [MENTION=6685730]DMMike[/MENTION] and the idea of using tech to facilitate quality encounter/adventure-building, or things like a fully-functional mobile DDI app or even a really solid virtual tabletop like Roll20 is building. But I do think this might be an interesting way to give the arcane art of using imagination and paper to play games more of a presence in an increasingly digital, mobile, bite-sized marketplace.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Really not interested in a format like this. I would exploit the innureble adventures of the previous editions and the stuff of the 3rd parties instead of forcing me to this play-style.

Forcing you into this playstyle?

What the heck has happened to D&D fans? Look, if I say "Do you want this cookie" that is not the same as me wrestling you to the ground and forcing a cookie down your throat. He mentioned a clever COMPLETELY OPTIONAL add-on thing that some people like. If you don't like it, don't use it. But stop with the histrionics about people forcing things on you.

Remathilis

Legend
That might appeal to some players, but not mine*. I can't get my PCs to update their PCs between sessions when they level. I have a Facebook group that nobody posts or replies to much. They all enjoy playing, but the other 13 days between sessions, they couldn't care less.Perhaps some electronic app/online element might be cool for some groups, but I please don't make it required. Groups like mine would never use it.

*This isn't strictly true: one player enters his info into PC gen between sessions and is active in creating new spells (however, he's also a GM so it does double duty). Another reads stuff during downtime. The others don't give a rats-donkey.

Rygar

Explorer
I applaud your outside the box thinking, and I think your idea is viable.

That said, I also think there's myriad dangers in it as well.

First, it's treading dangerous waters bordering on being a F2P/P2W/Social game construct. The danger lies in the currently very heavy backlash towards F2P/P2W. Core gamers are very much in opposition for those types of gameplay, and it runs the risk of D&D being branded F2P/P2W which would irreprably harm its reputation.

Second, tying into the first, it's creating an ecosystem of necessary outside of gametime play on an app. If you have 5 people at the table, 2 who religiously play this app, 3 who do not, you're rapidly going to have an unbalanced party. It starts making it a mandatory activity, and that'll burn people out and turn people off. This becomes especially problematic if its introduced to Organized Play and catastrophic if introduced to Living formats for these reasons and the reasons below...

Third, it's exploitable. It would be relatively trivial to macro as a player or a DM. It could be easily done via a simulator on the PC, and any anti-cheat tech would be useless as the PC can sandbox the sim and use C# code to directly manipulate the mouse to simulate human interactivity. Yes, people really will do this. Any time you incentivize some grind-type activity with bonuses to some entertaining activity, people will bot it. Heck, It'd probably be less than a week before China starts selling X number of hours playing a minigame for $10. There's not alot that can be done to prevent this, as with a PC you could easily forge an IP address, hardware serial numbers, or pass along your SIM number.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its a bad idea at all. I'm just saying that you may want to redesign away from grind and F2P/P2W style mechanics.

There is a way to mitigate this, I have some ideas that this would fit right into, but I'm not going to post them to an open forum for fear of losing my rights. PM me if you want to discuss.

Remove ads