• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A problem of alignment

All right folks, I have a problem. I generally DM for my group, but currently we're taking a break and doing a beer and pretzels dungeon run.

We're playing Rappan Athuk and we're run into a snag. The DM has run this as a play whatever you'd like style. we've run the gambit of half dragons, tieflings, and such. Here's the issue. We've got a pair of paladins in the group with my lawful neatral necromancer (toeing the goody goodies line while their around ):D But recently we've added another player and she's been running a soceress. Problem is her character died last time we played and we discovered that "she", is actually a succubus.

Wonderful. One of the paladins was a recent character change by one of our players and she's got the demon slayer prestige class from the Dof.

Now, both the paladin players love their characters, and evidently the sorceress loves hers as well. I've tried some suggestions on having a goddess we're working for (don't ask) change her to something less offensive. Sorceress through a fit over this one. I'm seeing this entire party blow apart over this and I'd really rather not as it's supposed to be a break for me. Help! What's a player trying to save his party from killing itself to do? :confused:

Vaxalon

First Post
Inflexibility and fanaticism is its own reward. If the PC's kill each other, maybe next time they will create more compatible characters.

Deedlit

First Post
I agree with BiggusGeekus. A smart Paladin will travel with a lesser evil, to defeat a greater foe. This is a fantasy tradition(Teaming up with a lesser villain) that has been done countless times, from LotR(Frodo and Sam using Smeagol as a guide) to Lodoss War(Kashue and Ashram joining forces against shooting star). Of course, after the great evil is defeated, they will either try to kill each other, or act like Vegeta(And Piccolo early on) do, saying whenever they fight alongside one another that the hero is next, but never getting around to killing the hero in the first place.

Yes, I know. I guess maybe I'm at fault here. As a DM myself I try to keep things neet and tidy. Party controversy is all fine and dandy, but out and out party hatred of other PC's is something I frown upon. In D&D at least, I'm perfectly fine with it if I'm running say, vampire. :D

I guess having an evil demon pal around with a lawful good demon slaying paladin just stretches my suspension of disbelief farther than I'm comfortable with. This of course was proposed just before we split, but it really didn't feel right for anybody. Other than the player of the demoness that is.

I understand the reasoning behind this, and honestly, if this where a role playing heavy campaign then I'd probably eat this up. If anybody else has any other ideas please voice them, otherwise I think we'll have to go for the lesser evil pitch and just call it good. If I can get it by the paladins that is. :rolleyes:

Kibo

Banned
Banned
Ashrum the Black said:
Problem is her character died last time we played and we discovered that "she", is actually a succubus.

Wonderful. One of the paladins was a recent character change by one of our players and she's got the demon slayer prestige class from the Dof.

Now, both the paladin players love their characters, and evidently the sorceress loves hers as well. I've tried some suggestions on having a goddess we're working for (don't ask) change her to something less offensive. Sorceress through a fit over this one. I'm seeing this entire party blow apart over this and I'd really rather not as it's supposed to be a break for me. Help! What's a player trying to save his party from killing itself to do? :confused:

Not so much of a problem. Are the Paladin's Lawful Good? Did the succubus sorceress work towards the greater good and with the party when she was alive? It's simple. Either they keep their honor and repay their debts to whomever they are indebted, or they're not honorable in the Aurthurian sence, and not lawful good. They might not like it, but that's one of the things that comes with a ridged code of conduct.

I'd even be inclined to let them have their way, but it would cost them the favor of their God(dess).

BBrendolfus

First Post
Generally I think the party would come into conflict and someone will die or flee. That appears to me to be the likely option here.

Players need to decide in advance what style of campaign they will have for this reason.

Perhaps the Succubus is an outcast from the Abyss or perhaps she is possessed by a Succubus and needs rescuing. She is a victim and only sometimes exhibits chaotic evil demonic traits, probably during times of passion such as battle and sex. Thereby starting a holy quest of exorcism for the paladins while the sorceress gets to keep those powers as a byproduct (what is the ecl for a succubi?).

Good and evil characters won't get on so find an acceptable middle ground for the 3.

radferth

First Post
In theory, paladins will not work with evil beings, but if the DM is going to let people play half-dragons, demons, and teiflings, he should let the paladins know exactly what their order or vows require. I would assume that Paladins working with demons-who-behave-themselves is fine in this world. If not, tell the DM: "You are the one who broke this party, fix it."

National Acrobat

First Post
I have to also agree with the "Lesser of Two Evils" thing also. A paladin will accept that on at least a temporary basis to allow a greater evil to be defeated. The more important threat needs to be dealt with first, then the others. That's not to say that they still won't end up fighting each other later.

The group I dm has a paladin in it and they have recently had to ally with a lesser Drow Noble house in order to find the information that they need to deal with a more powerful set of drow, once it is over I fully expect the party to wage war on their current 'allies'.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads