• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Problem of Nobility or Things that go Bump in the Night (Covaithe Judging)

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Renau1g takes a break from the game on the weekends. He'll be back on Monday with more evil tricks. ;)

Questions to anyone who knows: 1) How long does the cloud of pain last? 2) What is the saving throw for blindness? and 3) If we bait them out of the cloud of pain, does it move as the girl moves?

roll for arcana check: 1d20+1 = 6 :(
[/sblock]

Last edited:

N3rday

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Oh, I didn't realize that was every weekend. Well, okay then!

As for your questions:

Saving throw for any standard condition (blindness, weakened, whatever) is 10 or higher out of 20 - no modifiers or anything, just straight 10+ on a d20.
The other two questions - I have no idea, and I bet the DM isn't going to tell you ;). I guess everyone could retreat from the cloud and see if she moves. Who knows?

[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Grim refocuses his attention on the minion nearest him. So close, he can hear the breathing... so close. "You'll die soon, too. Don't make this harder than it has to be." His blades flash again, clumsier this time as mist wells up in his eyes. On the backswing from one of his blows, Grim clubs himself in the head with his own fist. "Ah, that's better... pain always makes the vision clear." Despite the blindness, Grim's words ring true and so do his blades, nearly felling the cloaked figure.

Georg looks around blindly and calls out to his allies Stay where you were, so I don't burn you! He moves into the cold aura with a grunt, through the square occupied by the dead cloak and reaches out towards the wall. He then lifts his staff and chants an incantation. Fire spews ahead and along the wall, catching only those furthest back in the room. He rubs his eyes and can't seem to clear them. I'm at the back wall. Call out when you move!

Carolina spins on her heels as she pulls her dagger and swipes at the new cloaked figure. Clearly rattled, she backpedals deeper into the room.

Raiyek slumps back against the wall and slides to the floor, unconscious.

Xoc looks over at Raiyek. "Don't let them fell you so quickly - that's little more than a scrape! Get back up and fight, while I help our rogue with the new intruder."

Raiyek's eyes blink open as he feels some energy flow back into his veins, although he's still stuck on the ground. Xoc then moves past Carolina, providing some protection for her and stabs at the cloaked assassin, his weapon scratching the leather armour, but failing to pierce it.

"My eyes are on the fritz, but that wont stop me." Getting his bearings straight he focuses his attention on the cloaked enemy to his left, this time with a different attack. He strikes hard and pushes foward at the same time, but the cloaked figure sidesteps and parries quickly, forcing Kruk back.

The female shifts away from the heroes and stands atop the grate, she steps over Raiyek's prone form and touches Grim. Pain flares from the touch up and down your body.

The injured cloaked figure moves and stabs Georg quickly as the wizard can't quite defend himself properly against the attack.

The small figure opposite Xoc snarls as he can't pursue his bloodied foe, but he stabs the warlord with his tiny dagger and twists as it enters Xoc's flesh causing a nasty wound.

[sblock=OOC]
Grim hits with both bloodying the foe.

Georg's Burning Hands hits and bloodies the female.

Carolina's attack misses

Raiyek is Ko'd and his Divine Challenge wears off b/c he couldn't engage his foes by the end of his turn.

Xoc heals Raiyek and misses the cloak near Carolina.

Kruk misses

Grim takes 11 fire/necrotic damage from teh figure

Georg takes 9 damage from the cloak

Xoc takes 8 damage from cloak 2 (wow... I wish I rolled this well as a player)

Cloak 1: n/a
Female - Aura 2, cloud providing concealment & all squares in it are difficult terrain (all enemies and Raiyek are in the effect)
Kruk, Georg - Blinded (save ends)
Raiyek - Bloodied

Lighting: Lantern on table provides bright illumination

Init:
Raiyek - 21
Xoc - 19
Kruk - 14
Female - 20 (delayed, now at 13)
Cloaks - 13
Grim - 12 <- you're up
Georg - 11
Carolina - 8 (sorry, Nat 1)
Grim, kruk; raiyek; xoc; carolina; georg (1d20+5=12, 1d20+3=14, 1d20+5=21, 1d20+2=19, 1d20+7=8, 1d20+2=11, 1d20+6=20, 1d20+6=13)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Quick question, I have Staff of Defence which means I can add +3 to my defense after the DM rolls. If I use it, would it prevent the cloak from hitting me? I get to decide this after the DM rolls including after damage is rolled[/sblock]

Tinwe

First Post
The female shifts away from the heroes and stands atop the grate, she steps over Raiyek's prone form and touches Grim. Pain flares from the touch up and down your body.

Grim takes 11 fire/necrotic damage from teh figure

Grim grunts as the pain burns into his body, and turns to face his new enemy. He lands a shattering blow, taunts his opponent "Ha! Girls should know better than to pick a fight!" and then lands another before moving to assist the Halfling.

[sblock]
Grim is Bloodied. 14/30 hp remaining

Minor: Hunter's Quarry on female
Standard: Jaws of the Wolf on female:
Jaws of the Wolf (attack vs AC and damage): (1d20+7=27, 2d12+4=20, 1d20+7=12, 2d12+4=7)

First is a CRIT for 24+4+1d12 (1d12+28=38) +6 (for quarry) damage! Second (probably) misses.

Move: to D5[/sblock]

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
Georg feels the bite of steel and the cold aura weakening him, he shows the resilience of his race by quickly regaining his breath and then slams down his staff at the only opponent he can possibly locate while blind, the one that attacked him. Backing away slowly he seems to clear his vision.

[sblock=OOC]Assuming that if Grim kills the female nothing TOO dramatic happens to change the playing field, Georg will use Second Wind as a minor action healing 7 (19/31) and getting +2 to defenses. Then he will use Thunderwave as a blast towards the back hitting only the cloak.
1d20+4=19 (versus Fortitude) 1d6+4=5 (Thunder damage) push 2 1d20=19 (save vs blind)
If that is a hit, I will push the cloak into the back corner (over the grate) then shift one to C4 out of the cloud.
[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
FYI Grim's first attack will kill the female, so you can edit your action regarding the action point if you'd like. Also, nobody after Grim will take any more of the aura damage.
[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Taking advantage of Xoc's maneuvering, Carolina sheathes her dagger and levels her crossbow at the cloaked menace. She smiles from behind the orc as she pulls the trigger.

[sblock=Rolls]1d20+7=17, 1d6+8=10 Hit AC 17 for 10 damage[/sblock]

[sblock=Carolina's stat block]Carolina- Female Halfling Rogue 1
Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 9
AC:17, Fort:11, Reflex:17, Will:13 -- Speed:6
HP:12/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:7/7
Initiative +5
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers: Sly Flourish, Deft Strike, Positioning Strike, Blinding Barrage
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads