D&D 5E A Proper Ability Score Generation Preference Poll

What PC ability score generation method do you prefer?

• Pick any scores you want

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Point-buy of 27 ponts

Votes: 77 40.5%
  • Standard array only

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Default PHB: Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR standard array

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR point-buy (27 points & including standard array)

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • 4d6 drop lowest only

Votes: 19 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.3%

Hussar

Legend
Why would the barbarian have the same chances to persuade as the charming bard even if you used standard array? Wouldn't the barbarian have a much lower Cha and much higher Str?

Again, just because we all use the same array doesn't mean that all characters are equal at all things. There will always be differences between PC's. I'm really not understanding why you are arguing that the only form of parity is identical stats. Or, how die rolling will automatically achieve a greater distinction between PC's than array or point buy. It's possible that die rolled characters will be closer to each other than point buy or standard array would allow.

Oofta

Legend
Why would the barbarian have the same chances to persuade as the charming bard even if you used standard array? Wouldn't the barbarian have a much lower Cha and much higher Str?

Again, just because we all use the same array doesn't mean that all characters are equal at all things. There will always be differences between PC's. I'm really not understanding why you are arguing that the only form of parity is identical stats. Or, how die rolling will automatically achieve a greater distinction between PC's than array or point buy. It's possible that die rolled characters will be closer to each other than point buy or standard array would allow.

I was wondering the same thing. It could happen in a put-abilities-rolled-in-order, or with the person running the barbarian getting super rolls and the bard getting poor rolls. But point buy? It would have to be with people that built a very non-traditional characters.

In any case, I've used point buy for years (decades now that I think about it) and there's plenty of variation. Some people will always gravitate towards certain builds, but that has next to nothing to do with the numbers assigned to abilities.

EdAbbey

Explorer
I prefer some randomness in the process and use the 4d6 method - particularly with new players. Its an early introduction to the vagaries of a game where chance plays a role in your fate. Its a method that is more likely to produce some exceptional scores on either end of the spectrum and exceptional scores are a good tool for role playing. While backgrounds can be an effective tool, I think its easier for a newer/younger player to incorporate a very low/high ability score into their character development - especially if its int, wis or cha.

With more experienced players, I usually let them choose their method - point-buy, standard array or 4d6. This way, they can use the method that produces a character most suitable to their play-style.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
For my next campaign, I'm kicking around the idea of using the Point Buy, but having the players use 2d6+20 points instead of 27. It will still average out, but there's a chance of getting a lower/higher result.

(shrug) Or not. Point Buy with 27 points works just fine also.

Remove ads