• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question about healing surges

Surgoshan

First Post
Do you gain an additional healing surge every other level? Under "gaining levels" in chapter one of the PHB, it says "Also, if you increased your Constitution score to an even number, increase your number of healing surges by one", which implies that your healing surges are more or less fixed, barring stat increases.

baberg

First Post
Healing surges seem to be equal to

# + CON Modifier (# is based on class)

So when you increase CON and go to an even number (thus bumping your CON modifier) you get an additional surge.

Surgoshan

First Post
So when a power or ability or what have you says "+ [stat] modifier" then they mean just the straight mod, before level, yes? And when it refers to the stat alone, then it's the stat mod + 1/2 level?

baberg

First Post
Surgoshan said:
So when a power or ability or what have you says "+ [stat] modifier" then they mean just the straight mod, before level, yes? And when it refers to the stat alone, then it's the stat mod + 1/2 level?
Hrm. That's a good question, but I'm thinking that 'specific beats general' and since the levelling up mechanic specifically says that you only bump your Healing Surge total when your CON gets bumped to an even number.

But that's a good point, I didn't think that the CON modifier gets modded by 1/2 level as well. But I'm pretty sure they want non-level-modded CON modifier for healing surges only. But the rest (damage calcs, etc) it should use the complete stat including magic items and 1/2 level.

Surgoshan

First Post
Actually, weapon damage doesn't get bumped, either. They give an example of a 12 level paladin with a longsword and a power that does 2[W]. The total is 2d8+7, +2 from weapon focus, +3 from strength, and +2 from her magic weapon. So you don't add half your level to damage.

You do get the 1/2 level bonus on your attack roll, though. That's from another example.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads