• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question for story hour authors

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
If it were up to me - I'd have to write the whole thing from memory, because while I have a calendar I jot down major events on - I take no notes whatsoever, except for those absolutely necessary to keep the continuity going. . .

However, I have one player who keeps a quote log and one who keeps detailed notes (including a round by round re-cap of combat!) These help immensely since I am able to tackle each session with the aid of six to twelve pages of quotes, and some 10 to 15 pages in the little notebook the player uses for the notes. Whatever important dialogue is not in the quotes I recreate - nor do I always use all the quotes. The greatest thing is that the "quote" player sometimes includes a note of action to a quote and the "note-taker" player includes a quote so I can cross-reference their notes!

Needless to say, both of these players get significant XP bonuses for this work!

As for how accurate it is, I wouldsay 80 to 85% accurate - I will truncate scenes, and sometimes embellish for the sake of humor or drama - but generally it is as it happened.

RObiN-HoOD

Explorer
My idea for keeping notes involves the OLYMPUS DM-1.
I really don't know if this DM-1 thing was named for DMs :D but it really works for me. DM-1 is a professional digital recorder for journalists, and not only, with a quite good sensitivity to the build-in microphone which let me record the whole session. It is completely digitally and records at least 10 hours (and more...). Then I download the files to my PC via USB and there we are. I can listen to every session I have and de-compile what happened when and by whom. I even have players who wants to keep the recording too.

And with this trick I can measure role-playing, battles and improve even myself from time to time ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads