• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Question for the 25 and under crowd - What have you read?

If you are 25 or younger, which, if any, of the following authors have you read?

Hussar

Legend
Over in the forked How Important Magic 5 Things you Need Know thread, we've been talking about which authors could be considered iconic for D&D. Now, there's a push among some who would argue that D&D should remain "true to its roots" in various authors like Lieber and Howard and some who would argue that expanding the scope is perhaps a better idea.

So, I'd like to ask those of you who are 25 as of this year or younger, what have you read? What authors from the list have you read at some time in the past?

Note, I know this is hardly scientific and anyone can vote, but, I'm asking for people who are 25 or younger to vote in this one please.

Cadfan

First Post
I'm a little over your age cutoff, so I'll just tell you instead of vote.

Yes: Leiber, Tolkien, Rowlings, Jordan, Mieville, Pratchett, Brooks
No: Vance, Howard, Moorcock

I'm broadly familiar with the no's, but just not that interested in them. Its not the sort of fantasy I read.

I know you were limited to ten, but there are some other modern classics. Mercedes Lackey is a big one. You'll probably get low positives on her on this forum, but in the broader spectrum of readers of fantasy she positively whips most of your list.

Henrix

Explorer
I'm pouting because I'm not allowed to vote! There should at least have been an alternative for 'I'm over 25, so my vote doesn't count but I want to vote anyhow'!

I can't recall ever having read any Terry Brooks, really. Perhaps I should have?

Asmor

First Post
I'm 24 and have read none of them.

I don't read much fiction. Not that I don't want to, I just never seem to have the time.

EDIT: Woops, I take that back. I'd almost forgotten that I've read The Hobbit. I've tried to read the trilogy a number of times, too, but can never make it very far before losing interest. Not really a fan of the LotR.

Last edited:

Squizzle

First Post
I just pulled a boner and voted, shortly thereafter remembering, hey, I'm 26. (I assume that I'm not the only one who started to lose track after 21.)

I have read very little by any of those on the list, but voted the following:
Fritz Leiber (Swords & Ice Magic, a spectacular genre read. Would be very interested in reading more if I find it at a used book store or cheap on Amazon.); Howard (some small bits and pieces of Conan here and there, but couldn't tell you what); Tolkien (The Hobbit, when I was rather young); Michael Moorcock (An Alien Heat, whic I have this terrible habit of picking up at night, getting much or most of the way through, then falling asleep--and not picking it up again until I might as well just start over. These are the perils of reading in bed.).

nightwyrm

First Post
I'm 27 so I'm just over the max voting age, but from the list I've read Rowlings, Jordan, Howard (Conan) and some Tolkien (Hobbit and first half of Fellowship).

I think your list should include more recent fantasy authors. Off the top of my head, stuff from Eddings, Feist, Weis, Lackey and Jim Butcher had a much greater effect on my games than Tolkien ever did. I also consume a lot of manga/anime and tvtropes.com, and that stuff has a strong influence in my games as well.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Read: Howard, Tolkien, Moorcock, Rowlings, Jordan, Mieville, Pratchett.

Though I don't care a lot for Howard's and Rowlings' books.

Authors that I feel are missing from the list are: Butcher and Gaiman - both are big - and I like their books a lot.

Cheers, LT.

Lackhand

First Post
I voted... and then remembered I had to log in. No idea whether my vote counted. It seems like China Mieville is under-read, if so :)

"Vance"? "Leiber"? "Howard"? "Moorcock"? Who are these people? I kid, but only a little. Never read them, never came across their books while browsing, and I like to (pretend?) to consider myself reasonably well-read.

Tolkein, Rowlings, Jordan, Mieville, Pratchett and Brooks, on the other hand, I have read.

(edit: Tirian's got a point. Butcher & Gaiman should really be on any list of D&Dalikes, ideally instead of Brooks and ???)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads