• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question I should already know about touch attacks

theRogueRooster

First Post
I've got a very low strength wizard I'm creating and had a question about melee touch attacks. Namely, are melee touch attacks keyed off of Strength or Dexterity? I figure the answer is Strength since it's a melee touch attack, but I don't get it conceptually, since I'm merely touching the opponent, and using Spectral Hand to boot.

-tRR

werk

First Post
Melee is strength, ranged is dexterity.

It is finessable, but would require that you actually have weapon finesse.

werk

First Post
You can finesse all light weapons in 3.5. "An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon." - PHB - Strike, Unarmed, pg. 121 (but it looks like I may have a .pdf of an older version PHB.) Oh how I wish they didn't block the SRD at work :(

I didn't bring up AoO, Imp. unarmed strike or any of that, assuming you know.

Bad Paper

First Post
I throw the Strength bonus to melee touch attacks out the window. All touch attacks are Dexterity-based.

It is absurd that a creature of Str 1000 and Dex 1 and BAB 0 (a glacier, essentially) would be able to hit anyone's touch AC.

gnfnrf

First Post
Bad Paper said:
I throw the Strength bonus to melee touch attacks out the window. All touch attacks are Dexterity-based.

It is absurd that a creature of Str 1000 and Dex 1 and BAB 0 (a glacier, essentially) would be able to hit anyone's touch AC.

But such a creature is inherently absurd anyway.

--
gnfnrf

Remove ads