• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question on Extra Smiting (CW) feat

Perun

Mushroom
What happens when a character who has two (or more) different smiting abilities (say, multiclass paladin/cleric with the Destruction domain) takes Extra Smiting feat (from Complete Warrior)?

I can see three options here:
  1. The character picks one smiting ability and gets extra uses for that specific smite attack (the above-mentioned sample character could pick either the paladin's smite evil ability, or the general smite from the Destruction domain); or
  2. The character gets two extra "floating" uses of smite per day that he can apply to either of his smite attacks, as he sees fit.
  3. The character gains extra uses of both of his smite abilities (so the above character gets extra uses of both his smite evil and his Destruction domain smite ability).
The relevant bit in the feat description says:
Complete Warrior (p. 98) said:
Use whatever smite ability you have (the paladin's smite evil ability or the hunter of the dead's ability to smite undead, for example).
I'm not a native English speaker, so the sentence doesn't really imply which option would be considered correct in this case, but the option 3 somehow seems the least likely one.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
I think the feat description is written with the assumption that you only have one type of smite ability. If you've got a couple of them, I'd say option 1 is the way to go, but wouldn't have a problem (as DM and player) with option 2. Definitely not option 3.

Scharlata

First Post
Perun said:
[*] The character gets two extra "floating" uses of smite per day that he can apply to either of his smite attacks, as he sees fit.

Hi!

I vote for the above mentioned option, as the feat doesn't state "chose one smite ability you have" but states that you can "use whatever smite ability you have".

Kind regards

Remove ads