• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E A Quibble About 4e Gods (rural)

Cryptos

First Post
Clerics pages from C&R said:
We wanted deities to be designed for play in the D&D world. Sure, it’s realistic in a sociological sense to have a deity of doorways or of agriculture, but it’s hard to figure out how a cleric who worships such a deity honors his god by going on adventures.

Ok, "God of Doorways" I get. I'm picturing a little old guy in a red suit with gold buttons that always gets to stand outside the gates to the higher planes and help the other gods out of their chariots.

But I really hope there is an example of some sort of god more suitable for the rural settings and that they aren't all dictated by the usefulness of praying to them before going into a dungeon. Yes, that's sociology, but I think it's also silly to think that such a god can't be adventure-worthy.

Take a look at this guy:
cernunnos.jpg.rZd.146386.jpg

That's Cernunnos. God of the Hunt, the Wild God. Strongly associated with fertility and produce. Spread from Gaul, Italy to the Celts. Inspired all of those "green man" ornaments you see from gardens to architecture. One of organized Christianity's prime targets back in the day to convert the rural pagan folks.

Now, he doesn't quite look like a sissy to me. Or someone that just delivers you a rabbit carcass and an apple. I certainly wouldn't turn him down if he wanted to go into a dungeon with me - I'd say "you first!"

I guess I just disagree that gods that fulfill a sociological niche have to be boring, not as useful in RPGs, or necessitating a large pantheon. The great horny one above covered a lot of territory in terms of his 'portfolio' over the years.

I think they should have a generic god that more simple, rural peoples might worship. Someone like that guy up there, whose portfolio extends well beyond growing pumpkins and potatoes to the Hunt, all the creatures of the forest, and so forth, shows that it's possible to have a "successful" rural god without being boring, unimposing or limited.

Aside from making clerics "adventure-capable", it's also for the sake of adventure seeds that something like that should be included. There's a lot of interaction that can be gotten out of a good, solid "pagan" god in a pantheon of dignified city gods of War or Strength. A god that gives flavor to all those little "points of light", something that says that Greenacres is a very different place from Baldur's Gate. A god with ignorant (and not so ignorant) followers - from the perspective of others. Someone that the city clerics might distrust or seek to turn the heathen pagans from the farmlands away from. A god more directly in conflict with those worshipped by the wild races of the land (kobolds, lizardmen, etc.) Thief: The Dark Project was centered, in part, around people who basically worshipped that world's version of Cernunnos - "The Woodsy God". One of the first third party D&D adventures readily available for 3.0 D&D was Crucible of Freya, about some chunky Earth-mama agricultural goddess and the jerks that stole her priest's cup.

So I fail to see how it doesn't relate directly to D&D adventuring.

Anyway, I know it's a bit silly because even I'll likely just make my own religions if/when I DM... but it's the example and tone that it sets that bothers me. Because I as much as I'd like to world build with the game, I'd also like to be a player - inevitably I'll probably wind up in at least one game that's based more on the 'default' setting than not - and it's never really suited me that all the villagers far from the city just worshiped the same guy they do in town. It especially doesn't make sense for a "points of light in darkness" oriented setting, in my opinion.

"Ah, you're a wizard! You probably worship the goddess of magic and knowledge." "Ah, a fighter! You might be interested in this god of strength and fortitude!" Oh, well, they certainly look fancy. But actually, we're from Bumpkinville, and this guy is our god.

Maybe they already have plans like this for their pantheon, I don't know. But mention of things like "gods of agriculture" mentioned in the same breath as "gods of doorknobs" doesn't bode well to me.

This isn't an "oh my god(s), 4e is going to be horrible" thing. It's one of the few things I've seen so far that I don't like on some level. But it does bother me that perhaps they're going to make the assumption that the preferred, default setting for D&D should be "points of light between dungeons where people go to buy more arrows and meet henchmen in a tavern." If everything has to be directly useful for dungeoneering and adventuring, I hope it also supports the potential for rich, detailed worlds.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Wait, I'm confused, this is news?

But yes, in many threads on the 4e forum I've made the same point: gods designed for dungeon delving are essential, but are shallow. Which is why Kord can take up weather and Bahamut can take up cities and Sehanine can take up beauty and an agriculture god can take up war without really hurting their ability to be more generic adventurers

I mean, it's not sociology, per se, it's the ability of the NPC's of the world to not have to pay homage to the Dr. Swordopolis the God of Swords in order to make babies and feed themselves, and so that a God of Strength has some reason to be prayed to by those who lack it. It's verisimilitude. Gods are world-building elements, not just adventurer-building elements.

Rechan

Adventurer
I don't disagree.

Gods of the Hunt like Artemis had "the moon, young maidens, childbirth, young animals, and archery" in her portfolio. It's interesting to note that many of the historical War gods had other stuff tossed into their portfolio. Athena had Wisdom and Craft thrown into her portfolio (at least, according to Wiki). The North African goddess Tanit "was also a heavenly goddess of war, a virginal mother goddess and nurse, a consort of Baal and, less specifically, a symbol of fertility."

To wit, Gods are more dynamic and have more in their portfolio than "Just that one thing I precede over." Hell, Hades, god of the Underworld, was also god of the riches found in the earth!

To some extent, just "God of Crops and Makin' Babies and the hearth" doesn't sound exciting. But then you need to jazz it up a little. God of the Crops might have a sect who think you need to sacrifice someone so the crops grow. Crops being stolen or the harvest being prevented by monsters picking on the farmers is Very Important to the Goddess of the Crops. The Goddess of the Hearth might be about the protection of the community's well being, against monsters that sneak into them.

Sure, a God of "The places between the points of light" Who's not overtly evil, the guy you whisper a prayer to in hopes you won't get eaten when you go past the city gates, is imparitive.

And even the Horned God might not be all that nice a man. He might have some lycanthropes worshiping him, eager to tear into fleshy people. But does that make him the Evil God, or the Wild God?

Nahat Anoj

First Post
IMO, heroic, action-packed genres like D&D worlds should have gods that focus on heroic, action-packed portfolios. It's the nature of the D&D universe, built into the very fabric of the genre's physics.

Stuff like being a god of childbirth, the hearth, or whatever should really be secondary, if it's even mentioned at all. Again, all IMO.

adembroski

First Post
Jonathan Moyer said:
IMO, heroic, action-packed genres like D&D worlds should have gods that focus on heroic, action-packed portfolios. It's the nature of the D&D universe, built into the very fabric of the genre's physics.

Stuff like being a god of childbirth, the hearth, or whatever should really be secondary, if it's even mentioned at all. Again, all IMO.

It's sort of a fluff vs. crunch issue. Sure, those gods lend themselves to adventurers, but without the others, you have a world that feels "off".

One of the reasons I've always liked the Dragonlance gods... they all have purposes beyond their military applications. Mishakal is not only the god of healing, but of fertility and agriculture. Gilean is not only the god of balance, but of knowledge and history. Zeboim isn't only the god of rage, but of seafarers. Giving each god a peaceful and military application seems to round things out.

That said, a God of Doorways brings to mind the Roman Pantheon, pre-Greek conquest (Steve, god of Pastries!).

ImperialParadox

First Post
A world that only posseses 'adventure ready' gods seems unrealistic to me. Sure, your character might not wish to worship a god of agriculture and peace, but the majority of the non-player populance will. Having a world where everyone worships the gods of 'killing things and taking their stuff' exclusively seems rather rediculous.

As was pointed out, many real life gods have multiple portfolios - this would be a good pattern to follow for D&D.

For example the god of agriculture (a possibly boring portfolio to the average player) might also be the god of law and order as well. Not only does this god concern himself with the orderly fashion and timetables of the planting seasons, in addition, his love of order spills over into human interaction, from the caste system of peasants and lords and the natural progression of all things, be it seed to crop or child to man. Using a phrase like 'you reap what you sow' will show that he teaches hard work produces results, in the harvest and in life. As such this god would be worshiped by peasants (boring from a PC standpoint) and also those concerned with law and justice (more exciting from a PC standpoint). Such dual-aspects for each god could be created rather easily and is more satisfying then a solely PC-centric list of deities.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
I will add - the gods presented are NOT the only ones of the world.

They are just the most popular ones for the,,, atypical individuals that are adventurers...

Roger

First Post
I expect there will be a 4e Deities and Demigods in some form, sooner or later.

I can live without the God of Farming showing up in the first 4e DMG. Cutting the first set of books down to their page limits must be difficult.

Cheers,
Roger

Remove ads