A Quick Look At EN World's Demographics

I use Google Analytics to track this website's performance, and especially to get some insight into usage patterns and (anonymized aggregate) demographic data. Here's a quick look at the reports for the last month. I grabbed a few snapshots of total users, gender and age demographics, and location data by country. There are no great surprises: traffic is healthy (although this is by no means the best month so far this year - one month had over 450K unique active users), the percentage of female visitors is still terrible low - far too low - and the US is by far the largest single country of origin. That last item is interesting - the amount of non-US traffic has increased a lot across the board over the last couple of years, and while the US traffic has increased in terms of raw numbers, it has decreased by about 15% in terms of percentage share. In other words, there's lots of new traffic coming in from other countries.

I use Google Analytics to track this website's performance, and especially to get some insight into usage patterns and (anonymized aggregate) demographic data. Here's a quick look at the reports for the last month. I grabbed a few snapshots of total users, gender and age demographics, and location data by country. There are no great surprises: traffic is healthy (although this is by no means the best month so far this year - one month had over 450K unique active users), the percentage of female visitors is still terrible low - far too low - and the US is by far the largest single country of origin. That last item is interesting - the amount of non-US traffic has increased a lot across the board over the last couple of years, and while the US traffic has increased in terms of raw numbers, it has decreased by about 15% in terms of percentage share. In other words, there's lots of new traffic coming in from other countries.

demographics.jpg

countries.jpg

active.jpg

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Wow. I was surprised by the amount of Aussies on here. I keep an eye out for other Australians and recognise a few from their posts, but had no idea it was in the thousands, let alone 25K+.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Those are reports on the developing world. There is little overlap between those countries and tabletop RPGs.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
My immediate reaction is to be somewhat dubious about the age-range results. If google is looking at what else we do on the web to determine our age...well, gaming geeks just aren't normal that way.

Problem is, there's no over-arching "uber-general" forum in which to put a poll where most forum visitors will see it.

Hussar

Legend
My immediate reaction is to be somewhat dubious about the age-range results. If google is looking at what else we do on the web to determine our age...well, gaming geeks just aren't normal that way.

Problem is, there's no over-arching "uber-general" forum in which to put a poll where most forum visitors will see it.

Why do you doubt that? Every single poll done shows the same thing. Dungeon back when it was print published the same results. WotC said the same thing when 3e was being released.

Other than anecdotal, what evidence is there that gamers are not mostly under 35?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads