• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A quick question on opening a door

Antikinesis

First Post
mmu1 said:
There might be a lot of situations in which it'd be reasonable for a DM to rule that you can move, open a door and keep on moving, but by the rules, you can't. (unless 3E Haste comes into play)
Hmmm... Overrun? :D
Let's say Bruiser the Barbarian decides to charge and attack a square that's, oh, how about 15 feet on the other of a door that's 15 feet away. He decides to "overrun" the door.

If the door is open, it lets him pass unheeded. If it's closed, the door blocks him. Now it's a trip attack on the door. Inanimate object, so the touch attack succeeds, and all that's left is a strength check. (I think the door would probably use the break DC, and may qualify for a +4 stability bonus, seeing as how it's mounted on hinges. A big door might get a size modifier, too.)

If the strength check succeeds, the door is "tripped", and Bruiser can continue his charge. If it fails, I don't think a counter-trip by the door would make sense, so Bruiser just suffers the penalty for a failed overrun (bounces back 5 feet).

How deep into house-fules ( ;) ) territory have we traipsed on this little journey?

(At least I didn't ask about readying an action before opening the door! :eek: )

-AK

mmu1

First Post
Antikinesis said:
Hmmm... Overrun? :D
Let's say Bruiser the Barbarian decides to charge and attack a square that's, oh, how about 15 feet on the other of a door that's 15 feet away. He decides to "overrun" the door.

I was thinking more along the lines of letting someone who wants to move 5 feet, open a door, move another 5 feet, and then do something else just split his movement for the sake of keeping the action flowing... MEAs are such a broad category, sometimes certain things just don't make sense, like opening an unlocked door and walking 10 feet taking as much time as running 120 feet. It's just not all that interesting when your heroics are brought to a halt by a freakin' door.

Someone needs to make a game using action points...

maddman75

First Post
Technically, peeing yourself is only a MEA if it leaves a circle larger than 4" on your pants. Smaller circles are considered a 'dribble' and thus are a Free Action.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads