A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Boddynock

First Post
Tarag is himself a little discomfited when he realizes that he's misunderstood the mate so completely - and mis-called the Illusionist as well. Then he shrugs and says, "Night shift's fine by me ... and apologies to you, Sir Fimble."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
"Oh, none taken, none at all! Bardliness is a fine quality to have, if I do say so myself, and I'm flattered that you'd attribute such a quality to me, even by mistake." Fimble gives Tarag a most gracious bow.

The first mate chuckles and says, "Very good, very good! Now that these are settled, let us adjoin to the vessel, hmm?"

**FLASHFORWARD!!**

And now night falls.

The first mate is at the wheel, guiding the ship lazily, eyes ahead. A bullseye lantern points forward on the water, and another lantern hangs up in the crow's nest where a young man sits with his feet on the rail, probably asleep. The rest of the crew is sleeping, they're enjoying a nice break from rowing now that the wind is in their favor and there's no current working against them. On the return trip, it's the lake that will require their hard work, but for now, it's smooth sailing to Fallon.

The evening is quiet, the ripple of the water against the sides of the boat is soothing to your ears. The ship passes by few tiny islands, no more than large, mossy rocks really. It's difficult to make anything out, the moon is practically new, and the stars are the major contributors to light. The port and starboard sides of the ship have dim red and green flames, but they're meant only to signal to other vessels, not for giving light. Tarag's darkvision isn't much use for these long distances, but Fimble can see alright.

Then Fimble jumps up and whispers hoarsely to Tarag, "There's a ship navigating beyond that island ahead. Its lights are out, it's sailing stealth. I'm pretty sure it's going to intercept us up there."

Wik

First Post
OOC: A little late now, but I approve Solange's watch proposal!

Galwynn spends most of his time in his berth, tossing and turning on the bed. Who knew that ship-bourne travel was so unsettling on the stomach? Several times, he finds himself about ready to empty his stomach - but his deep sense of pride (read: not giving keldar any more ammunition) prevents this from happening.

Nevertheless, Galwynn spends much of his time a sickly shade of green, and all of you catch him staring out at the land wistfully when he thinks no one is looking. In the short time he's been on the ship, Galwynn has ate very little, and slept fitfully.

At the time of Tarag's watch, Galwynn is lying in his bed, covered in a sheen of sweat, dreaming of the day when he can finally set foot on land and vomit in privacy.

Boddynock

First Post
"How long 'til we close with them?" Tarag whispers.

If it seems there's time to rouse the others quietly, he'll nudge the nearest sailor and send him downstairs with orders to wake the rest of the party, then move up to advise the mate. If the pirates will be on top of them in short order, he slams his shield against the deck to produce a satisfying booming, meanwhile hollering at the top of his (not inconsiderable) voice, "Ware! Pirates ahoy!". He then prepares to cast Bless as soon as his allies are within range of the spell.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
"Yes, yes I think there's time. A few minutes."

The nearest sailor is snoozing in the crow's nest. The only people on the deck are Fimble and Tarag, with the first mate at the wheel.

Boddynock

First Post
"Fimble, you're quieter than I am. Go down below and wake our companions. Tell them to prepare for battle - quietly. I'll go and warn the mate."

Tarag then strolls over to the mate. (No need to alarm any watcher unnecessarily.)

"We have a few minutes before a ship sailing without lights behind that island there intercepts us. I have sent Fimble below to rouse my companions. If we allow them to close, we can give them a surprise as they attempt to board - or we can stand off and try to discourage them, although my companions are not expert at fighting at a distance."

"The third option is that we try to outrun them - although that is in your hands rather than ours."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Fimble nods and zips down to the group's private cabin. He wakes everybody up with a rough shake. He says, "Get up, get your combat gear, there be pirates on the horizon! Galwynn, there should be enough time to get your armor on, if you get out of bed right now!" Fimble's weasel squeaks excitedly.

The first mate's eyes grow wide. He listens to Tarag's suggestions and says, "The captain must needs be wake upped, as well as the whole crews. We stand to have better chance when many crews are here, I thinks. This old girl will never win races versus a pirate ship, unless... We could row, and mayhaps we loses them that way. What says you?"

Boddynock

First Post
Tarag would rather close with the pirates and deal with them face to face but recognizes that it might save lives if they can outrun them. Still, once they run they lose any opportunity of counter-surprise. He hesitates before answering.

[sblock=OOC]I'd rather not make this call on my own. What chance do we have of dealing with them at a distance? And what would the rest of you prefer to do?[/sblock]

Wik

First Post
Galwynn, of course, is sleeping lightly. He rolls over, looks at Fimble blearily, and then seems to snap to attention. "Wake the thief next. And don't give him a chance to speak."

Then, quickly crouched on the floor, Galwynn begins to strap on his armour. When he lurches to his feet, he pauses, catches his breath, and spits on the floor as a simple way to settle his stomach.

Grabbing his scabbarded blade, Galwynn heads towards the hatch, and makes his way to the deck. "Halina, prevent blood from spilling tonight, and guide my arm in the name of truth, honour, and life."

[sblock=ooc]
Personally, I want there to be a fight. But, Galwynn probably doesn't. Too bad for him.

But, yeah, let's in character try to prevent a fight from happening, but do everything we can out of character to kill those pirate bastards.

:)

[/sblock]

Remove ads