A Rose In The Wind: A Saga of the Halmae -- Updated June 19, 2014

ellinor

Explorer
36x03

“Either we have walked into the past,” Twiggy suggested, “or you have walked into the future.”

“Or you are spies sent here to trick us.” Tomahura said. “We captured your confederate.”

Our what? Nyoko thought. She saw her comrades looking equally confused. “Please describe this person, so I may Witness it,” she said, improvising.

“Male. Human. Heathen. What more is there to describe? He is your confederate, after all.”

“Lieutenant Commander Tomahura-san, we seek parlay with Adept Wazani,” declared Twiggy. “Under Provision Seventy-Nine of the Most Noble and Holy Codex Governing All Matters of Combat and Opposition.”

Nyoko recognized the name of the Adept that served the first expedition to Sheh lands, and recognized the provision: a historical procedure for negotiating a truce among hostile forces. Nyoko had never heard a tale in which it had been invoked. After all, when hostile forces encountered the Sovereign military, they (a) seldom lasted long enough to invoke anything, and (b) weren’t familiar with obscure Sovereign military procedure. And it made even less sense for the victor to invoke the provision to its bound captive.

It doesn’t make sense, Nyoko thought, but perhaps it will help us find some answers.

Tomahura looked uncomfortable. The idea of a heathen citing Sovereign military code was clearly a departure for her, as well. But after some consideration, she nodded. “If you unbind me and my men, we will honor your parlay.” Twiggy gave a shallow bow in return. Tavi and Kormick untied the Sovereign forces, some of whom grumbled, but all of whom honored the truce.

“Ho-kay,” Kormick said, “where to, Lieutenant…san?”

“It is nearly dusk,” Tomahura said, “and we will not make it to our main garrison by dark. We will camp here and set out at dawn.”

Savina leaned and whispered to Kormick, “—after dawn prayers.” Kormick nodded discreetly.

The parties made camp. At midnight, Lieutenant Tomahura began a simple military prayer. It was of an old style, but Nyoko could follow it, and joined in.

Suddenly, a flash of light burst over a stand of trees in the distance. Then another. “That’s our garrison!” one of the soldiers gasped.

“What have you done?” asked a pikeman.

“Us?” asked Tavi. “Nothing! We’re here with you! What do you think…” The blasts continued. Sparks rose above the trees.

“What’s happening?” Twiggy asked. A loud THUMP sounded in the distance, and the earth shuddered.

“I do not know,” replied one of the soldiers. “But we must return to help our garrison…” he turned to run—

And then he was gone.

All the soldiers were gone. Marshal Tomahura was gone. The fire was gone.

No, Nyoko realized, glimpsing the embers just behind her…no, the fire had only moved.

Everything had moved, Nyoko realized. The whole party had moved. They were in the shelter of a small shale cliff, on a patch of sharp, black, dagger-like grass surrounded by scrubby pines.

Nyoko would have sworn it was a case of déjà-vu… only Adepts did not experience déjà-vu. She really was seeing the same thing again.

They hadn’t just moved. They had returned to their campsite from the night before.

“Have we gone back in time?” Tavi asked.

“No,” Twiggy said, “that can’t be. We were here last night. If we had gone back in time, we would see ourselves from last night.” Twiggy paused. “And that’s if going back in time were possible. Which it’s not.”

“Maybe we’ve just been teleported,” Kormick said.

But it’s exactly the same as last night, thought Nyoko. A teleport wouldn’t do that.

“It’s as if time has been reversed,” Savina offered. “There were explosions in the direction of the Sovereign camp. Could the First Expedition have somehow turned back time to save their own lives?”

“I can’t begin to imagine how,” Twiggy said, but Nyoko could see her analytical brain beginning to try to imagine how.

“The orderly march of time is Kettenek’s law,” Nyoko frowned inwardly. Even if it were possible for the First Expedition to have turned back time, doing so would mean they had strayed as far from Sovereign doctrine as they had from Sovereign civilization. Given that they seemed otherwise committed to tradition, she felt this was unlikely.

Or maybe she just hoped it was unlikely…

“Regardless, we need to figure out what’s happening,” Mena said. “We know we’re back where we were last night, and we know where the Sovereigns ambushed us. Maybe the Sovereigns are back where they were last night. Maybe not. But if time has somehow turned backward, then tomorrow should be just like today. And if it is, then maybe the Sovereigns will be at the same ambush site at the same time tomorrow. If we go there, maybe we’ll learn something about what’s going on. If we leave now, maybe we can even get the jump on Tomahura and her troops.”

“That’s a lot of maybes,” Twiggy noted. “Here’s another. If all that happens, maybe Tomahura won’t remember us, and we can make an—um, a different first impression.”

“And who is this so-called confederate of ours they claim to have captured?” Tavi asked. “What if it’s one of us, from the future? We should stick together, and not send anyone ahead to scout.”

They resolved to set out together into the night toward the gully where they had encountered Lieutenant Tomahura.

As they broke camp, Kormick ripped a leaf from his notebook, drew a smiley face on it, and slid it under a rock. “As an experiment,” he explained.

###

By noon, Twiggy was exhausted. She’d stayed alert through the night, lighting the way for the party, and heaved a sigh of relief when they reached the spot where they’d encountered Tomahura. “Rest,” Savina recommended. “Others will keep watch.” The group hid themselves, and hid their holy symbols and ceremonial weapons in their packs. For hours, they traded watch. Twiggy tried to nap, but couldn’t. The waiting was too tense.

Late in the afternoon, Arden spotted movement—Lieutenant Tomahura’s ambush party, the same as the previous day. Twiggy shook off her exhaustion and crouched behind a small bluff with the rest of the group.

“So the murder-slave goes first, then Mena and I…” Kormick whispered, coiling his muscles for an ambush. “Tavi, you take up the—”

“I have another way,” Nyoko interjected. “Wait here.” Kormick stayed coiled, but stayed still.

“Hail, Lieutenant Commander Tomahura Anaya-san!” Nyoko announced, striding out. “I am Nyoko, Adept of Cauldron.”

Tomahura jumped in surprise. Then she looked confused. “An Adept? …From Cauldron?” Clearly, Nyoko was not what Tomahura expected. “You are far from home,” she observed.

“I and my company are here to find you,” Nyoko explained. “To learn of your progress and share the Witness of Adept Wazani. And I bear an urgent message for the Grand Marshal.”

Tomahura gave a small bow. “Welcome to this corner of the Ketkath. What is your message?”

“I’m afraid it’s for the ears of the Grand Marshal himself,” Nyoko insisted.

Tomahura hesitated, but nodded. “Then…I will bring you to our camp.”

“I am not alone,” Nyoko said. “And if you will permit me to make a strange request, I wish safe passage for my friends. They may seem unconventional, but I assure you they are allies, and essential to my Witness.”

“You have my word,” Tomahura said, puzzled but agreeable. “They will not be harmed.”

Kormick slid his warhammer back into his belt. The party emerged from behind the bluff.

Tomahura’s group reacted with visible discomfort. Twiggy heard more than one whisper something about “heathens,” but they held their fire.

“Well, that went better,” Twiggy whispered to Arden, as the group set out.

“Let’s hope it stays that way,” Arden whispered back.

Together, the party and Tomahura’s troops hiked toward the Sovereigns’ main camp. “It must feel like you’ve been on the road forever,” Twiggy offered some small talk to one of the soldiers, trying to gauge their knowledge.

“It’s only been a couple of weeks,” the soldier replied gruffly. “We’re trained to be away for much longer.”

“Seen any Sheh yet?” Twiggy changed the subject.

“Nope,” the man replied.

He’s not much of a conversationalist, Acorn huffed.

“What brought you out to where you found us?” Twiggy asked.

“Patrol,” he said. “Scouts caught us a Heathen spy.”

“Wow! Where?”

“Dunno. Woods, I guess,” the soldier replied.

“And what did this spy look like?”

“You Heathens all look the same to me. Anyway, I didn’t see him.”

“What did the scouts do with him?” Twiggy asked.

“How should I know?” The soldier replied. Twiggy thought she heard and why are you asking so many questions? in his tone. It was a tone she’d become accustomed to, over the years. She quit the interrogation while she was ahead. From there, they walked in silence.

The walk was long. Hours long, and boring. Twiggy recited formulae to herself to stay moving. She played a game of Go in her head. She counted new species of wildlife. Eleven. Twelve. By the time they reached the main camp, it had been dark for hours. She was sore everywhere.

Chelesta, it’s huge! And so orderly! Acorn cheered when they arrived at the moonlit garrison. He was right—there were dozens of tents in precise rows, housing probably 500 Sovereign troops.

More importantly, Twiggy thought, we get to sit down. The group was ushered into a tent with a woven mat on the ground and a low table in its center. Twiggy sat on the mat with relief. Tomahura left to tell the expedition’s Grand Marshal of their arrival, leaving armed guards outside the tent. Twiggy wasn’t sure whether the guards were there to keep them in, or others out, but she was too tired to give it much thought. It must be almost midnight, Twiggy thought, and we didn’t sleep at all last night . . .

Suddenly, the earth shuddered. A guard screamed. And a massive explosion rocked the tent.

ellinor

Explorer
Thanks, Falkus! Yes, spooky is right. Here we are, trying to closely-time our exploration in the wilderness so we get back to Divine Mark in time to catch the Lord High Regent's final words, and we have *no idea* what's happening with time.

Glad you're enjoying it!

StevenAC

Explorer
Here we are, trying to closely-time our exploration in the wilderness so we get back to Divine Mark in time to catch the Lord High Regent's final words, and we have *no idea* what's happening with time.
What a rat-bastardly DM move. I love it. :D

Also, I've now finally updated the collected Story Hour, taking the story up to the end of session 35. Enjoy another 50 pages of Sovereign goodness... :)

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Many thanks, StevenAC! We really, really appreciate your compilation efforts.
Indeed, StevenAC, you have no idea how valuable those compilations have become. You'll start to have an inkling in about 24 Sessions, though... :)

'scuse me. I'm off to do some reading before tomorrow's game.

StevenAC

Explorer
Indeed, StevenAC, you have no idea how valuable those compilations have become. You'll start to have an inkling in about 24 Sessions, though... :)
I'm intrigued. And I can't wait to find out whether I've helped our heroes or inadvertently made life more... interesting... for them. :heh:

I am delighted to hear, though, that there's so much more Halmae goodness to come.

Ilex

First Post
I'm intrigued. And I can't wait to find out whether I've helped our heroes or inadvertently made life more... interesting... for them. :heh:

You have done both. Fajitas is not the only one... er... researching in the archives these days, although he may be the instigator. And it is REALLY AMAZING AND DELIGHTFUL to have those archives in searchable PDF form! THANK YOU!

ellinor

Explorer
37x01

The walls of the tent shuddered. The tent flap flew open with a massive blast of hot air, stones, and dirt. Twiggy heard shouts and screams outside. No sleep after all, she thought, and rubbed her eyes awake.

Kormick leaned out of the tent and addressed one of the guards. “So, next time an Adept tells you she has an urgent message for your commanding officer—OW!”

Kormick jumped back inside the tent. There was blood on his face. “It’s the guard’s blood,” he said, as he wiped his face clean with his sleeve. “It is really not good out there.”

“Not so good in here, either,” Tavi said, as something tore a gash in the side of the tent.

“These prisoners want to see the Grand Marshal?” asked a young-sounding voice from outside.

“So they say,” replied the remaining guard. "But we cannot allow that. They could be behind this attack. They could be spies. Or worse.”

“Worse? Nature itself is attacking us,” said the young man as he pulled the tent flap open. His hair was neatly cropped and he wore the uniform of some sort of military clerk. “You! Heathens!” He said. “What is your business in this garrison?”

“We would be happy to answer your questions,” Tavi said, “But this is not the time or place. We need to speak with the Grand Marshal. We wish you no harm.”

“And it’s not as if holding us in a tent is keeping things particularly safe,” Kormick pointed out. A shower of rocks pounded the torn canvas wall. A sharp stone flew through a gash in the tent, barely missing the young Sovereign clerk’s face.

The young man flinched and then sucked down a huge breath, as if holding it in would stop the world from ending. It didn’t. “I suppose it can’t make things any worse,” he sighed. He waved the group out of the tent and pointed toward the middle of the encampment. “The Grand Marshal’s tent is this way.”

Twiggy grasped her orb and ran with the rest of the group, dodging hazards as they went. The entire camp was in chaos. Enormous balls of flame erupted in what seemed like random spots, setting tents and soldiers ablaze. A few feet away, the earth seemed to open and swallow a guard whole. Twiggy ran through her combat catalogue. She was the one who made balls of fire and holes in the ground, not the one who faced them. If another spellcaster was making them, she could attack that person . . . but as she tried to follow the magic with her mind, it fizzled out. It was too far away. It must be coming from somewhere outside the camp. Attacking from a distance would take an immense amount of power. And there was nothing they could do to stop it. They could barely even defend themselves.

Twiggy felt helpless. And more desperate than ever for answers.

Barbed vines sprang from the ground and whipped along the ground. One caught Tavi’s foot. He slashed himself free with his sword and continued running. The guard had been right. It was as if nature itself was attacking them.

“Where is Adept Wazani?” Nyoko asked as they ran.

“With the Lord Marshal, probably,” replied the young functionary. A clot of dirt and rocks hit him in the neck and he yowled in pain. “Or with the Prime Inquisitor. That’s the next tent over.”

Another crash sounded behind them. Twiggy turned to look. The tent they’d been inside a moment ago was engulfed in flame.

A swarm of birds and bats dove at the group, clawing, scratching at Tavi and Kormick. One caught Arden’s hair in its talons. Arden winced and grasped her head as a lock of red flew away. A bear—larger than Twiggy’d imagined bears could be, even in the Ketkath, appeared as if from nowhere. Its black, shiny fur glistened in the moonlight. It might even have been beautiful if not for—wow, those claws were huge.

An enormous paw swung by, missing Twiggy’s head by inches. It RAKED Nyoko and Arden. Twiggy winced in sympathetic pain. Blood soaked through the back of Arden’s cloak.

They’d barely gotten 30 feet. It was going to be a long way to the Grand Marshal’s tent. Which might not even be there by the time we—Twiggy tripped. A hole had opened beneath her.

Suddenly, everything was black. Twiggy opened her mouth to gasp for breath, but there was no air. Only dirt. Dirt in her nose. Dirt in her mouth. Dirt in her eyes.

THUMP. A dampened noise from above. Twiggy couldn’t move. She had to telepor--

And then she could breathe. She was lying on the ground, next to where the hole had opened. She hadn’t had time to activate her fey step, but something in her subconscious had activated the teleportation powers of the magical cloak she’d been given. She gulped a deep breath. Her lungs burned. Mena helped her scrabble to her feet, and together they ran.

In the seconds she’d been under, Tavi, Kormick, and Nyoko had run ahead of the others, and were batting at swarms of birds and bats. They were covered in scratches and scrapes. Tavi was bleeding visibly. A blast of fire erupted behind them, a blessing and a curse—it drove off the swarm, but set Kormick and Nyoko’s clothes aflame.

The ground in front of Twiggy and Mena erupted. Rocks and dirt flew everywhere. A sharp rock hit Mena in the face, opening a gash under her eye. She stopped. But just behind them was that enormous bear, lumbering forward, slashing. Savina said a prayer, and a shaft of light seemed to pierce the bear. It roared and reared back, but not before raking Arden with its claws once more. Arden staggered forward. She was very, very hurt.

Kormick fell back to help Rose and Savina, but suddenly a yellow cloud appeared around them. They grasped at their throats, choking, coughing. It looked like some sort of pollen, Twiggy thought, but there was no flower nearby to release it. Kormick hacked up a handful of phlegm and spores.

“Go!” he croaked, and pulled a tanglefoot bag from his belt. He threw it at the bear. Wonder of wonders, it worked—the bear stumbled comically and fell on its side—but the group couldn’t get very far from its reach. Tavi and Nyoko were ahead of the group, batting at vines and roots and picking off swarms, respectively. Arden was stumbling along root-choked ground. Rose and Savina were coughing like mad. Mena could barely see. “I’ve got you, Dame Mena,” Kormick said, and clapped his arm around her back.

Twiggy surged ahead toward Tavi and Nyoko. It had taken less a minute for nature to nearly destroy their group. Twiggy felt a combination of despair and desperation. Something was happening with time. The previous day, they’d been sent back to their camp right about now. If that didn’t happen again tonight, they’d probably all die. And Twiggy really didn’t want to die before she got those answers. If they could just reach that tent …

###

Tavi burst into the tent. For a split second, he felt like he’d reached safety—before remembering that the tent’s fabric walls were utterly useless against the onslaught. He wished he had time. But he knew he didn’t. Twiggy ran into the tent just behind him, breathing heavily. Tavi composed himself. Before them stood a man in exquisite Sovereign military armor. The Grand Marshal, no doubt. He was flanked by two soldiers with halberds. The man’s katana was raised defensively.

Tavi began. “I—”

The Grand Marshal swung his katana. A flash of light sprang from its blade, slicing Tavi’s cloak. Twiggy took a step backward. One of the guards shoved her out of the tent. This was not how Tavi wanted things to go. Not at all.

“I am not your enemy!” Tavi yelled, more energetically than he’d planned. He kneeled, stabbed his sword into the ground, held up his wakizashi, and calmed his voice. “I am here to find out what’s happening and to provide what aid I may.”

The Grand Marshal lowered his katana, but did not sheathe it.

“You are a heathen spy. We have captured your confederate. You are behind this.”

“No,” Tavi said. “I have no idea who you’ve captured, but whoever it is, he is not my confererate. I and my friends, including an Adept, have come from Divine Mark to learn what became of your expedition.”

Nyoko should be in here, Tavi thought. She was right behind me a second ago. Why isn’t she in here?

“What has become of this expedition,” said the Grand Marshal, “demands my full attention. Whatever it is, we cannot remain in this camp. You said you’re here to provide aid. Are you any good with that sword?”

###

“I’ve got you.” Mena felt Kormick’s arms pulling her up from behind. She wiped her eye. It hurt. Everything was blurry, clouded red from blood. A swarm of birds whooshed by. Kormick let go of her to deal with them. Tavi and Twiggy were a few yards ahead. Nyoko was—

A sinkhole opened just in front of her. Right where Nyoko was. Nyoko flailed for balance, and almost managed to dance atop the dirt, but gravity took over. She fell in and was engulfed up to her chest. Dirt and rocks closed in around her, as if they had a will of their own. As if they wanted to squeeze the breath from Nyoko’s lungs. “Help!” Nyoko let out a strangled cry, and then her chin dropped. She was unconscious.

Arden crawled toward the hole as if to help, but she had already lost too much blood. She fell limp before even reaching Nyoko’s hands.

Mena tried to help both, but realized that Nyoko’s situation was more urgent. Arden was losing blood, but in a moment, Nyoko would suffocate to death. Kormick grabbed Nyoko under the arms and pulled, but the ground was soft beneath him. Mena steadied him as he tried a second time, and together they got Nyoko out of the ground. She was barely breathing. “Come on!” Mena yelled in exasperation. “Wake up!” She shook Nyoko’s shoulders and called upon her inspiring word.. “We pulled you out of the ground, what more do you want?” Nyoko’s eyes blinked open, but she could barely move.

Mena looked ahead to the others. Twiggy was wrestling with roots just outside the Grand Marshal’s tent. Rose was cowering as birds pecked at her cloak. Savina was running toward Arden . . .

And Arden wasn’t breathing.

“Retreat!” called an unfamiliar voice. “Evacuate!”

Kormick was on one knee, gripping a bloody gash in his side. Mena rushed toward him to help, but a root seized her ankle and held on. She tried to keep moving but it yanked her backward. She fell. She pushed herself up and tried to crawl toward Kormick. Just a few more feet . . .

Suddenly, there were flames everywhere. Savina screamed. Mena’s eye throbbed. Everything was red. She couldn’t see Kormick. Her armor was hot. Her hands were hot. She was on fire.

So this is how it ends, she thought. On fire, watching all the people I love die in a fire.

She heard crackling. More fire.

But it wasn’t hot. She opened her eyes. They were in their camp from the night before, the spiky grass underfoot, the campfire happily crackling away. The campfire: a distant cousin of fire.

Arden was on the ground beside her. She opened her eyes and muttered something. “The
Justicar. The Justicar…” She was alive. Breathing.

Kormick was kneeling, looking down at Mena’s face. Mena sat up, grabbed the lapels of his coat, pulled his face close, and kissed him, hard. His lips were salty.

“The next one you earn,” she said.

Remove ads