• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Rose In The Wind: A Saga of the Halmae -- Updated June 19, 2014

Ilex

First Post
27x04

Special thanks to spyscribe and Jenber for their comments on and contributions to the Nyoko and Mena sections, respectively...

Nyoko had heard the music of the Dance of the Seven-Fold Secrets in rehearsal, of course, but as she raised her right leg in the achingly slow and beautiful first gesture of the dance, she experienced a second of doubt—where is the rhythm? Everything about this performance was so unusual: the music itself, the heavy incense, her costume, and the fact only half her audience was watching; the other half was preoccupied with other pursuits. Lord Tanaka was in the front row, his eyes studying one of her more obscure tattoos, deliberately revealed by Nyoko’s costume as she moved her weight from heel to toe. Next to him was Unsuku, leaning forward with a smirk, as hungry for a mistake as Tanaka was for delight.

Unsuku's expression fired Nyoko with a flare of competitive fever. With that heat racing through her, her leg reached the top of its arch and she slid into the rhythm of the music and knew that she owned it. She owned the rhythm, the music, and each caress, curve, and sinuous spin of the Seven-Fold Secrets themselves.

As she stretched luxuriously into the dance's final posture, she knew she owned her audience, too.

She stepped off the stage amid a roar of appreciation. Lord Tanaka was waiting for her, his eyes almost feral. Unsuku was at his right side, and Mena had materialized—in her role as Nyoko’s bodyguard—at his left.

"I taught her everything she knows," Unsuku was saying. "But not everything I know."

Nyoko wasn't sure if she was glad or sorry to see that Lord Tanaka didn't give a damn what Unsuku knew at that moment. He kept staring at Nyoko.

"I wonder," said Mena, "if a … private audience … is desirable?"

"Indeed," rumbled Tanaka.

Servants led them immediately to the back of the hall, drew aside draperies, and stepped away as they entered a small chamber beyond. Nyoko caught a glimpse of silk pillows and filigreed brass lamps before Lord Tanaka ripped off his outer robe and embraced her. His lips sought her lips, her neck, and Nyoko tried to keep her bearings.

She wasn’t an innocent. She knew what Lord Tanaka assumed would be the second movement of the dance. She also knew that she had only to leave the room, and he would not pursue her. But if she left, the heathens would lose their sole chance to speak with the Head of Lands. She tried shifting Lord Tanaka’s hand away from her breast. With a grin, he found somewhere else to put it.

Nyoko looked away, and her eyes met Mena’s.

A few days before, Nyoko had explained to Mena the many layers of conflict of interest recognized by the Adepts in their role as impartial witnesses. Near family, distant family, family by marriage, business associates, people who owed members of your family money, lovers… Finally Mena had cut to the chase: “You don’t want to have sex with him.”

“It’s more nuanced than that. Aside from the Adepts, I have no family. That means I have a very small sphere of conflicts, which makes me a versatile and useful witness. Lord Tanaka will create complications—”

“No sex with Lord Tanaka, got it. If you change your mind, let me know.”

"I counsel patience, my lord," came Mena's voice now. Lord Tanaka didn't seem to hear her, so Mena ripped him away from Nyoko and flung him back onto the pillows. He stared, wide-eyed, as Mena, Nyoko, and Unsuku stood over him… and then he grinned and flung his arms wide to the three of them. "Even better!" he roared.

Mena rolled her eyes.

"Lord Tanaka-san, we—we need to talk," said Nyoko, as gently as she could.

His eyes narrowed as he stared at her. Nyoko drew herself up with as much Adept authority as she could muster and announced, "We need to discuss a governmental matter of utmost importance and secrecy. Cauldron faces grave danger from the terrorists known as the Tide."

He sat up with a grunt and his eyes actually rose high enough to meet hers for the first time. "You're serious," he muttered. "This night, of all nights, you dare to interrupt my—" He began to rise angrily, but suddenly Unsuku was there, pulling him back down to the pillows, twining her arms around him, stroking his chest.

"We are serious, my lord," she murmured, "and we are most appalled that this interruption was required, and I promise you…" She lowered her voice to whisper in his ear. "When you've heard us out, there will be rewards…." Her voice grew too soft for Nyoko to hear, but she saw the blood spring into Tanaka's cheeks as he gazed, entranced, into Unsuku's eyes.

"Very well," he gasped. "Talk quickly…"

They did, explaining the threat posed by the Tide and the necessity of going the long way around the Circle to defeat it. Lord Tanaka's attention fell away from Unsuku—mostly—as he listened, and he sat up in surprise when they explained how much progress they'd already made.

"You conniving little…" he muttered, and Unsuku giggled and bit his earlobe playfully. Tanaka tangled a hand in her hair and pulled her in for a kiss. Mena turned away in annoyance. Then Tanaka turned his gaze back to Nyoko and demanded, with impressive cogency, "But what has this to do with me? Of course you need me, but why do I need you? The most important things to me are here, tonight, not in my office at Lands."

"And here is where they will strike," said Mena. "They are traditionalists. If they take power, they will sweep through Cauldron shutting down everything that doesn't accord with their austere Kettenite principles. Do you truly think your indulgence parties could continue under such a repressive regime?"

He looked thoughtful for the first time. Nyoko knelt in front of him, sensing an opening. "But if you side with us, and we win," she said softly, "you will have more power than ever before, and more freedom. You are already a great man, but you could be a hero…"

He looked at her, considering. Then he sighed. "Ah, you beautiful Adept," he said. "I couldn't resist you on the stage, and I cannot here. You have my support."

Nyoko bowed deeply where she knelt. "Thank you, Lord Tanaka-san," she said.

"And now, my lord, shall we … consummate the agreement?" asked Unsuku. Lord Tanaka laughed a deep rumbling laugh and pulled her on top of him.

"Right, we're done here," said Mena, and marched for the door. Nyoko, feeling eager for a breath of fresh air, rose quickly and followed.

###

Mena wanted to put as much distance between herself and that back room as possible, right now. She understood that Unsuku was willing—even that Unsuku was eager—to do whatever was now happening between her and Lord Tanaka. Unsuku desired professional advancement and considered this a means to that end. Mena hoped that she was also enjoying herself. Still, it felt faintly as if they had bought Tanaka's support with Unsuku's body, and—and Mena didn't care to picture what was happening in that room now. That was all.

She spotted Kormick across the room looking thoroughly entertained by the party around him, and she remembered Arden's words about him as they'd arrived. Arden and her silly romantic ideas. There is no “thing.” I would know if there was a “thing.” And anyway, Defiers don’t have “things.” That said, Kormick was an excellent ally if one wanted to not think about goings-on in back rooms. Mena marched straight up to him and barked, "Jan, get me a drink. Possibly also a bath. But first a drink."

Kormick took one look at her face.

Then he turned, punched the man next to him, grabbed his drink before it fell, and thrust the goblet into Mena's hands.

Mena tossed it back at a gulp, too flabbergasted to question what was in the cup.

It burned. It burned like fire.

And then—whoops, that was fast—the room began to twist around on itself in lovely, funny ways, and Jan Kormick laughed at her, caught her with one strong arm, and nearly tipped them both over. Mena burst out laughing. She felt off-balance, and Jan’s hand at her waist was warm and...distracting. She leaned into him, steadying them both, but a tiny voice in her mind was crying dangerous, dangerous, so dangerous... Mena failed to entirely resist the unfamiliar urge to see if she could fit more closely under Jan’s arm. When did I start thinking of him as “Jan?” I should really let go now. I’m sure we can stand on our own. Maybe in just a minute.

Twiggy came hurrying up, Arden gliding behind her. "Did you talk to Tanaka? How did it go?"

"Oh, it went," said Mena. Twiggy was such a good girl. Always responsible. She patted Twiggy on the arm. "All's good. Yup, all done. Good job." Is Arden smirking? Better rectify that.. She pointed at Arden. "I. Am. Not. Having. Any. Fun."

Arden grinned. "Why not?" she said, glancing to Jan and back. Mena felt an excited flicker inside her that was more than just the drink, and instantly the small voice at the back of her head started in again. Don’t be an idiot. You’re not supposed to do this sort of thing. But Arden seemed unconcerned, and Arden was usually right about when to be concerned. So maybe . . . Mena set the big question aside. This was an indulgence party. Flirting was expected, even if only for the sake of appearances. She let her head tip back. Jan’s chest was there, behind her head, holding it up.

"The only thing worse than a murder slave," pronounced Jan, slurring his words ever so slightly, "is a sober murder slave. Let's get you one of these things Mena drank—when the fairies kick in, they're fantastic—" He moved as if to let go of Mena and punch somebody else, but Mena held him back. She needed him—or more terrifyingly, she wanted him—to stay close—just for a minute. And Arden was waving him off anyway.

At the back of Mena's mind, the tiny voice whispered icily, You’re making a fool of yourself. Arden likes to joke, but has Kormick ever given you any real reason to think he’d have sought you out if you hadn’t found him first? That’s not what you’re good for, Defier.

"Well, if everything's going so well…" Twiggy said, and Mena saw that Twiggy had a object in her hands, a little pearl-like pill, sparkling with enchantment. She was fingering it carefully.

"What's that?" Mena asked.

"Something… outside the rules," Twiggy said. "It's supposed to let you set aside logic, rationality…"

"Welcome to my life," said Jan. "Rational, honest corruption until it becomes apocalyptically insane. But this is a good party."

They all watched with interest as Twiggy took a deep breath, placed the pill carefully on her tongue, and then swallowed.

There was a slight pop, and Twiggy—vanished.

Arden gasped. Mena blinked. "Huh," said Jan. "Must be a trick of the candles."

"And the drinking," Mena suggested.

"I don't think so," said Arden. "I think she teleported."

“That’s what she does when she’s free from logic? She teleports?” Jan asked.

“I think,” Arden said very patiently, “the worrisome part is where she teleported to and what she’s going to do there…”

Mena turned around in Jan's arms until she was staring at the wall behind her. Jan looked, too. No sign of Twiggy there. "Students need freedom to explore," Mena told the wall. She saw Jan nodding agreement out of the corner of her eye. "So do teachers. It is a part of life." With that, the voice in Mena's head finally faded away into the raucous sounds of the party. Good. Tomorrow she would go back to being responsible and not having "things" with people and forgetting how Jan's hand felt as it held her steady. Tomorrow she'd forget all this and a few indulgent hours wouldn't have made a difference.

The wall leaned out to embrace her—no, that was Jan, warm and alive… much better than a wall…

"Gods!" yelped Arden, as if she'd been stung. Mena whirled back guiltily, reeled, and straightened in time to see Arden reach down and grab something off her ankle. It was a wriggling, panicked mouse: Acorn.

Ilex

First Post
27x05

A belated happy birthday to Fajitas and, by extension, to this story hour! And a (nearly) belated happy Leap Day!

Acorn was now sinking his tiny teeth into Arden's fingers, and she was surprised how much it hurt. The little mouse was no Ketkath rat, but he wasn't joking around, either: he was drawing blood. Arden held him up in front of her face, wondering if he could understand her speech.

"I will find her," she said. "Calm down."

Acorn stared at her straight in the eye for a moment, then turned his head and chomped through the flesh at the base of her thumb. Arden fought the urge to fling him across the room and, instead, turned back to Kormick and Mena.

"We need to start a search," she said through gritted teeth.

"Yes," said Mena, still drunk (at best) from whatever drink it was she had downed. "End the bad guys. Stabbity stab."

"Thud," added Kormick, with a hammering gesture.

"None of that yet," said Arden. "First we—" She broke off. Kormick and Mena had begun staring deeply into each other's eyes. "Never mind," said Arden, and turned away, scanning the room for Nyoko. The Adept was nowhere to be seen, but Tavi was still sitting near the stage, barely visible in a crowd of women and a couple of men.

Arden marched over to the fringes of the crowd. "Signor Octavian!" she shouted. Tavi, ever dutiful, turned immediately and looked for the source of the voice. When he spotted her, he blinked out of sight and, before Arden had a chance to think Not another one, reappeared at her side.

"Seemed quicker," he said, waving off his teleportation. He was drunk and shirtless, but he did a fairly good job of focusing on her. "What's wrong?"

"Twiggy's missing. She took a drug, teleported somewhere—and now I have this." Arden held up Acorn, who promptly seized Tavi's chest hair in his tiny claws.

"Right," said Tavi, staring at the mouse.

"Signor, can Phoebe fly around and try to find her?" Arden asked, struggling to contain Acorn.

"Phoebe's … not flying very straight right at the moment," said Tavi.

Mena and Kormick strode up. "We had an idea," announced Mena. "Tavi, she's a very nice girl. We think you two would be very good together."

"Which one?" Tavi asked, just a hint of mischief in his eyes as he turned back to survey his crowd of followers. Behind his back, Mena winked meaningfully at Arden and Kormick soundlessly mouthed "It's you!" while pointing from Arden to Tavi with what he no doubt considered a subtle gesture.

"Tavi!" barked Arden. "I need you to go to each door and find out if Twiggy's left. Ask the bouncers. Hurry." Her commanding tone received a brisk nod from Tavi and he set off.

Before Mena and Kormick could say another word, Arden put a firm hand on Mena's shoulder. "You two stay right where she vanished," Arden told her. "She might come back to that point."

"We can do that," said Mena.

"After you, Dame Mena," said Kormick.

Alone with Acorn, Arden looked into the mouse's eyes once more. "Now we can search," she told him. She wove through the crowd to the room's nearest corner and began searching methodically, up and down, slowly crossing the room's length and breadth.

No Twiggy.

But Acorn seemed to respect her orderly progress. He settled down on her palm and watched intently.

As Arden made her final sweep down the far wall, wondering exactly what sights she was going to be exposed to if she had to start poking into all the curtained alcoves and back rooms next, Acorn suddenly gave a leap and a quiver in her hand. He stuck out his nose and sniffed urgently at one curtained doorway in particular.

Arden edged closer and twitched the curtain aside, just a little, to peer in.

With a sigh of relief, she saw that Twiggy was there—though she was mildly surprised at what Twiggy was doing. Not wanting to disturb her, Arden set Acorn down gently, watched him scurry over to his friend, and then let the curtain fall.

###

In another private room, Nyoko lay back against the bare chest of a handsome Adept samisen player and let him give her sips of wine from the goblet they were sharing. She took joy in the beauty of his fingers against the fragile glass—strong and sensitive, all at once.

Ah, truly, he was a skilled player.

###

Tavi was receiving a simultaneous back rub and foot rub from two different women—far more pleasant than those nightmare massages at the Adept House that he'd endured to win an invitation to this party—and he was lost in a warm comfort, nearly asleep. Tonight's mission was a success, Arden said she'd found Twiggy somewhere, and most importantly of all, Rose was safe in bed back at the Inn. Right at this exact moment, he had nothing that he needed to do.

And that was glorious.

###

Kormick picked himself up off the bar after another laughing fit to see Mena smiling at him with enormous drunken pride. He'd always been attracted to her fearsomeness and her rare flashes of grim humor. But he'd never known she could make him laugh until he couldn't breathe. She was, quite possibly, the perfect woman.

###

Arden found an unoccupied overstuffed cushion and nested herself into it with another glass of water, watching the swirling people around her. She felt good. In hindsight, she had overreacted to Twiggy's disappearance—the girl was perfectly safe—but she couldn't make herself regret it. Ordering around Tavi, Mena, and Kormick had been strangely satisfying. An indulgence party indeed, she thought, allowing herself a private smile. Tavi's relaxing, Mena's carefree, Twiggy's irrational … and I was in charge.

###

After many hours, the unceasing music twining through the party's rooms and alcoves gave way to a roll from a deep drum, and Lord Tanaka staggered to the center of the stage.

"I am told," he rumbled, "that it is dawn." Then he swayed once, twice, and fell with a thud like a fallen oak into an unmoving stupor.

The party was over.

Last edited:

Wilhem

First Post
Nooo! All caught up and now I have to wait for updates! What a great storyhour and clearly the result of a great DM and excellent players. Is Kormick going for the full set? A ketteneck Justiciar (dar und style) with an Allirian aura and potentially a Seddellan lover, just needs something Ekhtian to finish off!

Jenber

First Post
Nooo! All caught up and now I have to wait for updates! What a great storyhour and clearly the result of a great DM and excellent players. Is Kormick going for the full set? A ketteneck Justiciar (dar und style) with an Allirian aura and potentially a Seddellan lover, just needs something Ekhtian to finish off!

Actually, Mena is also Ehktian (she's telling the truth when she introduceS herself as Brother Spark--she was a Keeper before she was a Defier.) They have all four gods covered between them.

Referring to her as part of Kormick's "set," however, could be hazardous to one's health. :)

Wilhem

First Post
Actually, Mena is also Ehktian (she's telling the truth when she introduceS herself as Brother Spark--she was a Keeper before she was a Defier.) They have all four gods covered between them.

Referring to her as part of Kormick's "set," however, could be hazardous to one's health. :)

I had forgotten the Brother Spark bit, so I guess that makes it better as a pair, still it is amusing to picture Mena's expression of utter rage (boosted by the hissing of her armour) if she was to be referred to as completing the set. Plus i imagine that would probably appeal to Kormick for the few seconds he would have left to live!

Ilex

First Post
Thanks for the comments, everyone (and welcome to Wilhem and MTR)! Rughat: I, also, loved that Arden's idea of indulgence was ordering everyone around. It made me happy when I realized that in the session.

As ellinor says, we're dreaming big dreams of getting back to a regular weekly schedule, but work responsibilities keep getting in the way. So we'll keep posting whenever we can.

Also, jonrog1 ran Savage Worlds for us again last night (unrelated to Halmae), and Fajitas's character killed Mao Tse Tung in the middle of a giant battle. So, if you notice that you're suddenly living in another timeline where history has played out ... let's say somewhat differently, blame Fajitas.

Update follows...

Ilex

First Post
27x06

“So, how was last night?” Rose asked. It was a familiar question. For most of their lives, Twiggy and Rose had enjoyed the same morning ritual, recapping the doings of the night before in the servants’ quarters and family rooms, respectively, as Twiggy dressed Rose and styled her hair for the day ahead. Over the years, Twiggy had learned about Hennan politics, and fashion, and public works, and the pressures of society life. In recent months, their topics had broadened, but even here on the other side of the world, the ritual stood.

Twiggy picked up a silk ribbon to twine into Rose’s silver braid. “It was . . . good, I think.” Twiggy rocked her neck back and forth gently. She felt a freedom of movement she hadn’t recalled before, as if all of her muscles had sorted themselves out overnight. “To be honest, I don’t remember much of it. But I think I enjoyed it.”

Rose turned her head. “What do you mean, you don’t remember?”

“Hey, stay still,” Twiggy laughed. “I’m trying to braid. What I mean is, once we got Tanaka to agree, this woman came up to me and asked me the one thing I wanted most in the world. I said I wanted a break from thinking. And then she handed me this pill, and said it would let me experience that. She said it was safe. I guess I believed the bit Tanaka said at the beginning, about the party being a time without rules, and . . . I took it.”

“Risky,” Rose replied. “And what was it like?”

“I . . . well, good, I suppose. I can’t be sure what I did. I can only tell you what Arden told me. She said she found me curled up, asleep, with my head in the lap of someone who looked exactly like my mother.”

“So, unburdened by higher brain function, you went and found someone who looked like Aunt Mariela?” Rose laughed.

“No,” Twiggy replied, “apparently it wasn’t just a look-alike. I gather I found someone willing to become her. Not that that’s any better.” Twiggy paused for a long time, and tried to focus on the braid. “I do feel better, somehow, for having done it.” Twiggy tied the braid with a thin leather cord. “How was the—where did you say you went last night? A puppet show?”

Rose turned in her seat and her voice took a conspiratorial tone. “It wasn’t a puppet show.” She paused for effect. “Savina just told everyone that so I could have time alone with Taku.”

“Wait. What?” Twiggy stepped back. “I have questions. First: how long were you planning this?”

“A few days,” Rose said.

“So you lied to me? To us?”

“I never lied,” Rose replied, “I just didn’t tell the truth. But—yes, Savina lied. But for good reasons,” Rose continued. “We didn’t want you worrying about us. And anyway, everything turned out well.”

“I still wish you’d said something ahead of time.” Twiggy tried to brush off the deception; it hurt more than she wanted to admit. “But moving on. By ‘Taku,’ do you mean Uroki Takumi?” Twiggy remembered meeting a young Sovereign man with that name at one of the Peerage events. At the time, of course, he had been “Uroki-san.”

“Yes,” Rose blushed slightly.

“And by ‘time alone,’ you mean . . . time alone?”

“Yes,” Rose grinned. “And don’t worry. He knows I’ll have to leave, and he’s Sovereign, so there won’t be any family repercussions. But we had a lovely night together. We had dinner, and read poetry, and then we . . . and to be honest, I figured that whatever the Agent of Destruction has planned for me, I wanted to live a little first.”

Risky, Twiggy thought. “And it was good?” She asked.

“It was good,” Rose replied with a smile.

“Then I’m glad.”

###

Kormick eased his way into a chair in the common room, trying not to jostle his head. Across the room, Mena, Tavi, and Nyoko looked as hung-over as he felt. Even the teetotaler murder slave had the grace to look tired. Only Twiggy looked suspiciously perky.

Mena groaned. "I'm going outside to drill." She pushed back from the table and stalked toward the courtyard.

Savina and Rose walked in together, saw the group, and hurried over. "How did it go?" asked Savina. Working together, they gave her a disjointed but generally accurate summary of the evening.

"And you?" asked Kormick. "Did you have a nice night at your puppet show?"

Savina and Rose shared a glance. "We did," said Savina.

"Adorable," Kormick said, just as the innkeeper arrived with several mugs of his special hangover remedy. "Ah, good man, good man."

Unsuku flounced into the room and stood over the table proudly. "I stand ready to Witness your activities today," she declared.

"I trust you had a rewarding evening?" Nyoko asked.

"Very," said Unsuku. "And may I say, your performance was … creditable."

"I'm sure much of the credit goes to you."

Kormick was vaguely aware that this was one of those passive-aggressive Adept conversations in which every polite phrase carried some kind of egregious insult, but he couldn't be bothered to figure it all out.

"If I am not mistaken," he said to the table at large, "we have, at the cost of wonderful, terrible indulgence last night, successfully gone as far around the Circle as we can go. Borders, Military, the Peerage, and Lands are all with us, which means the Adepts will be with us, too. All that remains is to confront the Mother Superior, yes?"

"Not quite yet, I think,” suggested Twiggy, just as if her mind was clear and relaxed and not throbbing agonizingly in time to her heartbeat. "We need the whole Synod to agree with us if we’re going to pull this off. We can be pretty sure that Brother Burnout will go along with us. We know that the official Alirrian member of the Synod is just a figurehead and won't help, but the true leader of the Alirrians in Cauldron said she might, and she’d contact us when she had news. Given what happened to Sister Sweet Scent, we have work to do with the Sedellans. And—probably at the last minute—we should communicate with the Kettenite leader, Brother Ono Arato.”

"There's also the Tide, gentlefolk," added Arden. "We suspect that someone’s been leaking information to them from within the Inquisition, and we know someone fast-tracked the torture of Sister Sweet Scent just to make trouble. My Tide contact clearly thinks I'm good for little else than gloating to. We can't rely on my charade to do us much more good. I think it's time to identify exactly who, within the Inquisition, is causing us trouble."

"So: religious leaders and the Tide," said Kormick. "Let's get started. The sooner we begin, the sooner we can go back to bed."

Remove ads