• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A running list of questions from a new player/new DM. Other n00bs please feel free to add in.

soulcatcher78

First Post
Sneak Attack - either have advantage or the have an ally within 5' of the target (usually referred to as flanking). How you gain advantage is up for debate (attacking from hiding (stealth) being the most common but if your target is "blinded" or "stunned" you would also have advantage IIRC). Unlike previous editions the sneak attack does not rely entirely on you being hidden which allows a rogue to be much more effective in combat.

Overcautious players - you have to find a happy medium to keep the story moving forward. If they insist on checking each 10' square for traps or listening at every door you need to take that into account...use time limitations (chambers filling with water/sand/gas or a ritual that must be stopped within X turns of you arrival to the dungeon). While some may see this as you pushing them to make mistakes, it does add some dramatic tension to the game that cannot exist if they are rolling to check for traps, etc. every step of the way. On looking through a cracked door and maintaining stealth...are they using a light source that is greater than what is behind the door? If they are using a light source (silly humans) then how stealthy are they being? There are mechanical corrections for this type of behavior (you'll never surprise monsters who don't use light sources) but once they find out that what they're doing has consequences they will more than likely become more reasonable.

Libramarian

Adventurer
3. This is just a metagame question really. My players when going through dungeons have been really turtling through in a way that has been unnerving me a little bit. I frequently get stuff like I'm searching for anything of interest. I have since made them be more specific such as traps, doors, etc. But the one that has really gotten me in a quandary is they now want to crack open doors while maintaining stealth. Last night I told them I was not allowing it anymore as you can't stealthily open a door and look through it. I am considering just telling them that they cant see anything with just a crack in the door and they will have open it to look into the room. Anyhow for now I'm not allowing it but I want to come up with a better solution and I want some ideas.

The problem of over-cautious play tends to work itself out as the players play more and realize that the advantage gained is usually insignificant. They don't want the game to be slow and boring; they're just testing the waters from inexperience right now. They will play faster as the game becomes more predictable for them. Ideally your dungeons will be consistent and logical enough that they will (usually) be able to tell when they should play cautiously and when they can afford to kick down the doors. Basically you want extra-cautious play to give them a little bit of an advantage, but one that is not so important unless they're in a spot where they know they need every advantage they can get. For example, with regard to opening doors while maintaining stealth, I might give the players the surprise advantage, or negate their surprise if a monster is waiting in ambush, but not every time and usually only in situations where the advantage is not a big deal either way (like a dozing guard). I definitely would not allow the PCs to look around the room unobserved.

painted_klown

First Post
Ok all, I think I finally rolled up my first complete character a couple of days ago, and am now trying to learn exactly how combat works.

I think I understand the basics, please correct me, or fill in things I am missing. :)

1. Roll for initiative. This means everyone rolls a d20 + DEX Modifier. Then you order everyone from highest to lowest. Each monster group (of identical monsters) gets their own check.

2. Movement by speed. Each square = 5 ft. (or)

3. Attack. For attacking, the PC rolls a d20 + STR or DEX modifier (dependent on weapon type) + the appropriate proficiency modifier for the PCs level if the PC is proficient with the weapon being used. For example, a level 1 PC has a proficiency bonus of +2, so that will add to the total.

If that rolled total adds up to be equal to or greater than the monsters AC, then you hit and roll for damage.

Rolling for damage is done with the appropriate die for the weapon being used (d6, d8, etc), then you add the weapons ATK bonus to give you the total amount of damage the monster takes. If that damage is equal to or greater than the monsters remaining hit points, then the monster dies.

If not, then the monster gets to attack the PCs once it's their turn in the initiative order.

This is where I get lost. When the monster makes his attack roll, how do you figure out if he hits the PC?

I think it's a d20 + their STR modifier or DEX modifier (depending on type of attack)? Not sure on this...is it the +X "to hit" number?

To make this easy, I will use a Goblin from the free PDF:

Goblin
Small humanoid (goblinoid), neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (leather armor, shield)
Hit Points 7 (2d6)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
8 (−1) 14 (+2) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 8 (−1) 8 (−1)
Skills Stealth +6
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Nimble Escape. The goblin can take the Disengage or Hide
action as a bonus action on each of its turns.
Actions
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one
target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.
Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80/320 ft.,
one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.
Goblins are small, black-hearted humanoids that lair
in despoiled dungeons and other dismal settings.
Individually weak, they gather in large numbers to
torment other creatures.

So, if a goblin was attacking one of my PCs using his Scimitar, would that be a d20 + -1?

What does the "to hit" number represent? ie "Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit" or "Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit" for our goblin buddy.

Please help! I feel like an idiot, but I cannot figure this out. I have read the PDF over and over to try to get it, tried searching for the answer on youtube, google, etc.

As a new player, I think having a sample Character Sheet with a breakdown of all of the boxes, and how to fill them in, would be VERY nice. Honestly, I am not 100% confident that I have correctly rolled up my character.

I would also like to see a "how to read a stat block guide" of some sort. I think these two things would go a LONG way in helping to explain what we are looking at, when we are trying to determine "what is what".

Anyway, I appreciate all of your help so far, and I hope I am not making myself look like too big of an idiot. I just want to know what I am doing as we have our first game session scheduled, and as the DM, I will need to know what I am talking about. :)

Last edited:

Croesus

Adventurer
1. Roll for initiative. This means everyone rolls a d20 + DEX Modifier. Then you order everyone from highest to lowest. Each monster group (of identical monsters) gets their own check.

Keep in mind this is a Dexterity ability check, so if the character has a bonus or malus to ability checks, that applies.

2. Movement by speed. Each square = 5 ft. (or)

Typically, characters and creatures can take one action AND move their Speed during a turn. Movement can occur prior to the action, after the action, or both, so long as you don't move further than your Speed. Note, the Dash action effectively allows you to move double your Speed.

3. Attack. For attacking, the PC rolls a d20 + STR or DEX modifier (dependent on weapon type) + the appropriate proficiency modifier for the PCs level if the PC is proficient with the weapon being used. For example, a level 1 PC has a proficiency bonus of +2, so that will add to the total.

d20 + appropriate stat modifier + proficiency bonus.

Examples:
Melee weapon STR
Finesse melee weapon STR or DEX
Ranged weapon DEX
Cleric spell WIS (if attack roll required)
Wizard spell INT(if attack roll required)
Bard spell CHA (if attack roll required)

If that rolled total adds up to be equal to or greater than the monsters AC, then you hit and roll for damage.

Rolling for damage is done with the appropriate die for the weapon being used (d6, d8, etc), then you add the weapons ATK bonus to give you the total amount of damage the monster takes. If that damage is equal to or greater than the monsters remaining hit points, then the monster dies.

Damage is Weapon damage + stat Mod. Stat mod is not the same as ATK bonus, since ATK bonus usually includes your proficiency bonus, and damage typically does not.

If a weapon attack reduces the opponent to zero or lower hit points, the attacker can instead choose to have the attack knock the opponent out. Attacker makes this decision after finding out that the attack would kill the target. I don't believe attackers can choose this option when a spell drops the target, though the GM can always allow this, if desired.

If not, then the monster gets to attack the PCs once it's their turn in the initiative order.

This is where I get lost. When the monster makes his attack roll, how do you figure out if he hits the PC?

I think it's a d20 + their STR modifier or DEX modifier (depending on type of attack)? Not sure on this...is it the +X "to hit" number?

To make this easy, I will use a Goblin from the free PDF:

Goblin
Small humanoid (goblinoid), neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (leather armor, shield)
Hit Points 7 (2d6)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
8 (−1) 14 (+2) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 8 (−1) 8 (−1)
Skills Stealth +6
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Nimble Escape. The goblin can take the Disengage or Hide
action as a bonus action on each of its turns.

Actions
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one
target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.
Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80/320 ft.,
one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

Goblins are small, black-hearted humanoids that lair
in despoiled dungeons and other dismal settings.
Individually weak, they gather in large numbers to
torment other creatures.

So, if a goblin was attacking one of my PCs using his Scimitar, would that be a d20 + -1?

What does the "to hit" number represent? ie "Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit" or "Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit" for our goblin buddy.

The goblin would attack at +4. Creatures in the Monster Manual do not always follow the same guidelines as player characters, so simply use the info in the Action section. However, if the goblin were making an ability check, then use the mod by the relevant ability. For example, if attempting to grapple, it would use STR (-1) on the check.

I would also like to see a "how to read a stat block guide" of some sort. I think these two things would go a LONG way in helping to explain what we are looking at, when we are trying to determine "what is what".

Anyway, I appreciate all of your help so far, and I hope I am not making myself look like too big of an idiot. I just want to know what I am doing as we have our first game session scheduled, and as the DM, I will need to know what I am talking about. :)

I'd recommend pages 2-7 of the basic rules (the PDF that includes monsters, not the Players Basic Rules). It does a pretty good job of explaining the entire stat block for creatures.

Pickles JG

First Post
The goblin would attack at +4. Creatures in the Monster Manual do not always follow the same guidelines as player characters, so simply use the info in the Action section. However, if the goblin were making an ability check, then use the mod by the relevant ability. For example, if attempting to grapple, it would use STR (-1) on the check.
Note that in this case the goblin is using a finesse, weapon or a missile weapon and in either case uses his dex modifier for his to hit modifier and damage bonus. The rest of his, to hit bonus is +2 proficiency for being low level so +4 is +2 dex +2 proficiency.

As Croesus says these rules are not always followed for monsters but are >90% of the time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads