• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Sad and Expensive Story. PC or Console Tale

TBoarder

Explorer
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I started out as a PC guy in the late 90s, playing Unreal Tournement, Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex, and other amazing games that I could never appreciate fully because of the PCs rassin' frassin' keyboard & mouse control scheme. While I understand that the mouse IS more accurate than just about anything else, I hate hunching up to my desk, constantly accidentally shifting my fingers off of the WASD keys, losing my place...

The, I get my XBox, and Bioware puts out Knight of the Old republic on it, and I'm *thrilled*. I can relax on the sofa, don't have to worry about installing or patches, I only have to worry about my controller, and all I'm missing out on is... what? Higher res graphics and the ability to download mods, which I never d anyway? Nope, I'm pretty much *done* with PC gaming, except for any Bioware or Obsidian games that will come out exclusively for it. If they come out on XBox360 though, there's no choice in my eyes... like Edler Scrolls Oblivion, I'm getting the XB360 version.

KenM

Banned
Banned
This is one thing that worries me. Now that consoles are online, how long do you think it will be before some game company says "just ship the XBOX game as is and we'll have a patch in a few weeks after its in stores to make it playable."

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm a software guy. I can do my own hardware, but not as well or as cheaply as someone else. I upgrade off-the-shelf every 3-4 years. Fortunately, since I don't play many high-end games (Morrowind is the most taxing thing I own, and I hate RTS), when I get even a mid-range computer, it's still functional at that point.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
KenM said:
This is one thing that worries me. Now that consoles are online, how long do you think it will be before some game company says "just ship the XBOX game as is and we'll have a patch in a few weeks after its in stores to make it playable."

Console online gaming is still rare… I say we are about 4-5 years away from this.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Brother Shatterstone said:
It’s not much of a tale... I do it every few years, I usually go away from the PC when the new consoles come out and slowly work my way back to the PC. Except for this time... My PC upgrades is on hold right now.

I nearly hit 9600 for myself... ;) :lol: (and you've been a member two months longer than me... ;) )
But yeah, was lurking before that...I think:eek:

talwynor

First Post
PC Upgrade Hell

I took about the same upgrade route 6 months ago...sunk $400 into the 6800 gt (256 mb), bought another 512 stick of ram to bring me to a gig (forgot the price at the time...maybe a little over $100), bought a new volcano fan ($30 ?) to overclock my Athlon 2500XP to a 3200XP and LUCKED OUT with a friend whose company was ditching a 21 inch CRT monitor for free. So about $550 will get me through at least another year....I've swapped so many parts out of this bad boy that I think the case is the only orginal purchase item.

Half Life 2 and Doom3 are more than playable at high settings and WOW is great so I'm a happy camper.

KenM

Banned
Banned
The 6800 GT should be good for about 3 years. I just ordered a 1 GB stick of RAM from Newegg for 85 bucks. That will bring me to 1.5 GB RAM. I want BF2 to run as smooth as posible on my system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads