Level Up (A5E) A Scheme for Planar Resistances

xiphumor

Legend
The fact that there’s no neat correspondence between the elements and the damage types has long been an awkward point in D&D, and I’ve been thinking about the best way to arrange it.

As much as things like Water being resistant to something like Acid or Earth being resistant to Lightning makes sense, I think there’s something cleaner about having each element be resistant to what it’s most similar to. This is a fantasy game, after all, and planar energies might protect someone in non-scientific, more symbolic ways. What’s more, several items A5e (such as the Elemental Quiver and Rings of Elemental Command) already use this system, so I propose keeping things as follows:

Fire - Fire
Water - Cold
Earth - Acid
Air - Lightning

But what of the other four planes? Death - Necrotic is obvious, but I think I need to defend my choices for the other options.

Life - Poison. Radiant wouldn’t be horrible, but Poison is the closest thing we have to organic damage. Life is a distinctly corporeal phenomenon, and radiant can be reserved for the Upper Planes

Space - Force. Force is the most non-descript damage type we have, and you can flavor space as blunting the impact. There’s also a vague gravitational connotation to both.

Time - Psychic. Okay, hear me out. We tend to think of time as a physical phenomenon, but pre-Einstein, time was chiefly considered a thing observed and experienced by the mind. Memories are what allow the past to have continued existence, and rationality is what gives us access to a future that does not exist yet. The only thing I can think of that would be more fitting would be Dexterity saving throws, and that breaks the theme a bit.

What do you think?

Issue #0 of the Gatepass Gazette had some resistance affinities in the Construct Heritage write-up:

Air - thunder
Death - necrotic
Earth - lightning
Fire - fire
Life - radiant
Space - psychic
Time - force
Water - cold

I'd probably quibble with some of these, but there you are.

xiphumor

Legend
Issue #0 of the Gatepass Gazette had some resistance affinities in the Construct Heritage write-up:

Air - thunder
Death - necrotic
Earth - lightning
Fire - fire
Life - radiant
Space - psychic
Time - force
Water - cold

I'd probably quibble with some of these, but there you are.
But see… why should space have psychic resistance. That doesn’t make any sense to me.

I don't really like Space being linked to force damage either. Even though Radiant is mostly associated with positive energy and healing it's also light based and that seems most appropriate for space. That said it's also firmly in the grasp of Life so I understand moving towards force to prevent overlap.

Too bad there's no radiation damage.

Daraniya

Explorer
I don't really like Space being linked to force damage either. Even though Radiant is mostly associated with positive energy and healing it's also light based and that seems most appropriate for space. That said it's also firmly in the grasp of Life so I understand moving towards force to prevent overlap.

Too bad there's no radiation damage.
What does 'force damage' look like? Is it solidified air? Is it a boulder hurling towards a person/thing? A swipe of a tarrasque's fingernail? A simulacrum of Mjollnir? The ki/soul energy of a monk?
Seems like Earth->Force would be as likely... but what if the 'force' was manifest as a hailstorm? In the examples I've given, it could be from Earth, Water, Life, or Air...

Force is a hard 'something' that impacts without a pointed end or hard edge (slashing). What is a 'wall of force', does a 'wall of air' have force? it's a hard 'something' that blunts everything coming in contact with it. A monk's ki could be the power of their soul, and soulless beings/things cannot be affected by ki blunt attacks...

I think you can make it whatever you like... force is not an element, but a byproduct... an outcome.

Last edited:

I think you can make it whatever you like... force is not an element, but a byproduct... an outcome.
You absolutely could. Personally I tend to envision it as a type of magical construct (see the Bigby's Hand or Wall of Force effects) and you could definitely call it a byproduct of something.

That said when it comes to space the things that generally come to mind when you think of a hazard are light, heat, cold, radiation, vacuum, or gravity. Of those the only thing that I would associate force with would be gravity.

Remove ads