• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A small host of questions, rays and splits and chains and...

Scion

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Ask him, then, if Spell Turning protects against Disintegrate.

I will have to try that ;)

Although since it specifically calls out 'effect spells are not effected' I guess he might be able to say that actually is evidence for his position that it is normally effected.. but that is neither here nor there, thanks for the comparison point.

RigaMortus2

First Post
I too do not see the confusion here. It is what it is. Metapsionic feats interact a specific way with psionic powers. You need to make sure the right descriptors and entry lines (target, effect, range, etc.) all match up before you can apply them. Just like you can't Maximize a Charm Person power, since there is no damage in the power description to maximize. Same goes with the splitting of rays and chaining of powers.

Cabral

First Post
Ick, well, the Sblock tags make the post less daunting but they don't show up in the quotes ...

Scion said:
First off, energy conversion:
And the important questions: What do you think the maximum amount of energy that can be held for each type is? How much do you let off with each blast? How long could you do such blasts?
Maximum held: Unspecified. Unlimited? Remember you only absorb energy as Energy Adaptation Power so you can only absorb up to 30 pts of damage per attack. Anything more still stings.
Damage let off with each type: You decide up to a maximum of the energy you have stored.
How long: Until you ran of stored energy. After which you can get "recharged" up until the power's duration ends.
Scion said:
Now the aside questions dealing with this:

So, what do people think about manisting the above power with this metapsionic feat? Would it allow each of those rays to be split? Why or why not of course ;)
My interpretation is that since the power gives you the ability to fire rays, not manifest them, the feat does not apply. (Note: Weapon Focus (Ray) and Weapon Specialization (Ray) would)
Scion said:
Moving along, we get to this metapsionic feat:

Given this particular feat would you allow it to be placed on the current power with the purpose of having it work off of the rays.
No. The power that the feat would have to affect only affects you and does not deal damage (It allows you to redirect damage).
Scion said:
Moving right along:

Given something like this, and no it doesnt have to be this power specifically, would you allow someone to manifest such a power in one square, have the character standing in another, and have them reach various limbs into the wall in order to keep taking damage from it as if immersed while not actually being in the same square as it is. Why or why not, to all of them. I know it sounds pretty odd, but it is important for a different question./quote]
No. I would require that they stand in the same square in order to be immersed.
Scion said:
Going back to a question about chain power: What would happen if you applied it to a ray power such as the one below?
I would require attack rolls the secondary targets.
Scion said:
So, in the end it comes down to a few things really.
<SNiP>
4) energy wall, how could one (by the raw preferably) stick a limb across it taking damage while not actually being in its square? What would be good to say about such a thing if a player tried it? After all, it makes sense in the real world, so it can come up.
5) chain power, how does it interact with energy ray and the like?

The whys and hows within the raw are pretty important for each of these. I definately have my own views on the situation, but I would like to hear what everyone has to say. Thanks for the help!

4) I definately think you need to be immersed in the power/spell's effect to take immersion damage. However, I might allow for lesser damage for the character who wants to recharge his energy absorbtion in that manner :)

5) It's tough, I think the intent of chain power is to affect powers with Target: Single Target and Rays have Effect: Ray. However, I don't see a reason not to allow it to work with a secondary attack roll (perhaps at -5 to hit) for the secondary targets.

Scion

First Post
well, at least that helped to clear up a little.. although the split ray is still an issue and he just doesnt believe that 'targetted' means 'targetted'

good enough though, thanks for the thoughts ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads