A small preview of the new barbarian build in Heroes of the Feywild

WalterKovacs

First Post
I'm sure it's going to be like the hunter/scout ... martial attacks and primal utilities. It will be interesting to see if it goes with the 'rage turns you into a striker' thing, and how they do this versions rages (since that would probably not be through a daily as that wouldn't be much of a dual role class).

Grydan

First Post
Note that as that daily is listed as a Barbarian Attack 9, unless something as-yet unrevealed prevents it, they could opt to take a Rage instead.

Also, this power would be a legal choice for existing Barbarians (if, for some reason, they didn't want to rage, and wanted an effect that is useless for them...).

Dice4Hire

First Post
Note that as that daily is listed as a Barbarian Attack 9, unless something as-yet unrevealed prevents it, they could opt to take a Rage instead.

Also, this power would be a legal choice for existing Barbarians (if, for some reason, they didn't want to rage, and wanted an effect that is useless for them...).

MBA would do it.

Last edited:

KidSnide

Adventurer

This version of barbarian could also have a weaker form of rage as a class feature.

-KS

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I love Barbarians as strikers, but there's room for Defendery Barbarians, too. Personally, I would've liked to see my strikery barbarian a little less...Primal-flavored, so this hits a weird spot for me. :)

It's interesting that they use the Aura. I wonder how much thought went into how easy it generally is to avoid that thing, or if they eventually decided, "That's why you have a Controller in your party, man!"

I also wonder if they are fully capable of being Strikers AND Defenders (thus meaning a party doesn't need either of those...and perhaps stealing Rogue and Fighter thunder), or if they are only capable of being 1/2 striker + 1/2 defender (thus meaning that a party probably still needs both of those...but not a bad 5th wheel class maybe?). Personally, I'm kind of hoping for the former-- I'm kind of into the idea of everyone filling every role eventually, so that no one has to play a certain class. A Striker + Defender Barbarian frees up two other people to play what they feel like instead of what they have to play for party balance.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
This is probably one of those mixed role classes -- likely a defender that turns into a striker when he rages. Seems like a reasonable concept to me...

-KS

This is what I expect also. I could see the barbarian having a defender like base with an encounter primal class power that removes/limits their defender aura but grants Ws of damage for the rest of the encounter. Because a primal defender who snaps and gets all hopped up on fey crazy, spamming MBAs sounds just right.

This power mentions expanding the their Defender Aura by 1, so it isn't much use to Original/Totem Barbarians (or whatever you want to call them) since they don't have Defender Auras and really would just burn this for Rage Strike.

Dalamar

Adventurer
It could be useful to a Cavalier that multiclassed into Barbarian, though. First I was going to say Knight, but they don't have a way to gain Dailies, I think.

WalterKovacs

First Post
It could be useful to a Cavalier that multiclassed into Barbarian, though. First I was going to say Knight, but they don't have a way to gain Dailies, I think.

Also a Hybrid Cavalier/Barbarian could use it, but ultimately, lacking the vengeful guardian would probably hurt the value a bit. If a knight could get the power, their Battle Guardian would benefit from a bigger aura (it would probably work with a reach weapon), but the cavalier's interupt uses a melee 1 power, so it wouldn't benefit other than penalizing people's attack rolls.

DracoSuave

First Post
I look at it this way.... some of those barbarian rages are PRETTY nice in the hands of a defender.

'While raging, enemies can't charge your allies within X squares'
'Spend a healing surge. While raging, allies within 3 gain thp at the start of their turns'
'While raging, gain +4 to grabs, enemies take extra damage while grabbed'
'While raging, gain resist X all'

That's just from Primal Power.

Remove ads