A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Actually, I don't think they've quite left the covered area yet.

Now with a firm plan, the party minus Lasair walks southwest across the bridge with the escapees in tow. Some are mounted, some are not. None carry weapons.

[sblock=All except Lasair: ]Cludge rides with them for a ways. (Feel free to talk amongst yourselves or to the kids, if you wish.) Then the dwarf bids them farewell as he breaks away into the forest beside the path.

[sblock=Cludge: ]Cludge finds a nice place off the beaten path to hang out with his horse. Meliana dances around on his shoulders and tries to play games with him, tugging his ear with her spider-like crystalline legs and then skittering across his broad back to tug his other ear.[/sblock]
[sblock=Kurgahz, Shadya, and Conuld: ]The others continue onward without Cludge. An hour passes. Before much longer, they cross paths with a horse and wagon going the opposite direction. Whatever the wagon holds is hidden from sight by a large tan cloth. A long- and brown-haired man wearing a pointed, dark orange hat sitting on the wagon guides the horse with his reins. He pulls the horse to a stop when he sees the large group walking. "Whoa, whoa. Hey there folks. I see you've got some cuts on you. Is there trouble up ahead?" he asks, with a wary look.[/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Lasair: ]Lasair remains behind. She passes the time talking with Meliana, who seems to be playing with Cludge. Lasair waits about an hour and a half. Then she hears footsteps trudging up the road. Soon she sees four men dressed in hides. One of the men wears blue draperies over his clothes, she guesses he might be a priest. The other two carry spears. One seems like he is simply carrying out an order, and has little emotion that she can detect. The other spear-wielder has a glint of pride in his eyes, though he also is probably just following orders. The fourth man's hides seem to be of nice quality. He wears a frown on his face and his ziivash is rippling with passion that Lasair reads as murderous rage.[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Lasair]
"Hail travelers," Lasair calls out in Common and Sylvan, "Are you of the River Folk? I am Lasair Alant. I would speak with you."

(OOC: Diplomacy, as always, +18. Hopefully they'll begin the encounter indifferent, in which case, hoping for a 12+!)
[/SBLOCK]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Lasair: ]Not sure if I'm supposed to give you the results of the diplomacy rolls. I'll assume no, and we'll play it out.

The frowning man raises a hand as Lasair hails from the bridge. The men stop and look at her from a distance, debating quietly amongst themselves. The frowning man's frown diminishes a little, and he nods. The four men approach her. Lasair now sees that the frowning man's hair is black with much gray. He says, in Common, "We are. Say what you will." He is curt, but Lasair attributes that to whatever else is on his mind, he seems to wish her no ill.[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Lasair]*Lasair nods and approaches.*

"Very well then sir. I passed by some travelers heading the same way you are, just children really. They wanted me to return this to you," she holds up the bag, "They thought it held just enough silver to barely buy them food, but then someone explained to them that it was platinum, and so they've been desparately wanting to return it. When I heard their story, I agreed to wait and help them return it."

'What's the name of the emotional parasite...Oh right!'

"By the blessed waters of Galatea, I offer this to you, along with the sobbing heartfelt regret of those who took it, their faces wet with Galatea's tears as they realised what they had mistakenly done."

*She offers the money.*[/SBLOCK]

Solange

First Post
[sblock=Kurgahz, Shadya, and Conuld]"Many of these bridges bear bandits who watch them. We suspect trouble on the bridge up ahead will have passed by tomorrow, but it is always best to tread carefully here in the wetlands," Shadya says to the man. "Greetings, I am Shadya. How is the road further down from where you come from?"[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Lasair: ]The well-dressed man gives Lasair a dubious look at first, but then his expression softens a bit and he steps forward himself to take the bag. He peers inside and rifles through the contents. He nods and tosses the bag to one of the spear-wielders and barks a command at the man. The two spear-wielders begin counting the money.

The priest stands aside, quietly watching. The man says to Lasair, "You saw these children recently?"[/sblock]
[sblock=Kurgahz, Shadya, and Conuld: ]The man with the orange hat smiles grimly at Shadya. "Aye, miss, these are dangerous times. I take it you handled the bandits at the next bridge then?" He chuckles and gives Shadya a wink. Then he glances at Kurgahz and his smile fades. "The road behind me is clear all the way to the first bridge and beyond. Good to know there's brave folk like you keeping the roads safe." He smiles at Conuld, and then the smile slowly dissipates again as his eyes are inevitably drawn to the half-orc. He shakes his head and turns back to Shadya. "The wetlands, did you say? Your skin, your accent...
You hail from Sairundan, do you not
?"
His sentence segues fluidly into Sairundani.[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Lasair]'So he gives the orders. Good to know. I'll take it that's Jilna's father.'

"Yes, it was less than a day ago. They were hoping to find a new home. You are Jilna's father, yes? Tell me, with the money returned, will you continue to pursue them?"

(OOC: Assuming he answers affirmatively, she'll follow up with: "If you would, please, why must you continue?")[/SBLOCK]

Solange

First Post
[sblock=Kurgahz, Shadya, and Conuld]"We detured them. It was suggested that they leave by tomorrow, and they have no reason not to." Shadya says to the man. "And yes, I am from Sairundan."

"
You have been to Sairundan I take it?
"[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Lasair: ]The man's frown returns when Lasair mentions how long ago they passed by. He turns to his companions and says a few sentences. The priest shakes his head sadly. The man turns back to Lasair and says, "I am Jilna's father, yes. While it lifts a great weight from my heart to know that she did not intend to steal my material fortune from me, she has still left with my most treasured possession. She has violated the most fundamental traditions and laws laid down to us by Galatea herself so many years ago, and she and her companions must return, atone, and fulfill their duties. Jilna especially." The man's ziivash, calmer for a moment, flares up again. Lasair suddenly realizes that it's not murderous rage at all, it's terrible grief. She must have been mistaken before.

"So yes, we fully intend to continue our pursuit. They are not more than a day ahead of us, we have not lost them yet." Lasair quickly responds. He replies, "I am honor bound to deliver her to her husband. Once my oath has been made, I have no choice but to fulfill my promise to the best of my abilities. I am fortunate now to have my tribesmen beside me as I seek out my rebellious daughter, but even should they return, I cannot do so without her. Galatea's river runs straight, and her high rocky shores allow for no mistakes or exceptions."

One of the spear-wielders shouts something to Jilna's father. He looks surprised and turns back to Lasair. "Lasair Alant, I did not expect every platinum to be in that bag. I... I thank you for returning this. You are a woman of extraordinary honor. You will accept a small amount of compensation for your honesty and your time." This last statement is a command, not a request, and after the bag of coins is returned to him, he holds out 10 platinum for her to take.[/sblock]
[sblock=Kurgahz, Shadya, and Conuld: ]The man snorts. "Harumph! No reason not to? They have plenty reason not to, now that you're out of their hair!" He gestures towards Shadya's scimitars, "Deterred them, did you? Could have done more than that with those two things, I think." He adds in Sairundani, "
Indeed, in my days in the desert I saw the Sairundani perform truly amazing feats with their blades
."
He looks at Shadya with respect and a little glint of desire. But he quickly turns away to scan the path ahead of him for a moment, considering this new information. He finally says, "Well, I cannot risk losing my cargo. I will have to return to town and call the roadwardens." With that, he prepares to turn his wagon around.[/sblock]

Remove ads