• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Song of Ice & Fire RPG -- update

Aus_Snow

First Post
http://grrm.livejournal.com/13374.html

Sorry if this has already been posted here - I know this is a bit delayed, beyond the actual livejournal entry. And I know it's been posted (twice?) at RPGnet, but I thought people who don't necessarily frequent both forums might be interested.

Anyway, it sounds like good news to me. Any thoughts, or further info people have on this?

Glyfair

Explorer
Aus_Snow said:
Anyway, it sounds like good news to me. Any thoughts, or further info people have on this?

I'm not sure it is, at least for fans of the game. Effectively, it means it is dead.

Glyfair

Explorer
Aus_Snow said:

We're now all square, and that license has officially expired. It is not the ending that I would have hoped for, but I'm glad to have concluded things amicably.
There will be another RPG in the future.

Not, "there will be another company supporting the RPG" but "another RPG." That means that any new Song of Ice & Fire RPG products will be for a future RPG, not the existing one.

I've heard good things about this RPG. A future RPG may not be as good.

Yes, you can always run with the main book while you can find a copy. However, anyone who is looking for support is out of luck (especially since he doesn't mention getting any rights to the RPG, just the leftover stock).

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Glyfair said:
Not, "there will be another company supporting the RPG" but "another RPG." That means that any new Song of Ice & Fire RPG products will be for a future RPG, not the existing one.

I've heard good things about this RPG. A future RPG may not be as good.

Yes, you can always run with the main book while you can find a copy. However, anyone who is looking for support is out of luck.
True enough. I should've made my OP clearer, perhaps. I meant "good news" as compared with "nothing at all ever again", basically.

I agree, it's a great pity that the GoO [R.I.P. :(] version is now more than officially OOP, so to speak. On the other hand though, I look forward to seeing what RPG (line, hopefully) might come out of this, and from where exactly.

Xyanthon

First Post
I would love to see ASoIF again in RPG form. I own the Deluxe edition and it is a fantastic product. However, Westeros deserves to live on in another RPG format.

Banshee16

First Post
It's bittersweet. I'd love to see the game continue. Unfortunately, my sneaky suspicion is that even if the RFP is created again, it won't be the same system, and I'm pretty confident it won't be D20....which means I likely won't have an opportunity to enjoy it :(

Oh well, the book I already have is pretty sweet. Even if it's never expanded, hopefully I can get a chance to play or run it in the future.

Banshee

Nifft

Penguin Herder
There's always that PDF which came with the RPG pre-order.
He could sell those, right? He could sell those and allow Lulu.com or whatever to print them on demand, too, right?

Cheers, -- N

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
While I love the d20 version (the rules for Influence and Reputation rock the farm), I think Song of Ice & Fire would be served by a diceless system similar to Amber.

Remove ads