• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Variant Sorcerer With Personalized Flavor

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I am not saying the sorcerer is a weak class. I simply feel that the sorcerer could use a little spice, something to make him unique. Some way to make him feel like he has a special place. The sorcerer as-is is not a class lacking power. It is a class lacking flair. Wizards are far more versatile and get bonus feats to boot. Many sorcerers are built with similar spells. It is just difficult to feel like one sorcerer is really that unique compared to another.

Sorcerers are already personalized to the extent that two sorcerers will rarely have the same spell list. However, the sorcerer class description implies that there may be even more untapped versatility within the sorcerer. It is often overlooked, but the sorcerer class description actually says that his spells are "drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard list." This implies that sorcerers can draw their spells from other lists. But how would a DM decide which spells to allow? It offers no help in that regard. But I have. Check out this variant sorcerer and see what you think.

Quick List of Changes
-Bluff no longer a class skill; sorcerers may choose any one skill as a class skill at 1st level
-Summon familiar is a 2nd level ability
-Sorcerers get eclectic learning at 3rd and every odd level thereafter (similar to warmage variant from PH2, except spell can be from any spell list)
-The ability to swap a spell 2 levels lower than the highest a sorcerer can cast has been made into a class ability, making sticking with the sorcerer base class a more attractive option. This helps compensate for the slight boost of power they get from eclectic learning by discouraging prestige classes.
-No dead levels!

Attachments

• Sorcerer.pdf
    64.8 KB · Views: 116

Vrecknidj

Explorer
I like it. I have a player who wanted to pick some non-standard spells, and we decided that if a bard has it on his list, then a sorcerer could pick from that list as well, but I like that you have a mechanic in place to handle the issue.

Dave

Jens

First Post
I like it. I think spell swap and extra spells known will be hard to pass up for prestige class benefits. Of course the extra spells known (from any spell list!) is quite a boost but it's probably needed to make the class as attractive as a prestice class.

Some random thoughts:

The skill-list is *really* short, just like the PHB. I know it would be something extra, but I'd consider giving another class skill which must be charisma-based.

Except for 0th and 1st-level spells, eclectic learning makes the effective number of spells known 1-2-2-4-4-... which I don't think is a very nice progression. I'm not sure what to do about it, though. It is preferable to keep the standard number of spells known, which makes both spell swap and eclectic learning "fit" best at even levels.

How about requiring the eclectic spells to be themed somehow?

How about some other option(s) than getting a familiar? I know the sorcerer doesn't have to summon a familiar, but maybe give something else instead? (maybe class skills, skill points, etc?)

You have not added metamagic feats or eschew materials as many modified sorcerers get. I'm not sure what I think about that.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Jens, eclectic learning gives the sorcerer a different benefit than it gives the warmage. It only adds the spell to the sorcerer's spell list, but it does not add it to the sorcerer's list of spells known. A sorcerer must still use one of his spells known slots to learn the spell. So it is not an overall increase in the number of spells known for the sorcerer, simply an increase in the number of spells a sorcerer can draw his spells known from.

Notmousse

First Post
Here's an odd thought. Why not make the sorcerer a spont. caster able to select his primary spell list, and then able to add spells from other lists as he progresses?

Would make for a decidedly more adaptable class, and could potentially freak out people whenever they see a guy dressed in robes without portable library on him.

"Who's that down the road?"
"Dunno boss, but I think he's a sorcerer..."
"Crap! Does he have holy symbols? tatoos? a pet? Damnit of all the luck! Could be flamestrike, fireball, or blood missiles for all we know!"

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
At that point, why not simply use the spellcaster class from unearthed arcana?

My reasoning would be to say there is an association between sorcerers and dragons. Dragons are masters of arcane magic primarily, although they do receive a smattering of divine magic. Giving them the druid list or cleric list wouldn't fit the sorcerer flavor.

Notmousse

First Post
I'd be hesitant to call dragons masters of any kind of magic honestly.

Though their expanded options in I believe it was draconomicon makes their magic much more interesting.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Almost all dragons eventually get 9th level spells. I would say that makes them pretty masterful. I suppose it depends on your definition though.

Either way, the bottom line is that true dragons are primarily associated with arcane magic as opposed to divine magic.

Notmousse

First Post
6 of 10 true dragons eventually get 9th level spells if they manage to live to Great Wyrm. That's 12 centuries and a minimum of 37 HD to get what a sorcerer may learn within a human lifetime and 18 HD.

At the edges of human lifespan your more powerful dragons are casting 3rd level spells.

But as you're against them not having arcane spells here's another thought.

Every so many levels (4 or 5?) they gain the ability to add any one spell list to their own, but are cast as arcane spells. This would make sense as dragons have spell like abilities which mimic druid and cleric spells (as well as spells on other spell lists I'm sure).

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Notmousse said:
Every so many levels (4 or 5?) they gain the ability to add any one spell list to their own, but are cast as arcane spells. This would make sense as dragons have spell like abilities which mimic druid and cleric spells (as well as spells on other spell lists I'm sure).

That's almost exactly what I'm suggesting, only with a little bit more frequency, enough to have one divine spell at almost every level.

Remove ads